Anyone taken any IR shots with a Nikon D60?

Edit My Images
Yes
I was thinking about getting a Hoya IR filter for my D60 and trying a few IR shots, is the D60 suitable for IR work or would I be wasting my money? :thinking:

Not wasting your money if you are prepared for 20s plus exposures! Nikon use a pretty strong IR filter in their later cameras ( they block out almost all IR light), meaning you have to use very long exposures to get good results.
I tried it with my D200, not very good in windy weather!

Allan

I tried on my D300 as well, we're talking 2 minute exposures here though I was using a stronger IR filter (950nm)

Thanks, I don't mind using long exposures, I have a tripod. :)

I think I'll go for one of the R72 filters, the 950nm ones are a little expensive for my liking!

Thanks, I don't mind using long exposures, I have a tripod. :)

I think I'll go for one of the R72 filters, the 950nm ones are a little expensive for my liking!

I think you may be wasting your cash. Spend it on a 10 stop ND instead; much more fun (if you don't have one). I have a D40 and the in camera IR filter was so strong using the Hoya R72 was pointless (i have subsequently sold it). Even with flipping channels as per 'Brads IR action' or manually playing with the end product resulted in shots that were nowhere near as good as I had seen/expected. I tried long exposures too, again ... think you would be better off buying an old Nikon D50 as they are superb for IR work. I would do a search for 'Hoya R72' or 'IR' on Flickr by camera model; that will give you an idea of what is achievable.

:)

I think you may be wasting your cash. Spend it on a 10 stop ND instead; much more fun (if you don't have one). I have a D40 and the in camera IR filter was so strong using the Hoya R72 was pointless (i have subsequently sold it). Even with flipping channels as per 'Brads IR action' or manually playing with the end product resulted in shots that were nowhere near as good as I had seen/expected. I tried long exposures too, again ... think you would be better off buying an old Nikon D50 as they are superb for IR work. I would do a search for 'Hoya R72' or 'IR' on Flickr by camera model; that will give you an idea of what is achievable.

:)
Believe it or not I ordered a 10 stop filter yesterday, cost me all of £2! Info in this thread: http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=151141 :D

I have already ordered the R72 now, so I'll have to have to experiment with it. It does seem the D70 or the D50's are best for IR work, but I can't really afford another body right now and I'm not sure how much IR work I'll be doing tbh, I just wanted to give it a go. :)

Having seen the instructions on the 'Net for converting a D50 (you need a replacement filter to protect the sensor), the D70 will be easier to do, only because the two welds on the D50 are screws on the D70 (I took mine apart when neither my insurers or replacement providers wanted my old knackered one (after I dropped it)).

Having seen the instructions on the 'Net for converting a D50 (you need a replacement filter to protect the sensor), the D70 will be easier to do, only because the two welds on the D50 are screws on the D70 (I took mine apart when neither my insurers or replacement providers wanted my old knackered one (after I dropped it)).

It's fairly straightforward to convert a D70 to IR, however you're looking at well over £100 for the proper filter. It does mean, however, that you can do handheld IR - which is great fun :)

Back