Anyone need some camera gear ?

This ....I think what they are saying is there are easily swayed people who search out bad stuff on Facebook and once they find that stuff they are swayed by it the sort of people by the sounds of it that shouldn't be near any social media , any form of the Internet and definitely not the news !! Meanwhile the rest of us are having a very positive experience on social media .

exactly - the point is that facebook is only re-enforcing views, opinions or hate that is already inherent and said user would always seek out this content whether its on facebook or not.

That argument is a big generalisation and doesn't necceserily apply to minors, so I do agree that some form of age restriction is needed and that perhaps the policing isn't strong enough - but like i say, on balance its a good thing for most people and the hearsay around it being negative is genreally focused around the 1% rather than the 99% and those spreading the hearsay don't use the platform or have pre-conceved opinions as is pretty evident in this thread...

A lot of "AI" is just marketing, but yes, some of that computing power could be used to filter the posts, preferably as a way of reducing the scale of the issue to something that a team of suitably trained people could make final judgements on.
I'd also be highly dubious of any set of rules the government came up with to determine if a post is OK or not.

It is. I had a post blocked because of a single word. Language is pretty well policed on FB.

I had a friend trying to sell some sort of range finder, I think because it was shaped like a gun facebook marketplace kept removing it, even though it was completely harmless so it works both ways!

I don't know & don't want to know half of it all, but ...

Say you're 16, & thinking about suicide - so you hunt for methods on the web. No alarm bells ring. And you find stuff that reinforces your desire. You can imagine the rest so I'll leave it there.

A problem with the internet is how it can magnify strange desires in a way that's never been known before. And you think that doesn't need moderating?

Any laissez-faire attitude has a lot to answer for.

I had a friend trying to sell some sort of range finder, I think because it was shaped like a gun facebook marketplace kept removing it, even though it was completely harmless so it works both ways!
Yes, but overall that's trivial. Cut to the chase!

They can also be used for good - keeping people in contact that would otherwise be separated by distance and time zones.
Hey, in the past, we had those too! Telephone and letters.

A lot of "AI" is just marketing,
I’ve just sifted 50 job applications and interviewed for a couple of days.

Till then I thought the growing use of AI was being overhyped.

But after interviewing a candidate clearly using co-pilot or similar to form their answer, and another candidate using a pre-prepared bunch of answers that if not AI supported I’d be v surprised, I’m starting to think the hype may have something in it.

What I’m finding quite hilarious are those people who don’t use Facebook suggesting that it’s a dangerous place for kids.

The average age on FB in 2024 means you’re more likely to encounter a grandparent than a teenager.

The ‘kids’ left Facebook years ago. My kids (29-36) and their partners only ‘posts’ on FB are direct feeds from their insta, or promoting their various businesses.

Doubly hilarious when people claim to ‘know’ what’s really going on (same old idiots can’t help reminding folks they’re idiots)

I don't need reminding I'm an old idiot. I've been one for some years now.

Share what you had for breakfast, what you had for dinner. Post pictures of your cat, post pictures of your breakfast and dinner!
Sounds quite familiar actually ... and I don't do Facebook!

What I’m finding quite hilarious are those people who don’t use Facebook suggesting that it’s a dangerous place for kids.

The average age on FB in 2024 means you’re more likely to encounter a grandparent than a teenager.

The ‘kids’ left Facebook years ago. My kids (29-36) and their partners only ‘posts’ on FB are direct feeds from their insta, or promoting their various businesses.

Doubly hilarious when people claim to ‘know’ what’s really going on (same old idiots can’t help reminding folks they’re idiots)
That's a good point as a wedding photographer I have a business page on FB and Instagram...the brides book me through Instagram because their mum's told them about my existence on Facebook lol I can see the average ages on my analytics and it confirms this the vast majority of the time .

I don't know & don't want to know half of it all, but ...

Say you're 16, & thinking about suicide - so you hunt for methods on the web. No alarm bells ring. And you find stuff that reinforces your desire. You can imagine the rest so I'll leave it there.

A problem with the internet is how it can magnify strange desires in a way that's never been known before. And you think that doesn't need moderating?

