Anyone have any experience of Digital cutters (like Silhouette) ....a bit off topic!

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening all, a bit off topic this i know - but wondering if anyone has used one of these digital cutters? - have seen them online, but wondered what they're like in practice - are they any good, and how small could i cut text in sticky back plastic - say for titles to stick on the wall or on the mounts?

Cheers

I have just sold my silhouette....it is great for large letters but crap for anything small or in a script font....never used it to cut card....I only bought it as the project cost from a printer was a lot more than buying the machine and vinyl . Easy to use......no good for mounts unless you use a block font and it really can't be much smaller than an inch or you ruin into trouble....imho

Thanks Archangel - i was thinking of using it with vinyl - but wanted the lettering to be small (~5mm high) - so it sounds like this'll be no good ...saves me some cash i guess!

My partner has been using one for a while. Cutting small letters is a bit footery. (her words not mine) :)

Ha that's a new one for me :D!
... "A bit footery" - but not impossible?!

If what you are describing is anything like the plotter cutters used in the sign industry to cut the 'modern' vinyl materials perhaps it would be cheaper to find a local such company and get them cut professionally saves the capex of buying your own hardware ;)

Plus FWIW the process of removing the waste material is called weeding and can be very fiddly where the fonts are small especially serif styles. Just read the 5mm high! that IMO is pushing the limits of the cutting method and the ease of weeding :( Perhaps best to go talk to a sign company that do the process 'every day' so to speak?

Last edited:
They are nothing like plotters

Ah! so its main function is for cutting templates??? I was reading into the OP's post about cutting letters in s/a vinyl which I surmised was for "signage" type applications i.e. using the cut letters not a template.

It cuts templates and vinyl......you can make signs, cards and other weird stuff......

It's used by crafters for making cards mostly I think

Hi

We have one, somewhere. Not used in ages but uses the vector type lines and can either trace them (put in a pen) or cut them (put in a knife, specially came with the printer/cutter).

It can do really thin cuts, but the paper needs to be very good and you need a lot of patice to pull/tease it off of the sticky plastic loaded.

Cannot remember the brand, but I thought it was better than the pre-set cutters as you can put any vector graphic in (even ones you made up).

The wife was using it with scrapbooking to cut the photos or letters out before sticking on a page.

Robo-Craft perhaps was the name ?

Is this the thing you meant ?

Back