Anyone in the Skipton area

Name
Trev
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys. On Friday and Saturday this week (27/28 Sept) I am taking my wife to a meeting in Skipton. While she is there I'm going to have a few hours to fill. I was wondering if anyone knows of any suitable places for wildlife photography, or even any other place that's worth visiting in the area.

Thanks on advance

Trev

Take a drive up to Settle, you have the Yorks Dales Falconry centre, then you can go to the Ribblehead Vaiduct and if you have the time Malham Cove / Goredale Scar and Janets Foss ( The last 3 are virtually all together at Malham).
Alternatively go to Bolton Abbey and see the steam railway and have a walk along the River wharfe and get some good landscape shots and pix of the Abbey Ruins.
I fact thinking about it if you go from Skipton to Barden ( back roads) you have the ruins at Barden Tower and you are at the top end of the Bolton Abbey Estate so you can drive down to the Abbey and then go back to skipton and see the railway on the way back.
Have a nice weekend the forecast is not too bad

If you are going to Barden Tower, park your car afterwards at Barden Bridge and take a walk up the river towards Appletreewick. Plenty of wildlife and river landscapes there. THIS was taken between Barden and Appletreewick. There are several other pics on my Flickr taken around there.
There are two pubs at Appletreewick, both good, but the best is the Craven Arms, worthy of some pictures itself!

"There are two pubs at Appletreewick, both good, but the best is the Craven Arms, worthy of some pictures itself"

That brings back memories, I spent many a happy evening propping that bar up!

Chris

Thanks Guys, that really is appreciated, I know it was late when I posted especially as I am off tomorrow morning. You have sure given me some places to look at, I'm looking forward to it now :)

Thanks again (y)

Thanks Guys, that really is appreciated, I know it was late when I posted especially as I am off tomorrow morning. You have sure given me some places to look at, I'm looking forward to it now :)

Thanks again (y)

No problem, enjoy your outing!

Bugger, wish i`d have seen this earlier Trev.

Not much use now, but that is my stomping ground.

Bugger, wish i`d have seen this earlier Trev.

Not much use now, but that is my stomping ground.

Must try to avoid you next time I'm up there! :D

(This Wednesday)

You`ll not see me mate. Unless I pop to the great chippy on the bridge.....:D

Hi Ade, thanks for commenting, and yes, maybe we could have met up again, never mind, next time eh.

The advice here gave me good ideas of where to head to in the time I had, and that was useful. Time didn't allow me to do it all, so I headed for Settle and started to work round from there. I ended up at Staninforth bridge and falls, a lovely place, and with the great weather it was a nice place just to be. I did work my way to a few other places you suggested and enjoyed them and managed to give the camera a bit of a workout too.

Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate all your advice (y)

Last edited:
Were the salmon running the falls Trev, bit early I think, but they may have been early?

Were the salmon running the falls Trev, bit early I think, but they may have been early?
No they weren't, I spoke to a couple of locals who came up to chat, they think another 2 weeks before they are there. I was thinking of maybe coming up again if I hear they are running, it would be a good opportunity to see them.

Back