Anyone know where these were taken?

Name
Dini
Edit My Images
Yes
I didn't know, but it didn't take much of a Google to identify it. You already have enough clues. As Ratters didn't want the location named, I shan't. But really, it isn't difficult to find out ;)

Well it also says Mendips (which doesn't help much as most Somerset quarries are in the Mendips), but there's not much evidence of any great depth, nor of surrounding countryside. You might try searching through the OS maps covering Mendip (182 and 183 mainly) looking for the quarry symbols, possibly with light railway tracks showing.

Well it also says Mendips (which doesn't help much as most Somerset quarries are in the Mendips), but there's not much evidence of any great depth, nor of surrounding countryside. You might try searching through the OS maps covering Mendip (182 and 183 mainly) looking for the quarry symbols, possibly with light railway tracks showing.

What is an OS map?

ziggy©;4660913 said:
What is an OS map?
Blimey - not an expected response ! The Ordnance Survey produce a number of ranges of maps covering the whole of the UK at various scales. You can find them in WH Smiths, Waterstones, garages, motorway services, etc. One of the most popular series is the Landranger 1:50,000 series. They have a pink cover and cover an area of 40 km x 40 km. They show remarkable detail (including quarries and mineral railway lines), though there is also the 1:25,000 Explorer series, at twice the scale. Go to https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/ for more info.
You can actually see the mapping if you use Bing, search for Cheddar (for example), select "Ordnance Survey map" from the drop down and zoom in.

Blimey - not an expected response ! The Ordnance Survey produce a number of ranges of maps covering the whole of the UK at various scales. You can find them in WH Smiths, Waterstones, garages, motorway services, etc. One of the most popular series is the Landranger 1:50,000 series. They have a pink cover and cover an area of 40 km x 40 km. They show remarkable detail (including quarries and mineral railway lines), though there is also the 1:25,000 Explorer series, at twice the scale. Go to https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/ for more info.
You can actually see the mapping if you use Bing, search for Cheddar (for example), select "Ordnance Survey map" from the drop down and zoom in.

Well i know nothing about OS maps but will investigate further :)

You can view the OS Leisure maps online for free using Getamap on the OS website. You need to register, but it's a free account (unless you want some extra features).

When you figure it out, keep it to yourself. It isn't a site you're going to get permission to visit, and it's private land.

Alastair said:
I didn't know, but it didn't take much of a Google to identify it. You already have enough clues. As Ratters didn't want the location named, I shan't. But really, it isn't difficult to find out ;)

Emborough Quarry - oh no lol

I wonder what the second hit on Google for narrow gauge railway quarry somerset is? :shrug:

Back