Anyone Photographed Darts before?!?

Name
Rogan
Edit My Images
Yes
Been asked to cover the finals days of the PDC World Darts Championship first weekend of January and then the same for the BDO World Darts Championship (at The Lakeside) the following weekend.

I've never photographed darts before of been in a darts hall so any clues as to what I should expect will be appreciated. I'm guessing it'll be horribly boring with little shot variety!

I'm guessing it'll be no flash so really dark, but I have no idea what I will need in terms of lenses because I've no clue where photographers will be sat relative to the oche. Looking at photos from previous comps it seems were usually somewhere to the left of the board, and most photos seem to be various amounts of the player in frame with the dart just leaving their hand.

If anyone has a clue id appreciate advice!!

I ahve darts listed as a sport I ahve covered.. but nothing on that scale...so cant help other than to totally disagree with the following..

I'm guessing it'll be horribly boring with little shot variety!

Keep your eye on players going back after the throw.. expresions and interactions with crowd... crowd shots will be brilliant if a top event..... sometimes the greatest shots are when final darts thrown..

I would love to cover summat like that and think there would be all manner of wonderful shots to take :)

I did come across a little negative! I am going to go into it hoping to get great shots because it's something wonderfully different to have in my portfolio.

I've seen both tournaments on TV and your right, its a lot of crowd interaction..... they are very lively crowds... venues are also very colorfully lit which should help creatively.

:)

Its like anyhting else.. you just have to keep you eyes and ears open for anything that happens. snap it all and figure out whats best later:) I dont know what your doing exactly.. earlier rounds might be a bit sleepy i suppose...

:)

Its like anyhting else.. you just have to keep you eyes and ears open for anything that happens. snap it all and figure out whats best later:) I dont know what your doing exactly.. earlier rounds might be a bit sleepy i suppose...

My thoughts exactly re early rounds so im leaving those to others and im rocking up for the last two days so just semi final matches and the final!

Tony, do you want me to see if I can come up with anything for you at the darts thing they do at the local place near me?

My thoughts exactly re early rounds so im leaving those to others and im rocking up for the last two days so just semi final matches and the final!

If you're unsure of yourself it's often a very good idea to go to the early rounds and get any jitters out of the way before the pressure of the final etc. when people NEED the shots and you cant use the "I've never shot this before" excuse.

if its owt like the tennis you also wont get a spot by "rocking up at last min"

I done Tennis in summer and 2 photographers sat in hospitality tent all day until McEnroe came on court, I laughed my socks off when they were walking up and down huffing and puffing as they had to go in the stands to shoot, No room courtside.

Tony, do you want me to see if I can come up with anything for you at the darts thing they do at the local place near me?

yeagh mate!!! :) dont you give that a go?

I done Tennis in summer and 2 photographers sat in hospitality tent all day until McEnroe came on court, I laughed my socks off when they were walking up and down huffing and puffing as they had to go in the stands to shoot, No room courtside.

yeagh and how boring is tennis to shoot. You going again this summer ste?.. I prob wont bother this yr hmm or maybe one day.. keep my eye in :)

Should be lots of opportunites to get some great tattoo shots.

You might struggle with the light, i was going to do one of our BDO county matches but the venue was dark with only the board lit, with a D3 you might be ok at about f4 max ? the players arm moving could blur, but i suppose it wont matter if the dart in flight is streaming blurred. It's something i'd be afraid of trying with a D300 without getting grainy iso.

If you're unsure of yourself it's often a very good idea to go to the early rounds and get any jitters out of the way before the pressure of the final etc. when people NEED the shots and you cant use the "I've never shot this before" excuse.

Unfortunately that's not a possibility... I've been asked to cover those two days and others are shooting the earlier rounds. I'll obviously get feedback from them before I actually go, but I guess sometimes its good to be challenged. I'll of course properly research the subject first and the type of shots that are wanted/needed/get used. I agree that in an ideal world i'd shoot early stuff first to get my eye in, but surely sometimes in this business you get thrown at something new and have to make it work. (and I wouldn't say i'm unsure of myself in a terrified of shooting it kind of way.... I'm just asking the fundamental questions here as well as other places so I go into it as prepared as I can be)

When i say "rocking up at last min" what I mean is its a 14 day tournament and I'm going for the final two days..... I'm no so blasé as to be turning up 5 mins before it start and I'm definitely not afraid of turning up to things early to get a position. They are both late afternoon starts so I'll be there in the morning for an initial scoping out of the venue.

Can I just add....

its a 14 day tournament and I'm going for the final two days.

Jammy git! :)

Loverly bit of work for you getting the cream of the pics... Enjoy it.. you know yourself theres little can go wrong.. just get a shot of everythign that happens :)

Keep your eye on players going back after the throw.. expresions and interactions with crowd... crowd shots will be brilliant if a top event..... sometimes the greatest shots are when final darts thrown..

I would love to cover summat like that and think there would be all manner of wonderful shots to take :)

its a 14 day tournament and I'm going for the final two days.....

If Ted (The Count) Hankey is still in the tournament at that stage keep an eye on him, he's get loads of stick from the crowd and always gives plenty back so should get a few great shots, good luck!

How's about rigging up a remote with a fisheye somewhere to get the crowd and the players and the darts hitting the board. That would be a bit different.

Could rig up a remote beneath the board...get a wide enough fisheye it'd look kinda cool.

Wait, I'm having that idea!

How's about rigging up a remote with a fisheye somewhere to get the crowd and the players and the darts hitting the board. That would be a bit different.

Could rig up a remote beneath the board...get a wide enough fisheye it'd look kinda cool.

Wait, I'm having that idea!

The tournament has actually started now as its super long but i've got a call scheduled with the press officer on Monday to see whats what and where cameras (manned and otherwise) are allowed.

Back