Anyone reccommend a card reader?

RobertP

TPer Emeritus
Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a cheapie card reader from ebuyer. Usually works fine but lately has not been recognised a few times and needed removing + reconnecting.

I know it is not as fast as some usb2 connected ones out there so if I am going to change it - what is a fast one?

One I have now sits in a floppy disc drive size hole in the front of the case - so its internal but still plugs into a port on the back.

Would prefer something internal again - too many wires around as it is!

Oh yes - CF and Xd capable would be ideal.

xD card readers are like rocking-horse poop to find. I found a bunch of card readers for all types of card in Tesco for £7 each. Picked up the xD one, £23!!

Bought it though.

Have a scout about on http://www.cclonline.com/ or http://www.dcs-online.biz/

You can get multi-card readers from either that fit into a 5.25" bay, but again, you'll struggle to get one that has direct xD support.

The not being recognised thing is more likely to be windows than the reader Robert.

Jessops do a Belkin USB2 one for £17.99 or you can get one on eBay for about £8

It works if I just pull the plug and replace it in the USB socket.

Thing is someone on 'a previous forum' had a sandisk CF reader and we timed how long to empty a identical 2 gig card. His took 5 mins - my cheapy took 12.

Speed isn't that important but if I get a new one it would be nice to have a fast one.

xD I could get round if I have to by using the cable to the Oly. Don't use the Oly much now.

RobertP said:
It works if I just pull the plug and replace it in the USB socket.

Thing is someone on 'a previous forum' had a sandisk CF reader and we timed how long to empty a identical 2 gig card. His took 5 mins - my cheapy took 12.

Speed isn't that important but if I get a new one it would be nice to have a fast one.

xD I could get round if I have to by using the cable to the Oly. Don't use the Oly much now.

That could well be because he was using USB 2 and you are using USB 1??

USB 1 is capable of about 11mbps data transfer and USB2 is capable of about 400mpbs.

Warspite said:
I use these myself in my computers, connects to an internal USB header on your motherboard, problem is I dont think they support xD.

Mitsumi 7in1 Internal Card Reader + 3.5" Drive

I have one of those in my main PC and it works fine. (I bought mine from CCL though... because I work there :p

my laptop has a built in SD/MMC reader but not CF, so I had to buy a USB2 card reader for it.

Rich said:
USB 1 is capable of about 11mbps data transfer and USB2 is capable of about 400mpbs.

Which is a ratio of 1:40 not 1:2 :)

It is usb 2.

2 Gig in 12 mins is not bad - just could be quicker.

I just bought a Sandisk ImageMate USB 2.0 from Warehouse Express. £17 I think.
Brilliant!
Loads 1 Gig in about 4 mins, compared to the PMCIA card reader I used to use which took about 14 minutes!

That's the sort of thing I was asking. All card readers are not created equal.

Think it was a review of the 5D I was reading where card speeds were covered - PCMCIA readers were rated as the fastest. I have one of those too and it is slower than USB2 as well.

Back