Anyone in with an eye for interior decor?

DorsetDude

Spud
Name
Keith
Edit My Images
Yes
I cant make me mind up or get ideas.
Ive got a lounge, 20 foot long by about 11 foot wide, dining table one end, telly/sofa the other. Has a new armchair and sofa in that are mid to light grey, the light switches and lights are brushed steel/nickel. That I am happy with. I want a contempory/uncluttered feel to the lounge.
The walls have dado rails round which I intend to keep and have different above than below.
The question is what colours shall I go for on the wall and should I go for wallpaper either above or below the dado? Im thinking one half of the wall should maybe be a pale grey to tie in with the sofa. Other than that Im struggling on what might work?
Oh there are also three windows, one large double and two quite small little squares. At the moment these have roller blinds over them, currently dark brown, but that could also be changed to fit in with any scheme. The "wood" in the room; shelves, table are oak/beech finish if thats a factor.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

A photo or two would probably be of great help?

Plain colour of your choice above the dado and stripy paper hung horizontally below it?

The dado rail isn’t really in keeping with “contemporary/uncluttered feel” I don’t think.

Unless your house is a period property and you’re decorating accordingly, I’d get rid of it as it will look dated and at odds with a more contemporary and modern appearance.

Keep it simple - plain white walls. Let the furniture and curtains add colour - less decorating involved. :D

I know it works because I've been doing it for forty plus years . . .

What flooring do you have?
Have you got a favourite colour that would go with a grey theme?
Agree with @ Al1944 try the colour checker .

Dado or picture rail? Laura Ashley linen emulsion goes well, that's what my Mrs has done our walls in, grey large check cloth settees, plain wood floors. Windows dressed in plain curtains in Laura Ashley pale grey and a blind with a subtle pattern. We have a picture rail, white above to tie in with white ceiling. Hth

Back