Anyone shot badminton?

Name
Alex
Edit My Images
Yes
I was wondering if anyone had taken pictures of competitive badminton? Ideally looking for some example shots where i can see the exif info to get an idea of camera settings.

Despite playing for almost 10 years i've never actually attempted to photograph badminton, However my coach is wanting some new pics for his website... so stupidly i suggested that i do it... not taking a moment to consider the fact that i am normally sat in a bush watching an animal when i use my camera!

Hi,Ive shot quite a lot over the years.Its never the easiest,and depennding on the Hall your shooting in,can be nearly impossible.Backgrounds are always a problem,and Ive found that if you can get up high and shoot down,you will get cleaner images.
Obviously you will need to be shooting at fairly high iso to get a reasonable shutter speed,as getting the shuttle in shot is a lot harder than it looke,but easier if its coming straight at you.Hope that helps a little,and good luck

12277927196_6148c534d5_m.jpg

12276914575_be7d405f55_m.jpg

I might have to suggest we use a different hall as getting up high with be impossible at our usual hall. Its amazing that they use such rubbish halls given the impact it has on you as a player also... nothing worse than a cluttered background where you lose the shuttle.

What iso/shutter speed would you recommend shooting at? I couldn't get exif info from the thumbnails.

Thanks

Alex

Last edited:
This is going to be tough, i'd imagine the shuttle is going to be moving significantly quicker in the session I'm photographing too! I might have to get them to do it at Westgate badminton centre as its all blue with a elevated viewing area.

Thanks for the feedback, looks like you were able to freeze the shuttle pretty well in some shots despite the poor light!

Great image quality for a crazy high ISO, what did you use for noise reduction?

Nothing.. its a canon 1dx :)

I might use dust/scratches in photobox if really bad.. but I go for the slightly over expose method and no need for noise reduction..

Joining this a bit late... but if the imagery is purely for a website eg promo , personally I'd treat this like an advertising shoot rather than just 'sports'. I don't know what your experience with lighting is but I'd bring in a couple of flash heads with big soft boxes on and set up some scenarios rather than just shooting away during real play. That would solve any problems with freezing the action and you could create the ideal light scenario. AFAIK you can sync normal flash up to around 250th of a second, that may not totally freeze everything at normal play speed but as it's a set up shot you can get the players to slow things down. Also the small amount of movement could look pretty nice. Otherwise a couple of flash guns on high speed sync would help. I'd be setting up tethered with a tripod and try to think about the cropping required for the website too. For example I'd try to set up a decent smash scenario, get some one to keep putting the shuttlecock into the right area and do a few takes at getting the shot.

Not pure sports as some would no doubt complain at but shots for a website that look good don't have to be! :)

Last edited:
Joining this a bit late... but if the imagery is purely for a website eg promo , personally I'd treat this like an advertising shoot rather than just 'sports'. I don't know what your experience with lighting is but I'd bring in a couple of flash heads with big soft boxes on and set up some scenarios rather than just shooting away during real play. That would solve any problems with freezing the action and you could create the ideal light scenario. AFAIK you can sync normal flash up to around 250th of a second, that may not totally freeze everything at normal play speed but as it's a set up shot you can get the players to slow things down. Also the small amount of movement could look pretty nice. Otherwise a couple of flash guns on high speed sync would help. I'd be setting up tethered with a tripod and try to think about the cropping required for the website too. For example I'd try to set up a decent smash scenario, get some one to keep putting the shuttlecock into the right area and do a few takes at getting the shot.

Not pure sports as some would no doubt complain at but shots for a website that look good don't have to be! :)

^^This.

No need to go through the pain of trying to get top quality images in a match environment if not required.

You could be up a step ladder, or on a platform, to get a cleaner background, with lights and feeding shuttles for specific shots and have this wrapped a lot faster, and with higher quality images.

Back