Anyone tempted by the new DJI Osmo Pocket???

I’ve been researching this for the past week. It looks amazing as a small video recorder for trips and vacations.

I’m off to Walt DisneyWorld in three weeks, the only problem is can I get hold of one soon enough.

Last edited:
Yes mine is one the way, should be with me next week, in time for Christmas :)

Yes mine is one the way, should be with me next week, in time for Christmas :)
Drop a little review please, been looking at one of these as well.
Got a DJI drone, thinking this would ideal for small, quick vids

I've let the marketing wash over me and now I want it..

Last edited:
Drop a little review please, been looking at one of these as well.
Got a DJI drone, thinking this would ideal for small, quick vids

Will do and post some sample footage, I also have a DJI Mavic 2 Pro and thought this would be handy for times I don't want to carry my camera around.

I'd love one. I like the idea of doing a bit of vlogging and taking some video when on holidays. But typically I only use my GoPro when diving due to stability (a lot easier under water) - something like this looks great. And its not exactly crazy money either in my opinion.

Not an urgent purchase, but I'll have one at some point.

I've been tempted by this also for family vlogs and handing to anyone to capture moments without too much faff. Look forward to any reviews being posted. Tempted to order it and return if not decent or as the marketing material makes out.

Maybe a stupid question but I didn’t see it in the blurb. Does it have audio?
Yep. I heard it on one video, its a bit tinny. But it's not suprising given its focus on it being a pocket sized gimbal with a 4k 60fps camera built in. If you were to take it serious enough for mic quality to be a concern then I think the recommendation is to get some external mics.

It looks like a good alternative to action cameras.

Yep. I heard it on one video, its a bit tinny. But it's not suprising given its focus on it being a pocket sized gimbal with a 4k 60fps camera built in. If you were to take it serious enough for mic quality to be a concern then I think the recommendation is to get some external mics.

Dont get me wrong, I want expecting HQ audio :) but was curious to see if any was fitted. Thanks for the reply *thumbsup

I think I may have found my Christmas present.

Dont get me wrong, I want expecting HQ audio :) but was curious to see if any was fitted. Thanks for the reply *thumbsup

I think I may have found my Christmas present.
You can also buy an accessory cable that allows you to plug in an external mic into the bottom of the camera.
The only thing lacking is a mini hdmi output, that would allow you to instantly view back your footage on a tv/monitor,
It looks like you have to remove the memory card and put it into a pc to see your images on anything bigger than a phone.

Latest updates seem to improve audio

Tempted myself but musing over battery life (max 140 mins) and ease of charging (looks like 2 hours charge for 140 mins use).

Tempted myself but musing over battery life (max 140 mins) and ease of charging (looks like 2 hours charge for 140 mins use).

Compare that to a old style video camera , 1/2 a days charging for 60 minutes if you were lucky , 140 minutes is longer than most feature films

Compare that to a old style video camera , 1/2 a days charging for 60 minutes if you were lucky , 140 minutes is longer than most feature films
Things move on, it isn't great for today ... though the rest of the unit looks good.

I looked at this gimbal in my local LCE on Friday. It's tiny, even in the carry case, the size of a small 3x AAA battery LED torch. It follows that the screen on the device is also tiny which is a problem for my post cataract operation eyes to focus on. It does mount very successfully onto either an Iphone or a USB C Android phone giving a phone sized display, both adapters are in the box, but my phone has a micro USB conector which is not included and would be a weaker connection anyway. If I understood correctly, some setting changes can only be made with the phone and not in stand alone mode without wireless. There is a range of extras including a waterproof case, wireless module and an extra contol set, but these add up to some serious money, which was starting to make the £499 Ronin S look particularly good value, obvious not a competing travel gimbal though!

Overall, I thought it was an interesting product but not for me without buying a compatible new phone as well. I'd need something a bit bigger and would prefer full control and wireless abilities built in. Since I'd need to use the phone anyway, it would make more sense to me to buy a phone gimbal at circa £100 and live with the loss of 4K capability on my current phone.

Mine arrived today:

Osmo.jpg

Very small box!! I've not tried it yet, may keep it for Christmas as I'm busy this week.... not sure :)

Things move on, it isn't great for today ... though the rest of the unit looks good.

