Anyone shooting weddings w/primes only?

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I'm a freelance wedding videographer with a keen interest in photography too. I want to take the leap from working freelance, to getting my own clients - just with video I don't have the time to edit the footage (as much as I love to) which is why I want to get more into photography. Almost all of the weddings I've filmed have had photographers use the odd prime here and there, but almost all of the times they will mainly be using a 24-70 + 700-200.

Personally for me, using primes for the majority of video work isn't very feasible due to the fact that I'm using a tripod/monopod/slider and it's much harder to move around to get the right composition compared to a photographer simply just taking a few steps...

Would a 35/85/135 prime lens combo be flexible enough to use just these 3 lenses the whole day?

Thanks! :)

I took all my weddings on a 35mm and 85mm :) I have a 24-70 in my bag just in case though!

there are tons of togs who only use primes yeah. It's pretty standard, I reckon for every tog using a 24-70 and 70-200 theres another who does it 35 and 85

Thanks guys, very tempted to buy a sigma 35mm 1.4 and a Canon 1.8 now until I can afford the 1.2...

People don't struggle with the reach on the 85 for ceremonies?

Mainly primes, occasionally use 24-105 for large group shots. Probably shoot about 80% with 35mm and the rest with 135mm or the zoom.

135 is a bit long sometimes tho so I'm considering trading it for 85 at some point.

I shoot weddings with the 35 and 85 and pull out the 16-35 for the first dance with strobes as it has a beautiful starburst. Have a 135 and my old workhorse the 24-70 as just in cases. Think I also have a nifty fifty as a just in case, just in case.

Rather than worry about what others are using, why not take a moment to think about how you want to shoot a wedding , how you'd like it to look? Then match the lens to that?

I do most of mine with the Siggy 35 f1.4, I also use the 70-200 f2.8 for the portrait shots and for some of the speeches.

How do u cope in church

I know a lot of ppl use primes but I prefer zooms. The 24-70 & 70-200 are my top lenses. Especially the latter. I've found if you expose correctly there's not much difference between a prime shot and a zoom. I do keep a 28/50/85 in my bag in case I need low light performance. To be fair I rarely get them out. I did most of an e-shoot yesterday with a 24-120 f4

I know a lot of ppl use primes but I prefer zooms. The 24-70 & 70-200 are my top lenses. Especially the latter. I've found if you expose correctly there's not much difference between a prime shot and a zoom. I do keep a 28/50/85 in my bag in case I need low light performance. To be fair I rarely get them out. I did most of an e-shoot yesterday with a 24-120 f4

24-70 at f/2.8 is always a touch soft, a 35mm f/1.4 at say f/2 is not only sharper but gives a much nicer shallow dof

Some if it may come down to personal preference as to artistic vision but I'd not fancy shooting a couples shoot at f/4, however if that's the look you go for I'd say the zooms are just as good as primes as it's only once you start shooting at wide apertures it makes a big difference IMO

I've tried two Sigma 35mm's and both front focussed badly. Asking around it seems a common problem. Especially if you see how many have been returned to Amazon and available via their warehouse deals. Seems if you get a good one then it's great but i'm not keen to try another.

End of the day it's horses for courses.

I don't do a lot of wedding stuff but when I do I use my 18-35 1.8 50mm 1.8 & 85mm 1.8, I have a 24-105 for that extra reach if required (on crop body)

I've tried two Sigma 35mm's and both front focussed badly. Asking around it seems a common problem. Especially if you see how many have been returned to Amazon and available via their warehouse deals. Seems if you get a good one then it's great but i'm not keen to try another.

End of the day it's horses for courses.

Ahh I have the canon so can't really comment on the Sigma, sounds like that's a common issue with those though.

Yeah it's only really going to benefit someone if they shoot really wide apertures for the vast majority of the day, otherwise might as well shoot the zooms which are more versatile :)

I shoot at f2.2 a lot of the time but wouldn't sell my 24-70 as it's so versatile as Andy said. Really great lens to start with!

anyone have experience with the 35mm L vs the 35mm sigma ART?

one of my local wedding photographers shoots nearly everything on a 50mm f/1.4
it suits his style very well and it's almost all that he seems to need

anyone have experience with the 35mm L vs the 35mm sigma ART?

one of my local wedding photographers shoots nearly everything on a 50mm f/1.4
it suits his style very well and it's almost all that he seems to need

Only experience with the sigma and I love it! Just waiting for the 85mm now as I'll snap that up as soon as it comes out. Will get the 50mm for the other half also at the same time :). Been really happy with the results from the 35mm.

