Anyone know how I can trace a car reg?

MattEg

TPer Emeritus
Name
Matthew Egan
Edit My Images
No
I was hit in the side of my car this morning on a round-about while on the school run.
The other driver carried on round to the next exit, then failed to stop.

I have a reg number but I think one of the digits is incorrect.
My local police can't trace the reg I gave them.

Can I get details from anywhere using the car details:
Make, model and partial reg?

Any help would be appreciated.

If you don't wish to post in the thread please use the PM tool.

Matt

insurance quotes......try one of them?

I've seen coppers go to jail for passing out that kind of info and I doubt you'd get it anywhere else. Best thing is to hope the guy is local and you see him again.

I'm not asking anyone to break the law.

Some of the info can be found on the WWW, I just need pointing in the right direction.

I will be camping on the same road in the morning, so if i see it again I will have my camera in hand to record all of the detail.

It doesn't sound promising Matt. It's not uncommon for people to get the reg no wrong in the short time they usually have to see it and remember it. Some stress is obviously involved too usually, which doesn't help. Once the number comes up as obviously wrong, then the permutations are endless, as you don't really know how many digits/letters are wrong. The police will try endless permutations for say, a murder enquiry, but they're not going to do it for a RTA.

The other problem is that wherever this info is held on a computer then it' s subject to the provisions of The Data Protection Act and people who have access and pass on info to unauthorised persons are in the deep deep brown stuff. It's a sacking offence at the very least in any job.

Don't know if this will help or even be free, but what about a HP credit check or right off check whatever it's called. If you think you are only one number off, tell them it's fell off.

Matt said:
I will be camping on the same road in the morning, so if i see it again I will have my camera in hand to record all of the detail.

Sounds like a plan. How bad is his damage likely to be? Remember he's likely to try and get it sorted as soon as he can. If it's minor he may not bother.

Thanks gents for your response.

I have checked on the carwatch site and think I have the full reg.
I am in the process of checking other permutations, as it will narrow it down.

Thanks again

You could always try hypnotism if nothing else works :)

Have you actually reported the accident to the police? They can do a thing called a VODS check which is software that will try and match the make, model and colour of car to an incorrect or partial index. The average desk jockey might not know that. All though data protection normally prevents the details of a registered keeper being given out under the Road Traffic Act there is an obligation to ensure that all parties get the details of the other people involved.

Digital SPG said:
Have you actually reported the accident to the police?
Yes I did this straight away.
I will call into my local police station in the morning and see what can be done.
I've noticed since that we have cctv on the round-about, which is under police control, so might get some info from this.

Steve said:
Sorry to read about this Matt. Is everyone ok?
Yes, I was fortunate though as an artic was on the other side of me.

Back