Anyone PP on Mac (Laptop or Cinema/Thunderbolt display) find images dark on everything else?

Edit My Images
Yes
I seem to find that when I PP pictures on my MBP (either on the Laptop screen or my Thunderbolt monitor), many PC/Phone/Tablet users complain that it is a little too dark.

After checking myself, this does seem quite evident.

Yes, I do have my screen brightness relatively high, but I do not seem to match what I see on my phone/PC by simply reducing the brightness on the screen, and to get it remotely close I have to turn the brightness way down lower than it is on my PC monitor.

I have calibrated both screens with a Huey Pro and looking at some LCD test images whilst at my usual brightness reveals no black, white or colour clipping.

I did not have this issue when I was doing PP on a PC with an uncalibrated Dell 2412.

Hi Mike

I don't see this issue. I use my MBP with a Hazro 27" (same panel as the Thunderbolt/Cinemas?) and all are OK.
I calibrate using a ColorMunki display.

With phones/tablets I find that they are often on auto brightness and I know mine in a darkened room sometimes reduces its brightness to a point that viewing photos is pointless and i have to manually shoft the brightness levels back up.

Post an image up here that looks perfect on your Mac.

Can't say I've noticed a problem myself.

MBP 15/Eizo display, both calibrated with a Spyder 3, iPhone and iPad user

Last edited:
I have an iMac running 2 extra screens via Thunderbolt. It's fine.

Show us a picture.

There's a screen pseudo-calibration app that may run separately from your calibration software - could that be causing the problem?

I can edit acceptably using a Dell 2412 but not on my Macbook screen because the brightness varies so much with viewing angle. I have also had this problem using a PC driving a Samsung non-IPS monitor.

Back