Is there a reason you can't use one of the pocket battery packs designed for mobile phones , looking at how small it is I'm utterly amazed they've got 140 minutes out of it

Just having a play with mine tonight and some more general questions around video settings.

Why wouldn't I use 4k 60fps all the time - what are the reasons to use 4k 30 fps or even 1080 30/60 (aside from memory)? Also, MOV or MP4 (I would edit on mac with iMovie if that's relevant) - I can download the mp4 to phone and can't with mov but any other differences?

MP4 is more standard, mov is more a windows thing. Both can be used and programs exist to work with both, not used mov, so there may be a quality difference ??

4K 60 will look slightly stuttery as out screens run at 24, you could render at 24 but it would look slightly slow motion, but if you shoot at 24 you can’t slownit in post as it will have slight breaks between frames.

1080 is fine but if you use 4K you can zoom in or crop in with little to no effect.

Your end game if you post it anywhere, well most places should be 1080p, 24fps
That’s what our tv/cinemas run at mostly.

This is all very general and as with all things subject to what your trying to achieve.

.mov is more for mac not windows.
You can edit either in windows, there is practically no difference in file sizes or quality.
.mov isn't understood by all video players though.

I've looked at this and for the price it looks very good.
There are niggles though, especially only having a somewhat dumbed down interface unless you have a phone attached - which negates the amazing compactness.
I wonder if it doesn't make more sense to buy a phone gimbal given modern phones also record excellent video.
The tracking features are impressive but suspect won't get used much once out of playing about mode.

.mov is more for mac not windows.
You can edit either in windows, there is practically no difference in file sizes or quality.
.mov isn't understood by all video players though.

I've looked at this and for the price it looks very good.
There are niggles though, especially only having a somewhat dumbed down interface unless you have a phone attached - which negates the amazing compactness.
I wonder if it doesn't make more sense to buy a phone gimbal given modern phones also record excellent video.
The tracking features are impressive but suspect won't get used much once out of playing about mode.

Sorry, @4wd is correct on the .MOV, i was wrong.

As for the camera attachment thing, you can get a Bluetooth/wireless dongle that attaches to the base so you can change/have the phone in hand or pocket ect, not sure of the exact things but worth looking into yourself.

That was my rationale for buying a DJI Osmo 2 gimbal in the end.

So how do you connect a mic? Sorry I just can’t find the cable on the dji store and what kind of mic too? I’d like something to record video and if I buy a karma, I can’t plug a mic into the gropro

So how do you connect a mic? Sorry I just can’t find the cable on the dji store and what kind of mic too? I’d like something to record video and if I buy a karma, I can’t plug a mic into the gropro

USB-C adapter (optional extra and not sure it's available yet).

I have been watching street walk about videos on youtube, and I was wondering how some were so steady. They used this device it seems. I certainly would love one.

It says, " It snaps photos in stunning detail, thanks to a 1/2.3-inch sensor". Do you really get good photos, from such a tiny sensor?

Had my osmo pocket for about 2 weeks & not really used it a great deal...too many issues withit at the moment...hopefully future updates will cure the focus pumping in video & the need to connect to a phone to access pro mode.
time will tell.
incidentally the pocket shoots 20mb DNG but only in pro mode.they are usable but don't expect miracles.

Last edited:
Had my osmo pocket for about 2 weeks & not really used it a great deal...too many issues withit at the moment...hopefully future updates will cure the focus pumping in video & the need to connect to a phone to access pro mode.
time will tell.
incidentally the pocket shoots 20mb DNG but only in pro mode.they are usable but don't expect miracles.

Pretty much my feeling about it. I got mine a week before Christmas with the expectation of using it over Christmas. I never did. I don't like the AF system, it pulses too much, and i feel the stabilisation isnt as good as my Hero 7 when walking. I think the head is just too light for the gimbal to do a good job, although its great for stationary hand held shooting.

Ill live with the OP and H7, but im surprised i still use my H7 a lot more, even just for daily filming. With the H7 there are no focus issues, so i have more confidence in it. Saying that, i love how small the OP is and i do hope its improved soon. I know there is FW being worked on that will allow more frame rates to be set on the camera itself, but i also want the ability to switch between AFC and AFS as well. If i have to connect to my iphone i might as well just use the iphone, the quality is as good, if not better than the OP anyway.

Back