Anyone use a Hoodman Loupe

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm normally stuck in a hide with a D3s and have never had a problem seeing the rear screen on the camera. I recently bought a D810 for landscapes and even though the D810 has in Nikon speak "an improved rear screen", I still struggle to see detail on it while I'm outside in daylight.

Reading a post on Facebook someone had a similar problem with another DSLR and the Hoodman Loupe was recommended as a good way of viewing the screen outdoors. Having seen the cost of the Hoodman Loupe I'd like to ask if anyone has used one and what their view were. The Hoodman Loupe looks to be made up of a non scratch rubber body that sits over the cameras rear screen, blocking out daylight and it has an adjustable eyepiece at the business end, plain 1 to 1 view, no magnification.

Yes, I have one and find it very useful. As you say it's a rubber body and doesn't scratch the screen. I also have a much more complicated (and cheaper) loupe that attaches to the camera and folds up out of the way, but since I got the Hoodman the other one just sits in it's box.

Thanks Brian, any idea why they're so expensive?

Not really, it is well made - has a hard plastic body that is covered with rubber, the lens is good (but is plastic) and can be focused which is useful if your eyesight isn't 20:20 and for some reason has a tripod bush. The reason I was happy to pay for it was that I was on a course where the course leader had one - I tried it and it just worked just as I wanted. I imagine a lot of people would be happy paying less for something that would probably do a reasonable job but I decided that as it was something that suited me and worked perfectly (for me) I had to have one. Never regretted getting it.

I've used a couple of the cheaper ones that mag-mount to a frame that glues to the rear screen. Their incredibly useful - for stills in strong sunlight and for video in any light.

I'd certainly recommend the Hoodman. We got ours at the NEC show and the guys form Hoodman did me a deal for buying two on top of the show discount price. Great product and particularly useful for sunny days

I use a loupe regularly though not a hoodman one of these its great but personally I would only ever use it for portraits with fast glass for focusing.

Thanks for all the help. I found the Hoodman Loupe on the WEX website and there are a fair number of reviews as part of the listing. All the reviews are good one most rating it at 5 stars.

I still can't understand the cost of the loupe, especially as Brian says it has a plastic lens. Having said all that, anything has to be better than not being able to view the screen in daylight when you're out in the field.

Mod edit, all dealings to be done in the classified section.

Thanks for all the help. I bought one from WEX and it arrived very early this morning, not had a chance to really try it out in the field yet but from a quick glance I can see the difference it will make.

For anyone interested in trying one out, Hoodman have a stand at the British Bird Fair at Rutland Water taking place this weekend. www.birdfair.org.uk If you can get there, they have quite a bit of stuff "On Offer" including the Hoodloupes at £75.

Brian, not sure if yours was an earlier one, but the one I have just bought has a decent glass lens that is marked as "Made in Germany".

Glad you got sorted. Will take another look at mine, I used the scientific method of tapping it with my fingernail. Sounded plastic but as it is held in with rubber it probably would! :)

I loved using my Hoodman loupe so much that it's now sitting in the cupboard, as I upgraded to a Pro Zacuto loupe.

I should really get round to adding it to the for sale section! :)

Cheers

Simin

And I thought the Hoodman Loupe was expensive.

Having looked at the Zacuto it is a similar style to the one I was using before I got the Hoodman. Very useful, but found it got in the way a lot. Much prefer the Hoodman, though I can imagine if you do a lot of video the Zacuto would be great.

Back