Anyone tried the Speedlite accessory kits?

I've not got it but you can re-create most of the effects you can do with that for virtually nothing but with a bit of inventiveness and time (plus gaffer tape and cereal boxes). Have a look at strobist. There's good info on there about making DIY grids, snoots and the like. Agreed it won't look as professional but it'll do the same job.

I've not got it but you can re-create most of the effects you can do with that for virtually nothing but with a bit of inventiveness and time (plus gaffer tape and cereal boxes). Have a look at strobist. There's good info on there about making DIY grids, snoots and the like. Agreed it won't look as professional but it'll do the same job.

I have most of that stuff, but mine came into existence via the Strobist DIY route, so the total cost was about a fiver ;)

I have most of that stuff, but mine came into existence via the Strobist DIY route, so the total cost was about a fiver ;)

I have the best grid spot ever for my 580exII. Biggest expense was a packet of black straws I had to haggle for in a bar. Got them for a fiver - total rip-off but it's still not a lot of money in comparison and I've got a load left over still (after botching one grid). The hardest thing was finding glue to keep it together. After using an epoxy resin that set too brittle I tried using a dedicated plastic glue from hobbycraft. It's still holding up well 6 months later.

I've got a full box of 500 black straws (£1.95 delivered from Fleabay) so I'm set for the next 10 years or so :LOL:

I put mine together using double-sided tape,much easier to work with than glue....

Another vote here for the strobist DIY route. When you can make something that does the same job relatively easily and for next to nothing I don't see why anyone would want to buy a commercial snoot/grid etc.

I've just ordered one of these though....

55028418_o.jpg

if my calculations are right it's just the right size for my SB-600....

I've just ordered one of these though....

55028418_o.jpg

if my calculations are right it's just the right size for my SB-600....

is that for a flashgun?? going to get one of those kits, think it'll last better than one i make! :D

It's not sold for flashguns, but I think it should fit with little or no modification. I could be wrong though......:LOL:

:LOL:

Sorry I should have said more, why buy that isntead of just using gels and gobo's.

because you can modify the way the light behaves by adjusting the leaves, whereas a gobo or a snoot is fixed. I've not bought it to replace the other stuff,it's just another thing to try. It was only £13 delivered, so it still fits in with the "spend as little as possible" ethos :)

That's okay then... :LOL:

Hope it fits for you. ;)

I use flash gels on the heads and gobo's. Gobo's can be adjusted, just use a piece of card for the gobo and fold a crease in it - you can then bend it in either direction along the crease, same as the barn doors.

I think we better 'stop' making 'light' of this subject. If we don't get a 'grip' soon we'll be banned for 'exposing' this forum to too much humour. ;)

Oh er... looks like I'm the only one who can actually answer the original question "yes - I've got this set". I have seen the Stobist stuf and they look great and I guess work ok, and if you have the time to faff about making them, then that in itself is a neat little project too.

I saw these at Focus 08 and got my set for about £115 (special show price) and was using them as soon as I got back - no gaffer tape, glue drying or straw negotiations ;)

They work fine and do the job. I do need to experement a little more with 'flash lighting' overall, but for what I got 'out of the box' I thought it was great.

Back