Anyone use a Manfrotto 405 Pro Digital Geared Head

Hi Ian,

I have both. If weight is a problem and your lenses are not too big go for the 410.

If you have no problem with weight or/and you have large lenses then go for the 405 pro.

Both very good for landscapes or if you have time to get a shot right.

Regards

Chris

Hi Ian,

I think you will get on much better with the 405. As you correctly point out the controls are bigger and easier to use.

I have both lenses and will often use the 70 - 200 for landscapes.

The 405 also works better if you have a grip and use the 70 - 200 as it fouls on the 410.

However I stopped using the grip and recently sold it because there is movement which can be noticed on a tripod between the camera and grip.

Regards

Chris

Last edited:
I am thinking of buying the Manfrotto 405 Pro Digital Geared Head and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it.

I have the 405. It can be useful for macro work. Each knob has two twist actions. One that turns the thread for fine adjustment. The other disengages the thread, so that you can mov rapidly to the rough position.

The downside is that there is no lock-off. So, when you get the position right, you can't lock it hard in that position - the head always has a little bit of play.

Andrew

I have the 410.

It's ok and from what others have said it sounds like it works the same.

On mine the quick release controls are quite stiff and I have to push hard and then they go and I stub my thumb again. Bloody thing.

Other than that it's ok.

I've got the 410 and find there can be a jump when you've gone from a coarse to a fine adjustment, which can be disconcerting when your eye's pressed to the viewfinder. Backlash, I suppose. The control knobs aren't too friendly when your hands are cold.

Hi Ian,

As suggested there by photon when you go from the 'course' adjustment to the fine adjustment there can be a bit of a kick back. I have just got used to this.

As to the controls being stiff as suggested by woof woof, they can be adjusted to whatever amount of tension is required.

There should be no play in the head at all.

When in position it would be very hard to accidentally knock the adjusters unless they are set too sloppy.

Regards

Chris

Back