Starting this thread I was adamant I wanted a Sigma 35 1.4, Canon 85 1.2 and Canon 135 f2. I think its more sensible until I get more into it, just to get the 35mm 1.4 and a Canon 1.8 instead of the 1.2. Sounds like I can make do without the 135 initially!

Starting this thread I was adamant I wanted a Sigma 35 1.4, Canon 85 1.2 and Canon 135 f2. I think its more sensible until I get more into it, just to get the 35mm 1.4 and a Canon 1.8 instead of the 1.2. Sounds like I can make do without the 135 initially!

I have the canon 85mm f/1.8 and it's a great lens for the price, sharp and very quick to focus

I have the canon 85mm f/1.8 and it's a great lens for the price, sharp and very quick to focus
Great, definitely more than capable for a wedding then. Also just bought a Sigma 35mm 1.4 so should have decent 2 combo prime setup now. Now I just need to invest in a second 5D3...

Great, definitely more than capable for a wedding then. Also just bought a Sigma 35mm 1.4 so should have decent 2 combo prime setup now. Now I just need to invest in a second 5D3...

Oh yeah totally, tbh I went for it over the f/1.2 because of the reviews which were amazing for such a cheap lens... the f/1.2 is slow to focus which with some of the venues I have to shoot in wasn't appealing at all.

Haha yeah I took the plunge with the 2nd MKIII recently and it's just awesome to have the same body for dual shooting, before that I was using a 6D as the 2nd body but it's focussing isn't half as good!

Oh yeah totally, tbh I went for it over the f/1.2 because of the reviews which were amazing for such a cheap lens... the f/1.2 is slow to focus which with some of the venues I have to shoot in wasn't appealing at all.

Haha yeah I took the plunge with the 2nd MKIII recently and it's just awesome to have the same body for dual shooting, before that I was using a 6D as the 2nd body but it's focussing isn't half as good!

Definitely! Just looked through your website and its great to know the majority of your shots are shot with a 35+85. Really like them.

Canon 85mm 1.8 will do for now, then when Sigma bring out their Art version it may be time to upgrade if its anything like their 35mm!

another 35/85er here. 35 1.4 canon and 85 1.2 ii. I do have the 16-35 f4 and 24-70 ii though as well...no way i'd want to do a wedding with 35 as my widest.

I sold my 85 1.8 a month or so ago but actually i think i probably should have kept a hold of it as back up / times when i needed faster focus. Might keep my eyes open for a cheap one, or see what the sigma offering is like..

New convert here.

Sigma 35mm 1.4 replaced my 28-70 last year and I've just replaced my 70-200 with a 135 1.8.

Also got a 50 1.4 in the bag and a 28 for the groups.

Though I think I need an 85 1.4 to fill that gap.

35 and 85 shooter here, though if im shooting in good light and open spaces I switch to the 70-200 quite often. And if in very tight spaces shooting documentary style I may just go with a 24-70. I like to always keep my options open lol

I've started shooting more with an 85 (1.8G Nikon) and like it a lot. I don't seem to love the focal length of a 50mm, thinking of getting a 35mm... (Sigma art). You do need to get up a lot closer though don't you?

I do still love the 70-200 for ceremony, speeches and some of the portraits (love the compression at the long end).

24-70 for groups and large group shot and maybe first dance but would like to try a 35 & 85 combination. I like the idea of lighter lenses too.

35 and 85 IMHO, I've a 135 as well and the reach just isn't different enough for me especially with all the megapickles we have these days :) keep it light and manageable imho

I shoot weddings with just primes only and have done for the past 6 months. It appeared to be a gamble but I personally would never look back. I have the following:

14mm f2.8.
35 1.4 art
50 1.4
85 1.8
135 f2L.

I mainly shoot with the 35/85 combo but I love using the 135 and try get that out where I can

Back