Anyone grow their own chillis?

Good size plants!..If I get chance will pop in ours over the weekend.

Still no sign of the home grown seeds. Since I have a feeling that they were from before I was ill, they're probably from 2011 or even before then, so could well be past it! Never mind, got 6 healthy Hungarian Hot Wax plants coming along - must pot them on later this weekend.

Yes mate good chance they are passed it but you never know!Should have lots of seeds available next year if you want any.Just cover postage and I will send some out to you if there is anything i am growing you fancy.

Not sure my fundamental orifice could take any of your exotica!!! Cheers for the offer though. At least the seeds were freebies so nothing wasted - I'll stick something else in the fibre pots filled with seed compost so they're not wasted either. Used the chilli that the seeds came from as well. (Nod's law states that now I've given up on the chillies, the buggers will sprout!!!)

lol I do grow a few milder ones as well mate..purple jalepenos,tam jalepenos,finger chilli and cheyenne as well as scotch bonnets etc.(meant to say this year in my previous post) I have some habenero seeds and purple jalepenos if interested?

Last edited:
The 6 plants I've got will be more than enough to keep us going, even if we only grow 1/2 of them on to maturity. Much as we enjoy them, there's a limit to how many we can eat and/or dry!

First pods are out!Got some cayennes developing and looks like a few of the super hot plants will be flowering up early as well!

Nice one..most of mine are in their final pots now except maybe 10 or so plants.Will get them potted on after the weekend.

Just giving my chilli's and peppers a bit of a sun bathe, not something you can do to often in Manchester. I planted these as seeds at the end of January, so not really come on much quicker. I would have expected them to be at this stage a month ago.

_DSC3000_zpsmsd4madm.jpg

My scotch bonnet died while I was on holiday. I set up a sprinkler in the greenhouse but didn't realise the SB wasn't getting water. Jalapinos will be harvested soon I think.

Guess who just talked her husband into a polytunnel ;) I'll hopefully be able to get more adventurous.

Well, that can be taken at least 2 ways... ;) At least if you get it all steamy the neighbours won't be able to view the adventures!

There's an idea!!!

You may all know this but I was in Morrisons yesterday and spotted that they were selling the tubs that the cut flowers are stored in. 8 really big tubs for 99p. One of my packs had 9 tubs, the other had 10. They look like they would be good for chilli plants.

My polytunnel is sitting in the driveway just now so i'll be growing lots next year.

Well I tried to grow chillis this year and ended up with poor sad looking plants and no sign of any chillis. Wondering if we bought a bad batch of seeds are just rubbish gardeners. Still this thread inspired me.

Well I tried to grow chillis this year and ended up with poor sad looking plants and no sign of any chillis. Wondering if we bought a bad batch of seeds are just rubbish gardeners. Still this thread inspired me.

I've had a decent year growing store bought plants. I used the chilli feed that was previously mentioned in this thread. Next year I plan on trying seeds again. South Devon Chilli Farm has been recommended here so going to order a few packs of seeds or maybe one of the bulk buy offers.

I've had a decent year growing store bought plants. I used the chilli feed that was previously mentioned in this thread. Next year I plan on trying seeds again. South Devon Chilli Farm has been recommended here so going to order a few packs of seeds or maybe one of the bulk buy offers.

Thanks for this. Hope for more success.

4 days of building. Now to kit out the inside.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 7
Probably January for me too - at least I'll do a couple then! I'm going to try overwintering the current batch of Hungarian Hot Waxes even though they were a little disappointing this year. Each has produced just a single (but good sized and hot/tasty) pod but the plants seem healthy enough! I'll pot them on again and keep them just mildly moist until they start growing again. If they fail completely, they don't owe me much other than a couple of litres of compost and some feed!

Yep got to sort my greenhouse out soon ready for this season..

I have a morouga Trinidad scorpion in my flat. Don't have a garden so it's just in the window but for some reason I've only ever had one chilli. The flowers seem to die rather than developing into chilli's but I don't know why.

They need to be quite warm mate for them to produce lots of chillis,super hots dont tend to do well indoors

The Hungarian Hot Waxes I grew from seed last year have started flowering again and I have 2 nascent fruits on one of them. Must pot them on before they start going too mad!

This will be my second year growing chillies after a quite successful 2015 season. I planted a good variety of hot chilly seeds on the 1st of January this year and most have germinated and are progressing well. I have struggled germinating some of the super-hot seeds, have re-planted some but I live in hope these will soon start growing.

This year I have knocked up a "Hot Box" comprising of a old old wine case, a bubble wrap and timber lid, a 60W bulb and a thermostat which has been great for germination, allowing me to control the heat and keeping a constant 85 degrees. All seeds were sown in egg cartons and some started showing about a week after planting.

028.JPG

Once seeds were large enough I transferred them into my home made "Light Box" comprising of a recycling box, a lid, lots of bubble wrap and silver foil, a small LED light-pad (£15 From Flee-Bay) 2 PC fans and a 40W bulb (just for a little heat) and this has worked very well.

025.JPG

Now I have run out of space some plants are now growing happily on my kitchen window sill.

023.JPG

I did save two Scots Bonnets plants from last year, cut them down and transplanted smaller pots and over wintered them in the greenhouse.Hoping these will give a good
crop in the summer

022.JPG

Has anyone struggled with purple jalapeno? My greens all germinated but quite a small % of the purple.

I bought a chilli plant from sainsburys that was full of chillies. Kept this living for months to the point I had to freeze a lot which I am now just running out of. Only paid about £2 for it.

Back