Anyone out there run a VPN server on there W10/11 machine?

Mr Bump

From under the bridge
Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
probably a niche request but does anyone run a vpn server on there win10/w11 for remote access.
I am now hoteling a lot and vnc viewer is doing my nut in.

looks like the standard inbuilt stuff doesn't work on w11 looks like microsoft hobbled it

basically i want to connect a vpn from my remote location to my home PC and then just use RDP.

I am wondering if the way round the issue is just to install a cheep hardware based solution just behind my broadband router like the below

Tp-link TL-R600VPN

Last edited:
My own VPN server is openvpn on debian in a virtual machine, but I run it on a hypervisor (proxmox, but I've set up the same using VMWare ESXi in the past and that has been working since the start of the covid lockdown without issue). Imagine you could get something similar to work under Hyper-V if you're wedded to a Windows host, or another type 2 hypervisor (virtualbox maybe?)

My own VPN server is openvpn on debian in a virtual machine, but I run it on a hypervisor (proxmox, but I've set up the same using VMWare ESXi in the past and that has been working since the start of the covid lockdown without issue). Imagine you could get something similar to work under Hyper-V if you're wedded to a Windows host, or another type 2 hypervisor (virtualbox maybe?)

yeah i do have the option of going that way but it would be a lot of hassle to setup a VM host just for that purpose
i do have a spare box and could run it up but i just want it for the one solution of 1 client dial in to my local network to just then RDP to an ip address

Wireguard is probably the least painful answer - some routers have it built in - the hardest part is probably the required portforwarding (and opening the firewall on the target machine)

Wireguard is probably the least painful answer - some routers have it built in - the hardest part is probably the required portforwarding (and opening the firewall on the target machine)

after having a good look the answer might be to turn my virgin media hu3 into modem mode and stick a different router on such has a tp-link AX1800 which has openvpn server built in?

Always assumes that you have a "real" IP address too obviously.

Ensure you go for an SSL VPN solution, many public WiFi services are now blocking traditional VPN authentication methods.

Do you happen to have a Synology or equivalent NAS, found they were fantastic for it

Have you looked at Tailscale. Based on wireguard but no port forwarding set ups, just apply to each client/ server/ nas and you can connect remotely

Ensure you go for an SSL VPN solution, many public WiFi services are now blocking traditional VPN authentication methods.

Do you happen to have a Synology or equivalent NAS, found they were fantastic for it

I just have a W11 Allways on low power PC sat behind my VM router.
I mulled over placing the VM router into modem mode and attaching a TP-link router that had built in openvpn
but in the end I through together a Windows 2019 180 day eval server on a super low power NUC and simply configured windows VPN on that
forwarded port 1723 from the VM router to that IP address and voila all done and at zero expense
works really well , connected to it from last nights hotel and runs seemless.

Last edited:
Back