Anyone tried LED lamp bulbs for home/office use?

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
Couple of weeks ago I bought a quantity of 5 watt warm clear LED bulbs from a large supplier based in Winchester to replace all of the remaining bulbs in our house lights.
One failed suddenly after about 3 days and a 2nd has failed today.
Anyone tried LED bulbs?
Any problems experienced?

Couple of weeks ago I bought a quantity of 5 watt warm clear LED bulbs from a large supplier based in Winchester to replace all of the remaining bulbs in our house lights.
One failed suddenly after about 3 days and a 2nd has failed today.
Anyone tried LED bulbs?
Any problems experienced?

Bought some (pack of three - just under a tenner) of B&Q, own brand ones a few months ago. Not had nay problems so far. In fact bought a second pack at the weekend.

I also tried some from one of the pound shops but they were crap. Hardly gave out any light at all.

That's a bugger that you've had them fail gramps. We tried them in our study (dh spends a lot of evening time in there), but although we had no failures, we didn't like the kind of light they emitted. I have friends though who swear by them!

Just another case of preference I think. If you liked the light, I'd suggest maybe another supplier, and then if they fail too, possibly take a look at the light fittings themselves :shrug: Sorry gramps, not much help I know. I sometimes wish I'd become a plumber, or electrician....something vaguely useful and lucrative!!

A few years back, Dad bought one to try. He hated the light it gave (back then, they were the colour they were - no choice as to warm, cold etc) so let me have it. Have to say I don't like it much either and it languishes in a drawer. Hasn't "blown" though - maybe you have a dodgy batch.

Beginning to think it must be a bad batch, they replaced the first without question and no doubt they will do the same with this but I've let them know I'm not happy.
The light is fine so I have no complaints in that regard but at £11+ each I don't expect them to fail at this rate!

Beginning to think it must be a bad batch, they replaced the first without question and no doubt they will do the same with this but I've let them know I'm not happy.
The light is fine so I have no complaints in that regard but at £11+ each I don't expect them to fail at this rate!

Exactly....that's the devil of it.

We have eight in our kitchen. I fitted them about a month ago, and we had a choice of four different shades/moods, so I went for daylight. They were £8 each and they reckon that they should last many years more than the equivalent halogen GU9.
They light everything nicely, so I hope that they last.

All my house lamps are LED - Phillips, I think. Lovely bright white lights. A mix of 5 and 7 watts. Provide full brightness instantly.

I have had the GU10 Led spots in the kitchen Gramps for a while now with no probs. A friend of mine bought the ones which are shaped like an empty toilet roll tube and covered in LED`s, bayonet fit. I guess those are the ones you are talking about :shrug: He has had those for well over a year and no problem.

No Rich, they are the standard bulb shape ...

b22-7w_1_1.jpg

No Rich, they are the standard bulb shape ...

Cheers Gramps, like you say almost seems like a dodgy batch. I suppose all you can really do is wait and see what happens with the others. Just out of interest where were the two that blew sighted in the house?

Last edited:
I bought some and they last about a year, then I bought 4 more just before christmas, they had all blown within 2 weeks, a couple only lasted a matter of hours, the supplier replaced them and the replacements lasted just as short a time, all were from ebay but since leaving negative feedback about the last ones I have been harrased by the seller continuosly to remove it (which I have no intention of).
I will try some more but next time I will buy them from toolstation, who are starting to sell known brands, that way I can just take them back if they fail early

I've been changing all the bulbs in my house for LED over the last couple of years, not had one fail yet finger crossed.

We have been working with a company making flat, flexible lighting panels for retail and architectural use.

Some of the products are on their website: http://designledproducts.com/

I quite like the idea of a whole wall or ceiling of light.

I think LEDs are definitely the future of domestic lighting. Compact fluorescent lights are just an interim technology until LED becomes more affordable.

Steve.

Just out of interest where were the two that blew sighted in the house?

In the lounge on a 5-arm centre unit ... they are the only ones that face up rather than down (I know that does have an effect on the life of conventional bulbs) but that shouldn't matter with LED's.

they are the only ones that face up rather than down (I know that does have an effect on the life of conventional bulbs) but that shouldn't matter with LED's.

Shouldn't make much difference with conventional bulbs as they hang down on pendant fittings but point up in table lamps.

Steve.

Bought some (pack of three - just under a tenner) of B&Q, own brand ones a few months ago. Not had nay problems so far. In fact bought a second pack at the weekend.

I also tried some from one of the pound shops but they were crap. Hardly gave out any light at all.

Your lights went out a long time back :D

Just moved into a new property and the wife insisted on keeping both ceiling lights and all 3 wall lights......... new fittings were needed which require 12 E14 candle bulbs. On top of that she also chose 2 more light fittings for the hal/stairs which require 6 E14 Golf ball bulbs............

Decided to invest in energy efficient bulbs and if memory serves me correct I think we spent about 70 quid on light bulbs the other night in B&Q :eek: :bonk:

However, when you add up the savings you make in power consumption...... you're still out of pocket :LOL:

In all seriousness though, I think our lighting bill will be about 25% using EEF bulbs as opposed to regular ones and I'll get a warm fuzzy feeling that I'm "doing my bit" :LOL:

I tried them years ago and they were terrible. But perhaps 6 months ago tried again with 12 GU10 fitting downlights in the kitchen/dining area, 2 in the uility room and 2 in the downstairs loo. Much improved!

