Anyone Use an Apple Ipad for their Photography

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
I am not really into the latest Gizmos but I have been thinking of getting an Apple Ipad. The main reason was having the ability to use it on location as a portable viewer and having the Internet available Wifi would be an advantage when going on Holiday.

Does anyone know if there are any any apps like Lightroom or Photoshop that will enable you to edit Raw files.

If you have one what is your opinion of them, I was thinking of going for the 32GB version.

I'm using one right now to browse the forum. I love mine, it's made my laptop pretty much useless.

There is a Photoshop app, I haven't tried it with a raw file but I've seen a video on YouTube of someone editing raw files.

You can get a camera connection kit which gives you a USB port and SD card slot. Nothing for CF cards though.

I have the 16GB Wifi version, which is enough at the moment but if you're going to be using a lot of raw files you'll probably need a bit more.

The camera connection kit will handle CF cards in a reader plugged into the USB adapter, it will also handle RAW. I've also used mine with shuttersnitch app, an Eye-Fi card and a MiFi router, shuttersnitch can't handle RAW but for previewing jpegs it's great. I'm not sure I'd want to edit on it as I find accurate movement not easy with a finger on the screen.

Try as hard as I can, I can't really justify an iPad. I can see them as an alternative to a laptop that's purely used for web browsing, email etc as with instant on that's handy.
I can see them used by photographers to hold portfolio's or say to present studio shots as they are a lovely, tactile device.
I can see them as a video player (bit large for audio) and as a book reader..

...but I can do all that and more on a notebook that's half the price and I just can't get past the limitations with it.

The Mac air looks nice (although again expensive)...

Well..I'm desperate for an iPad. Can't afford it at the moment. I'd use it for showing off my best shots...both of them...posing guide...surfing. I don't consider what it won't do, I've a Mac for that. Wouldn't use it for editing.

I WANT ONE...

Do you use yours for showing your images in albums and if so how quick is it at displaying jpg

How do you find the Wifi does it have a reasonable range

Once the pics are downloaded onto the iPad you can page through them like any other images stored (ie. they open almost instantaneously). Zooming in and out is also instant.

Wifi is pretty good, I've been outside and down the garden and still had a strong connection.

Use mine for editing pics from a GF1.
Best app so far is FilterStorm.
Brilliant for the price.
FilterStorm Pro is in the pipeline.

i use mine as a reader, video, etc for personal use, then justify it for work use as a mobile portfolio and storage device, also hoping that if it does get wireless print option in the next os update then some smart bloke will design an app that i can use to do table sales and have them print at the sales station.

It is a great gadget, and soo simple, my 4 yr old can use it, and does, for educational games, angry birds etc, also makes a good replacement for the in car dvd!

Use mine for editing pics from a GF1.
Best app so far is FilterStorm.
Brilliant for the price.
FilterStorm Pro is in the pipeline.

Just had a look at Filterstorm, looks very good, for the price you can't go wrong.

I've been doing a lifestyle class recently [ and I'm not making any comments about it :( ] and on the last night our tutor was saying that he hated shooting weddings - just not his scene BUT he knew several Wedding Photographers who were now giving iPads with all the shots on instead of an album . He reckoned it was cost effective .

I have an iPad and I found that despite naming my images in a particular order, it arbitrarily decides the order it will display them in. This is particularly frustrating when showing clients examples of, say, processing styles when the order is important. Apparently it's easy to fix if you have a Mac and iPhoto but I have a PC. The only way round it I found was to manually edit the "capture date" field of each image which is a pain in the arse and I now no longer bother. Disappointed :-(

Still use it if I'm away from home overnight for Internet access though.

I use mine for displaying photos but haven't used it for editing. I can't imagine it will be as easy as using a computer

Also if you use a CF card it might not be compatible with the Camera connection kit. Most USB devices are but not all

I've been doing a lifestyle class recently [ and I'm not making any comments about it :( ] and on the last night our tutor was saying that he hated shooting weddings - just not his scene BUT he knew several Wedding Photographers who were now giving iPads with all the shots on instead of an album . He reckoned it was cost effective .
Maybe I've misunderstood what you mean here. Your tutor reckoned supplying the images on a device worth at least £429 is cost effective? How does that work?

