Anyone know how to repair a noisy tumble dryer? (Hotpoint)

Marcel

Kim Jong Bod
Admin
Name
Marcel
Edit My Images
Yes
We have a Hotpoint VTD00, and for a while it was making a scrap/clunk noise (like there is a belt buckle or something in the dryer rising and dropping every second or two).
Anyway, its just got worse.

It now sounds like a horrible scraping noise. Dryer still heats as far as I can tell, and there is still air coming out (I think), drum turns fine (turning it by hand is still stiff, like it's always been).

Im not sure how to get the side off to see if theres anything dropped and is scraping. Apart from the horribly loud noise it makes, it seems to be fine visually and in operation.

Any ideas?

We have the free 5 year parts warranty with Hotpoint, but they charge "from" £89 for a callout, which unless its a really expensive part, aint worth it.

Not sure whether to call a local guy out and risk paying him a 40 quid callout or whatever, plus parts.

Theres an inner and outer drum as far as I know. Things get stuck in between them, but I dont think you can get inside the outer drum....

If it was mine, I'd have it apart and in bits on the garage floor. Dont know if I'd be able to fix it, or even put it back together, but I'd have a bloddy good go before I called a "service engineer"

We have a Hotpoint CTD00 and it's been a noisy bugger since day one anyway. the next one wont be a Hotpoint! :puke:

Probably a bearing that's gone and now seized up. Buy a new one m8 they are cheap enough starting at £100 and you get a years guarantee.

Have you checked the filters or if you have a flexy pipe extracting the hot air outside it may be blocked or kinked
Causing the drum to overheat

Nope, this is with the dryer pulled out.

I'll try and get a video up ;) That would actually help.

Well I think I've half found the problem.

Managed to get the side off and turning the drum manually, the scraping is there, if I lift the front of the drum slightly (mm's), or pull the 'rear' of the cabinet away ever so slightly (again, mm's), then the noise almost goes. So it seems the rear of the drum is catching on the rear of the cabinet.

Now it's either the front support that has worn/gone, OR the rear spindle in the centre of the drum. I have no idea which.

We close our kitchen door, that seems to stop the noise :LOL:

Sorry - not helpful... too much wine

LOL :D

inaneredstripe...You're right. Had a chap out today (Free callout from the local paper type thing), and he said it was the rear bearings.

Cost including labour, 59 quid :crying:

I can get the parts myself for 12 quid...not sure if its an easy job or not though.

for 12 quid its worth giving it a go, whats the worst that can happen? you'll have to call the engineer and it;ll cost you £59, so you may as well try the cheap option first, its probably an easy job

on the other side of the cabinet where the drum is scraping against is all the wiring for the heater elements and thermostats, it happened to our tumbler,a hotpoint (actually an indesit) and in the end the drum cut right through the cabinet and the wiring, it then tripped the rcd on the mains.........it turned out to be the front bearing which was felt and glued to the drum that had worn and come loose, we had had previous problems with start relays and stuff so we chucked it and got a new one.

I was right first! :p

We ended up buying the cheapest no brand tumble dryer in Currys because it was the only integrated one that was as shallow as our old one. 2 years now it is still working fine <looks for wood to touch>.
My suggestion is get down to your local sheds and look out for managers special type deals - don't waste money on the old one.

Sometimes i good ol' kick works :D But then again, you could end up breaking your ankle then the washing machine won't be the only thing that needs fixing :D

Back