Anyone know some good portrait photographers with instruction articles

Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I tried to google it, but I am not sure if I can trust results there..

I plan to shoot something else than landscapes, particularly portrait.

I think there should be some difference on the techniques between those two types of photography.

Can anyone recommend me some good portrait photographers who offer instruction articles/videos?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi,

I think there should be some difference on the techniques between those two types of photography.

Can anyone recommend me some good nature/cityscapes photographers who offer instruction articles/videos?

Thank you!

ISTR @DG Phototraining on this very site teaches both portrait and landscape stuff.

The technical bits are the same - use light to emphasise or disguise shape & texture, choose a shutter speed to freeze motion (or not) and a suitable aperture for the mood you're trying to convey. Compose to suit yourself.

Portraiture has two additional aspects - engagement with the subject and posing to flatter a subject's features & body. I don't think there's much crossover between landscape & portraiture on those.

ISTR @DG Phototraining on this very site teaches both portrait and landscape stuff.

The technical bits are the same - use light to emphasise or disguise shape & texture, choose a shutter speed to freeze motion (or not) and a suitable aperture for the mood you're trying to convey. Compose to suit yourself.

Portraiture has two additional aspects - engagement with the subject and posing to flatter a subject's features & body. I don't think there's much crossover between landscape & portraiture on those.

Cheers @juggler and you're right of course, I talk to both Landscape & Portrait subjects but rarely have useful responses from Landscapes :D

Looks like the OP lives in London, so just getting up to me & back could double the fee if using trains and an overnight stop; pity as I was in London the last 3 days! Could have met up for a chat for the cost of a pint :D

Dave

Hi,

Can anyone recommend me some good nature/cityscapes photographers who offer instruction articles/videos?

Thank you!
I don't understand why would you want instruction on portraits from someone who shoots landscape? Whilst some people can do both, they're unrelated and one is irrelevant to the other.

The general principals of photography are universal.

Interesting composition
A story
Light that accentuates that

The way to take a good picture of your subject is to like your subject enough to take an interest. So that's the same whether it's lakes and mountains, the built environment, steam trains, insects or people.

Last edited:
I don't understand why would you want instruction on portraits from someone who shoots landscape? Whilst some people can do both, they're unrelated and one is irrelevant to the other.

The general principals of photography are universal.

Interesting composition
A story
Light that accentuates that

The way to take a good picture of your subject is to like your subject enough to take an interest. So that's the same whether it's lakes and mountains, the built environment, steam trains, insects or people.

Hi Phil, thanks for the advice.
It was a typo and I meant portrait photographers who offer instructions. I didn't what I was thinking when I was writing the post.....

Hi Phil, thanks for the advice.
It was a typo and I meant portrait photographers who offer instructions. I didn't what I was thinking when I was writing the post.....

Most of the online portraiture tutorials I've seen tend to be concerned with lighting or posing. Very few discuss interaction with the subject and that's the hard bit. Peter Hurley and Sue Bryce might be useful though I don't really go for the style of either. This video by Jerry Ghionis might be of interest, too:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmi9TPQ57Mo

Back