However 3 failed with a few days. These were replace without question and they've been absolutely fine since. I suspect it's like a lot of electronic kit, it either fails very quickly or lasts for years.

Just moved into a new property and the wife insisted on keeping both ceiling lights and all 3 wall lights......... new fittings were needed which require 12 E14 candle bulbs. On top of that she also chose 2 more light fittings for the hal/stairs which require 6 E14 Golf ball bulbs............

Decided to invest in energy efficient bulbs and if memory serves me correct I think we spent about 70 quid on light bulbs the other night in B&Q :eek: :bonk:

However, when you add up the savings you make in power consumption...... you're still out of pocket :LOL:

In all seriousness though, I think our lighting bill will be about 25% using EEF bulbs as opposed to regular ones and I'll get a warm fuzzy feeling that I'm "doing my bit" :LOL:

Out of the 20 bulbs I bought from B&Q last week, 3 failed as soon as I plugged them in :bang:

B&Q changed them for me without question but FFS!!! These work out at £3-£4 per bulb, they're certainly not cheap and a 15% failure rate is ludicrous!

Last edited:
I've just had a refurb done on my business premises, and we've gone down the 4W dimmable GU10 LED route - cool/day light in some rooms and warm light in others.

Although I like the type of light they emit we've had a few die already, and they also don't dim very much, especially not when compared to halogen GU10s.

Still - they're more energy efficient apparently!

I've fitted LED GU10 bulbs to replace all those throughout my home (seven in total). No failures since doing so about a year ago.

The rest of the house is all SES (previous owners liked their twee lampshades) and they are all CFLs, no failures at all, more's the pity -I'm looking for an excuse to replace the entire fittings ;)

I replaced our kitchen lights with LED ones recently. They are the GU10 halogen replacement ones and I got them from LED hut. Great service and about £8 each. Very happy with them at the moment.

3rd replacement arrived yesterday ... will see how long it lasts or until another fails.

About a year ago we replaced over 100 GU10's with Phillips LED's at some considerable expense in one of the hospitality rooms at work. When we were using the GU10's there was a couple of issues; 1. we were constantly replacing on average half a dozen per week, 2. when buying the GU10's people would inadvertently buy different spec lamps, i.e. different colour or some flood some spot lamps.

Since we changed to the LEDs I have had to change 2 transformers which weren't compatible with the LEDs and that's it. Not one lamp has failed since we installed them. The other benefit of the Phillips LEDs is that they give you a full 3 year warranty on each lamp.

We're currently looking at other areas that we can change now.

Well these LED lights from LEDHUT continue to drop like flies, lounge fitting yesterday (now 3 needing replacement), main bedroom today - seems to me that they are simply not fit for purpose!

I've not tried their standard lamp fittings yet, but http://www.brightlightz.co.uk/ LED Strip has been good since I bought it last year as a moonlight light for my fish tank.

Great service and prompt delivery.

I've just had 2 energy saving bulbs go in a lamp and I'm considering trying the LED versions.

Out of the 20 bulbs I bought from B&Q last week, 3 failed as soon as I plugged them in :bang:

B&Q changed them for me without question but FFS!!! These work out at £3-£4 per bulb, they're certainly not cheap and a 15% failure rate is ludicrous!

So far so good with the B&Q energy saving bulbs....... We've got 29 in total and after the initial 3 that blew, all good so far.

Unfortunately the "warm fuzzy" feeling hasn't materialised yet but that might be 'cos I'm still smarting from spending the best part of 80 quid on lightbulbs :LOL:

Just reported through Paypal Resolution Centre while I am still in time - they are supposed to have a 5-year guarantee but so far I've had four go in as many weeks!

Well according to LED HUT, my light fittings aren't compatible with their LED bulbs and that's why they are failing, (don't know how they come by that as they have never seen my light fittings!). :thinking:

So if you have any light fittings using a standard bayonet fitting, don't use LED HUT for your LED bulb supplies as they won't be compatible. :wacky:

5th bulb from LED HUT Ltd blew last night, that's so far 5 out of 13 failures and these cost £11+ each!

5th bulb from LED HUT Ltd blew last night, that's so far 5 out of 13 failures and these cost £11+ each!

That's terrible. :(

Well according to LED HUT, my light fittings aren't compatible with their LED bulbs and that's why they are failing, (don't know how they come by that as they have never seen my light fittings!). :thinking:

So if you have any light fittings using a standard bayonet fitting, don't use LED HUT for your LED bulb supplies as they won't be compatible. :wacky:

so, if the bulbs aren't compatible with the fittings (that they've never seen) why do they produce those bulbs with a standard bayonet fitting ?

I see their 5 year guarantee is worth while then :puke:

I've replaced all the GU10s with warm LED bulbs from LED Hut, most nearly a year ago now and I haven't had any fail (40 in total). The quality of light is excellent and obviously they are way more energy efficient than the 50W bulbs they replaced. Given that my kids and wife seem to think the lights need to be on all the time regardless of the time of day they seem a good investment.

Glad it worked out well for you, over 30% of mine were faulty and LEDHUT customer service leaves a lot to be desired - Paypal agreed and are arranging a full refund.

Back