Anyone tried this StudioKing softwall box?

Name
Imran
Edit My Images
Yes
No experience of this but a quick look at a well known auction site suggests you should be able to get a used Lastolite for the same sort of money

I'm not sure this would generate such pleasant light on your subjects' faces. If it just sat on the floor, the majority of the light will come from below.

There are plenty of Chinese factories making this type of product but generally, British companies don't bother with them and leave Lastolite with near-exclusivity, for various reasons.
I don't know who makes this particular one, it may be very good but it's impossible to tell from the limited description and poor photos, so there's a risk that the light may not distribute well within it, and if it doesn't you'll be wasting your money.

One thing that may help your decision is look at the other products from this seller - the boom arm looks OK and seems to be similar to one that we used to sell, but the other products, imo, are junk maybe not so good.

I'm guessing it'll be a bit crappy, the four rods have the type of grip you'll find on some reflector holders which makes sense there but no sense when you're trying to hold two collapsible diffusers apart from one another (that's basically what a Hilite is after all).

Still if you've got a few hours spare you can buy it and give it a try, if it turns out to be terrible you can always return it but as mentioned second hand prices for a 6x7 Hilite are similar and you get the added benefit of being able to get a train, bottletops etc.

Back