Do you use yours for showing your images in albums and if so how quick is it at displaying jpg
Very quick - much easier and quicker than a laptop/desktop

How do you find the Wifi does it have a reasonable range
Very good range - as good as anything else I use (phones, laptops)

Try as hard as I can, I can't really justify an iPad.
Someone said to me if you try to justify it, you can't. But once you've got one you wouldn't want to be without it - he was right!

...but I can do all that and more on a notebook that's half the price and I just can't get past the limitations with it.
You're absolutely correct - but once you've used one everything else seems so big & slow ... I'm no Apple fan but it has really grown on me.

I have an iPad and I found that despite naming my images in a particular order, it arbitrarily decides the order it will display them in.
Agreed - very annoying - try using the app PosePad, best photo app for the iPad IMHO

I use mine for displaying photos but haven't used it for editing. I can't imagine it will be as easy as using a computer
Ditto - I did a shoot yesterday, downloaded the images for the client to flick through to make sure they were happy we'd captured everything - very quick and slick. Another advantage doing this is you now have a backup in case of any problems with the card(s). I have edited images on the fly but very basic and just to show what could be done - the real edit I do on a desktop PC.

Is the iPad expensive - YES! Does it offer value for money - jury's still out on that one. What it does it does well. But it doesn't do Flash, it's biggest shortcoming IMHO, you just can't see the screen in bright sunlight so useless for viewing shoots on location without a head under the coat, and it doesn't show high resolution detail (it resizes images) so not good for checking fine focus. All big issues for me.

But I love it! I'm a PC man at heart but never been an Apple-basher preferring to try for myself. I bought one to see how good it was with the view I would sell it after a while - but now don't know if I actually will. But it's best features are not photo related.

Andy

Last edited:
Also if you use a CF card it might not be compatible with the Camera connection kit. Most USB devices are but not all

I have 3 card readers, all work with the iPad camera kit and my CF cards.

Having just bought an iPad two weeks ago (and camera kit) I have found it to be a really useful piece of kit. So far I have taken it to a couple of places I take shots for people and it has been a real benefit to be able to check the shots there and then quickly and easily. Especially as I have been shooting animals.

As for justifying one, you can't, but once I bought it I didn't feel the need to anymore. They are definately a "I WANT ONE" gadget, it has suprised me how useful it has been.

If flash is something you really really want, then jailbreak the iPad and install Frash, simples ;)

As an object to display images it is unbeatable imo. I took it on a shoot in the studio on Saturday and it was fantastic to hand to the model to give her ideas on poses etc.

Theres no loading times, and its so easy to flick through albums. Add to the fact you don't have to all huddle round a laptop - I simply handed the iPad to her, explained to flick left and right to go forwards/backwards and left her with it - I could carry on setting up the lighting, nattering to her and she looked for ideas.

As a connectivity tool its not so great. The only way I can get images to it is through the laptop. That means downloading the RAWs, exporting to JPEG through lightroom, then sync with iTunes - for a big shoot that can take an hour just to export and upload.

Basically, I see it having a much bigger pre and post shoot role, than during/immediately after.

Oh, and on the justification of costs, those above are 100% correct. £429 for the cheapest option is expensive, and my sensible head says don't do it.

My cashflow hasn't been the best lately and a couple of times I've thought of selling it, but I can't do it! I'd definately miss it and I'm sure would buy another within a few weeks!

As a connectivity tool its not so great. The only way I can get images to it is through the laptop. That means downloading the RAWs, exporting to JPEG through lightroom, then sync with iTunes - for a big shoot that can take an hour just to export and upload.

Basically, I see it having a much bigger pre and post shoot role, than during/immediately after.

Have you not used the camera connection kit. This will download images straight to the iPad. Will accept RAW as well Bit of a pain if you only have CF cards as you will need a reader, but will accept SD cards straight in. OK it's a bit slow with large files, and you are really only seeing the embedded jpeg, but it does do the trick.

There are some drawbacks in that it insists on importing all the images into another collection if you insert the card again with additional pictures, but maybe someone will come up with an app that'll import and stop that happening.

Have you not used the camera connection kit. This will download images straight to the iPad. Will accept RAW as well Bit of a pain if you only have CF cards as you will need a reader

Not a huge problem, I managed to find a cheap CF reader in a computer shop for a fiver, its only slightly bigger than the CF card on all dimensions.

