Anyone use a Canon 800mm f5.6 L in the UK for wildlife photography? birds?

Name
Graeme
Edit My Images
No
Anyone use a Canon 800mm f5.6 L in the UK for wildlife photography? birds? What are your experiences? :)

Debating getting one, currently own a canon 500mm f4 L IS , is it worth it?

G

Just out of interest why would you go for the 800 rather than 600 + 1.4x TC, the prices are similar?

Just out of interest why would you go for the 800 rather than 600 + 1.4x TC, the prices are similar?
It would be the IS II I'd be after and that is close to 10k, used prices of mint 800 f5.6s are around 6k, so there is a massive difference. The original 600 is not too great with TCs - I have the 500 IS I and I am not huge on the TC combination on that lens, and it is supposed to be sharper than the old 600.

The mki 600 is fine with a 1.4 x t.c. I don't own a 2x so can't comment.

I know @micloi used to own an use one on a regular basis for wildlife as I'll never forget my jaw dropping the first time I saw that beast of a lens, I think he has now gone over to the dark side but I'm sure if he is around he'd be happy to describe his experience of the lens

You could always hire one for a weekend from lens for hire to see how you get on with it (y)

As the title states, figured this was a better place for it really than the other forum. Anyone have any experience? :) mine is arriving tomorrow, so excited!

my thought on it would be i would love one. another thought would be that the other half would kill me if i brought one hahaha. but i hope you like it and look forward to seeing some of the photographs from you soon (y)

It's a rubbish lens, I'll take it off your hands for £10 and a packer of Werther's Original ;)

Popularity-wise it's seems to have traditionally lost out to to the 500mm+1.4x combo for reasons of cost, size and flexibility, but I've seen enough top draw photos taken using it's nothing but an amazing lens.
(Disclaimer: I can't afford any of the big whites)

Probably not something you want to hear when you've just ordered such a big lens, but the brand new one i had was so bad i had to send it back. Just really soft (by Canon big white standards). I've since tried a 600 IS mk2 and that was sharper than the 800 even with a 1.4tc on.
Probably a bad copy of it, but the new 600 is quite a bit sharper. I hope yours is a good one :)

Probably not something you want to hear when you've just ordered such a big lens, but the brand new one i had was so bad i had to send it back. Just really soft (by Canon big white standards). I've since tried a 600 IS mk2 and that was sharper than the 800 even with a 1.4tc on.
Probably a bad copy of it, but the new 600 is quite a bit sharper. I hope yours is a good one :)
Ah wow really? Well I got mine for a steal, in fact for the price i could get the new 600 I got the 800 L and a brand new 300 2.8 IS II.

The copy I have seems absolutely stunning, probably the best lens I own, I don't think my 500mm is going to see the light of day while out and about as my walkabout lens for bird photography anymore.

The 800 is not that heavy and I find it balances better as it's longer than the 500.

Took it to my local beach today, found a group of dunlins, so fired off a couple of shots. Here's one I took handheld:
14277213916_a181ac9235_z.jpg

Great shot :)
Yeh the one i bought was definitely a bad copy. Got a refund for it.
The mk2 500 & 600 are a step up in sharpness again from what i've seen and read though, especially with the use of TC's.

Glad you're happy with yours :)

Great shot :)
Yeh the one i bought was definitely a bad copy. Got a refund for it.
The mk2 500 & 600 are a step up in sharpness again from what i've seen and read though, especially with the use of TC's.

Glad you're happy with yours :)
Cheers! And yeah it's great. The 600mm is great with the TC, people say it's similar to the 800 in IQ but slower with the TC. I preferred the native 800 myself, i don't see how it could be any sharper, it's that good! Plus it saved me over 4k, lol. I'm not a huge fan of TCs myself, i simply hate the 1.4 on my 500 mk 1, i know it's not anything to judge the mk 2s by, but still.
Do you have a 600 mk 2? :)

Still on a 500 F4 at the mo. I borrowed one and was going to be ordering one in the next few months, but been a bit ill which has stopped me getting out and about much.
Check your PMs. At least i think i PM'd you, not used to the new design of the site :)

Back