Any laissez-faire attitude has a lot to answer for.
I thought we were talking about social media rather than the entire web as that's a totally different conversation but for interests sake I googled suicide and I used multiple different sentences to suggest I wanted to do it and all i got firstly Everytime was the Samaritans then results as far as I could see for help pages and a few statistics sites . So there seems to be some moderation there . But more importantly a 16 year old needs monitored, suicidal or not by teachers and parents. All my kids use the same Google account as me for example. But back on topic of social media I.....it's very very easy to tell the bots what you like and don't like and based on that you will get served up what you want to see .....as I said it a previous post it's designed to keep you hooked and it's not going to do that by dishing up knitting based posts when your into weight lifting for example .

I’ve just sifted 50 job applications and interviewed for a couple of days.

Till then I thought the growing use of AI was being overhyped.

But after interviewing a candidate clearly using co-pilot or similar to form their answer, and another candidate using a pre-prepared bunch of answers that if not AI supported I’d be v surprised, I’m starting to think the hype may have something in it.
What is now possible with tools labelled as AI is indeed very powerful - the problem is that it has reached the point where it may appear to be able to give authoritative answers when (to simplify enormously) it's actually just collating a bunch of things it's found online - sometimes it's great, but it's not perfect!

Let me get this right.

Are some suggesting vulnerable people are searching for "dark stuff" and Facebook are getting the blame?

Where does responsibility on the person doing the searching come into this?

Let me get this right.

Are some suggesting vulnerable people are searching for "dark stuff" and Facebook are getting the blame?

Where does responsibility on the person doing the searching come into this?
Lol yip that's pretty much what's being suggested. People search for bad stuff......get the bad stuff and then do bad stuff and it's facebooks fault

Lol yip that's pretty much what's being suggested. People search for bad stuff......get the bad stuff and then do bad stuff and it's facebooks fault
Unbelievable!

What happened to freedom of choice?

And play stupid games win stupid prizes?

If they are vulnerable surely the caring thing to do is to lock down their internet access to certain sites or take away their access entirely.

Unbelievable!

What happened to freedom of choice?

And play stupid games win stupid prizes?

If they are vulnerable surely the caring thing to do is to lock down their internet access to certain sites or take away their access entirely.
Na ...blame Facebook ....it's easier and removes responsibility for people lol
"I done it because Facebook told me to do it " the only dangers I face with Facebook is the camera deals that keep popping up !!! I'll have to try that excuse with the wife "I know I can't afford the new Sony dear but Facebook made me do it "

Going on my local news feed it appears to be dangerous for pet owners, it's inundated with have you seen my cat?
Its an indoor cat and never goes out (!)

More seriously there was an AI saftey conference at the back end of last year, quite locally, and curiously the security was more ( visibly) intense
when the "new" king visited.

<snip>Those attending included the US vice-president, Kamala Harris, the European Commission president, Ursula von der Leyen, award-winning computer scientists, executives at all the leading AI companies – and Elon Musk.
While the EU is moving closer to passing its AI act, UK officials have made clear they do not think regulation is needed, or even possible at this stage given how fast the industry is moving.

“What we need most of all from the international stage is a panel like the International Panel on Climate Change, which at least establishes a scientific consensus about what AI models are able to do. </snip>

Last edited:
“What we need most of all from the international stage is a panel like the International Panel on Climate Change, which at least establishes a scientific consensus about what AI models are able to do. </snip>

Hilarious. :LOL:

Hilarious. :LOL:
To me, that begs the question, are they looking at ways to control it, for the ( our) common good,
or are they looking for ways to use it for their own benefit?

To me, that begs the question, are they looking at ways to control it, for the ( our) common good,
or are they looking for ways to use it for their own benefit?
I think it's clear that governments like 'scientific panels' so they have someone else to blame for things which turn out to be unpopular (while failing to mention that it was the government who took the advice, ignored half of it, and added a few bits they thought of themselves because they think they know more than people who study things properly).

Some people live alone and have a need for interaction , I have seen the food posts and think they are good , Giving ideas on what's for dinner

Yes, but overall that's trivial. Cut to the chase!

Not sure what you are saying? The implication is that there are rules and there is AI protection. If a range finder is refused as a potential fire arm then good luck trying to sell a gun... The point being made is those saying its "under" or "un" regulated are mis informed and this is one example that proves this to be the case.

Last edited:
Back