Anyone Have The Nokton 58mm Yet?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Just wondering if anyone has this lens and what they think of it?

And out of interest, how much is a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 worth second hand as I need to sell to upgrade?

Never mind. Just ordered one.:D

If you wanted to sell the nifty fifty then the forum is looking forone to go 'on tour' and am sure it would be well received at the right price (and of course be used for a good cause (y))

Don't worry - you'll love it. Its bloody lovely to use and shots just look the biz with this lens :)

That is good to hear. Though I have done a little research and it does seem the first batch of these lenses are prone to over exposing. I will have to see what copy I get.

is it a nifty replacement? What are the comparisons? On the lookout Gor a nifty 1.4...but open to alternatives, cash not massive issue...

is it a nifty replacement? What are the comparisons? On the lookout Gor a nifty 1.4...but open to alternatives, cash not massive issue...

Yes it's pretty much a nifty fifty but on a cropped sensor it works out 87mm so perfect for portraits. The lens is supposed to be of spectacular quality. It's a AIS lens, so manual focus only but will meter fine.

I did read through a thread here about there being some problems with over exposing on some models.

I will be doing some tests with mine as soon as it arrives and will report back with the results.

Yes it's pretty much a nifty fifty but on a cropped sensor it works out 87mm so perfect for portraits. The lens is supposed to be of spectacular quality. It's a AIS lens, so manual focus only but will meter fine.

I did read through a thread here about there being some problems with over exposing on some models.

I will be doing some tests with mine as soon as it arrives and will report back with the results.

What do they cost?

Ouch. Manual Focus may be the killer for me, I struggle with auto focus :LOL:

It's more than I would of ever normally consider spending on this type of lens. But if you look up some example shots (look for tags on flickr) then you will be amazed at the quality of this glass.

I got mine with the hood delivered for about £220 a couple of days after Christmas and it doesn't overexpose... I got it from Camera Quest in the States so I could have returned it if needed, but all I've had from this lens is sheer joy... the OOF blur is better than any other lens I've used and it stays sharp even wide open, but at F2.5 or F2.8 it has a really pleasing mix of both center sharpness and creamy bokeh that's perfect for isolating whatever your subject is. At F4 (or more) it's really something and always retains it's character despite its sharpness (sharper than the 70-200mm F2.8 VR I had).

It makes what can normally be a very average photo come alive and setting the camera to B&W with the ISO up high can return really satisfying shots of just about anything :)

Manual focusing with this lens is a real pleasure too, it's built so well and damped really nicely - its my favourite lens by miles but then I don't get as much enjoyment from letting my camera AF and imo shooting wide open benefits from MF anyway because that way you don't get shots with the end of people's noses really sharp with slightly soft eyes etc.

If you couldn't already tell - I love mine :)

If you couldn't already tell - I love mine :)

I would of never of guessed :LOL: Good review and this is the feedback I've mostly been hearing about this lens. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Back