Anyone have an Argos Deluxe Gas BBQ?

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
If so, how is it as I am thinking of getting one? I normally stay clear of stuff like this from B&Q etc... but the reviews I have seen are largely positive.

Always used to use gas but went for charcoal last time, and its just too much faff for small family cooking.

I made the mistake of getting a gas BBQ a few years ago. Never again. :facepalm:

Firstly, food cooked on it doesn't taste anything like BBQ food - you may as well cook it indoors.

Secondly, they're a pig to clean; the grease gets everywhere and you just can't get at it. At least with a real one, you can just bag it all up once it's cold and you're done.

We bought a 3 burner Camping Gaz BBQ a couple of months ago https://www.campingaz.com/uk/p-26802-3-series-classic-ls-barbecue.aspx
Not overly expensive and all the plates come out to wash or put in a dishwasher.

Be aware you can only get Calor Gas if you have an existing bottle
All dealers have been told due to a shortage not to sell new bottles.
Fortunately we had a 13kg Propane cylinder and the local boatyard had similar in stock to exchange

Last edited:
Be aware you can only get Calor Gas if you have an existing bottle
All dealers have been told due to a shortage not to sell new bottles.

I hope not - I've just ordered a new one and had delivery confirmed, although there were limited choices re size available

Last edited:
No idea about Flogas, but there was a printed sign when I went to the local Calor stockist.

Easy to tell if you have been charged for gas only or a bottle
13kg propane is about 40 quid for an exchange or approx £80 for a new full cylinder

Last edited:
No idea about Flogas, but there was a printed sign when I went to the local Calor stockist.

Easy to tell if you have been charged for gas only or a bottle
13kg propane is about 40 quid for an exchange or approx £80 for a new full cylinder

I did order & pay for a new cylinder. The 13 kg size wasn't available, just the 5

I have a system these days... pretty much all meats get cooked med rare in my DIY sous vide cooker when first purchased. If it's not for that days meal, it then gets put into the freezer.
When it's time to grill I let the meat come up/down to room temp and finish on my grill's infrared searing burner... but here's the kicker; I put a small handful of grilling wood chips directly on the burner for smoke/flavoring/flame. The IR sear burner runs so hot that the wood chips only leave behind a faint layer of light ash; and I don't use a lot of them to start with... It doesn't even really require any cleanup. Plus the sear burner comes up to temp very quickly and finishes the meat in just a few minutes.

I almost never use the main grill box anymore...

Gas braais are great if you're in a hurry and want to grill steaks, chops or burgers but charcoal gives the food a far better flavour. You just have to allow extra time for the coals to burn down a bit. Roasts are no contest, charcoal wins every time! :)

That's good, perhaps they have got some more in stock now then.
When you get a Calor bottle for the first time you should of paid for and completed a cylinder agreement - this can be a carbon copied form or more recently given a card with the onus on the purchaser to register online or by post. The agreement gives you the ability to return the bottle and not get another one and recieve a partial refund. There are so many unregistered bottles that they now do not have enough to refill so they will only deliver a filled bottle to a retailer if they are given an empty one in return. This means that if we issue a new bottle eventually we will have none to exchange with calor for filled ones. The retailer gets charged the cylinder and gas cost for each filled cylinder delivered and then gets a credit back for each empty they return. In the past we would give them one of the carbon copy forms instead of an empty cylinder. The 5kg patio propane are not effected by this issue.

Lighting a "real" barbecue is an almost certain call for rain before it's ready to cook on so we have a small Weber gas one. No, it's not the same as it is over charcoal but it's close enough for us!

+1 for a Weber, Had mine for 3 years now and apart from the crud it's as good as new. The body of the bbq is cast aluminium and that means a big difference in longevity over steel ones.

Got a gas and a charcoal Weber. The charcoal gets most use and it’s up and running in 15 mins if you use a chimney starter. Gas one is used for quick stuff like burgers for tea etc. Both have rotisseries for chicken and joints of meat. The charcoal one also gets used for long and slow brisket and pulled pork. Decent charcoal, a starter chimney and a temperature probe and a bit of practice is all you need.

Well, the main issue is finding BBQs in the £200-400 range in stock! Seems like there is very little around.

Tried today to get a Camping Gaz 907 bottle refill, no luck anywhere.
Not sure what is causing these shortages, is it demand or supply isues?

*looks*
All the folks selling empty 904/907's on the bay can't be helping.
Aren't they CG's property?

*looks*
But CG won't let you swap one size for another if you don't have the original paper work, which for me is lost in the mists of time. I can get a refilled one for the one I have but not swap it for a different size so what are you supposed to do? Sell it on fleabay is the obvious option

*looks*

No, Calor Gas you pay a deposit, Camping Gaz you buy the bottle outright.
Can even buy an empty 907 in Halfords, not much use if you can't then get a refilled one for it

Tried today to get a Camping Gaz 907 bottle refill, no luck anywhere.
Not sure what is causing these shortages, is it demand or supply isues?

Not sure what type you have but I walked into Flogas on Barnwell rd Cambridge yesterday and got a gaslight bottle (10kg as 5 not in stock) but had other metal bottles there too.

Back