I've not tried it, but I don't see the point. The device isn't powerful enough to do anything with the pictures once they're downloaded OTHER THAN to display them.

I, like most of us I think, take RAWs for the flexibility they provide. I see little point downloading them to the ipad, when I will be downloading them to a full-blown PC.

Now if I could get Eye-Fi working, that would be special :)

Am I missing the point here ?

You wouldn't buy an iPad as your main photo editing resource, you'd buy it mainly to display your images (as well as the Email, web, etc etc). Certainly it's handy if you could modify them, but that's not it's primary purpose.

Compared to a laptop or netbook, it's battery life is far greater, it's light, easy to use and looks much cooler too. It really is a go anywhere browsing device with instant access to a number of services.

Steve

My wife was fuming when I got one... now she uses it every day ahead of laptop.

For taking out its light and small. Has great battery life, does not get hot and on instantly. Great for email, web and photos, my son also watches dvds on it.

It cannot (for most people) replace a laptop, but is a great piece of kit.

An ipad should certainly display colour more accurately than any current laptop as it has an 8 bit IPS screen and I'm not aware of any laptop device which has an IPS screen.
It's still quite a low resolution device so I'd imagine it's more for viewing than editing!

Try as hard as I can, I can't really justify an iPad...

From post 5 above.

I've just bought one.

Got offered a newish 32Gb wifi one for £250. The current owner bought it a couple of weeks ago, but has now got the larger 3g one, so just wants to shift this on before his missus finds out.

So I'm thinking tethering, is there something like ShutterSnitch for thethered via the camera connector rather than wireless?
that remote camera app (http://www.ononesoftware.com/products/dslr-camera-remote/)

Last edited:
So I'm thinking tethering, is there something like ShutterSnitch for thethered via the camera connector rather than wireless?
that remote camera app (http://www.ononesoftware.com/products/dslr-camera-remote/)

You can't shoot tethered directly to the iPad, so you need to go via a laptop.

As an alternative to the OnOne software you could use Air display which replicates the laptop display on the iPad. You need to be able to set up an Ad Hoc network using the laptop as the router. ( instructions with Air Display ) . The screen of the laptop can then be displayed on the iPad. Not exactly as the OnOne software but a lot cheaper at £5.99

Anyone used shuttersnitch and the EyeFi wireless cards and SDHC to CF adaptors. I've got a 50D and £500+ for the canon wifi file transmitter is a touch pricey. For that I'll stay tethered to the laptop.

Anyone used shuttersnitch and the EyeFi wireless cards and SDHC to CF adaptors. I've got a 50D and £500+ for the canon wifi file transmitter is a touch pricey. For that I'll stay tethered to the laptop.

Check out the link in post #27, i think the problem is getting an SD to CF adaptor that is compatible..

(y)

The iPad is fantastic for showing off your portfolio, but anybody who thinks it might be useful for image editing is in for a disappointment. I have a Lightroom export preset that resizes images to 2048 pixels on the longest edge. The images then get copied to the iPad into separate folders for each subject.

I also love it for web browsing. No more getting a numb bum from sitting at a desk, or roasted nuts from using the laptop on my lap.

I would like to add that the apple iPad is like a very **** laptop.

Don't become suckered in by Apple and their fancy pricing. I would rather spend half the price and get a decent laptop or tablet pc. Buying an iPad is a seriously lame thing to do.

Perhaps in YOUR opinion.

But seeing as the ipad is not even a laptop, and doesn't even try to be a laptop, I wonder how much of your opinion is actually based on fact?

get a decent laptop or tablet pc.

Er, can you give us a link to one of these tablet PCs that cost half the price of an iPad? Preferably one with an IPS screen and a 10 hour battery life?

And why is it that the iPad haters seem to think that one can only own an iPad or a laptop? Do these same people only own one tool (buying a screwdriver is stupid because it's not very good at hammering in nails). Those of us with some sense own both. If I'm going to be working away from home then I'll take my laptop. If, while I'm away from home, all I want to do is emails, web surfing, showing people my pictures, watching videos or TV, playing games, listening to music etc. then I'll save weight and space by taking my iPad.

Sensible people use the right tool for the right job.

Can the ipad access a NAS drive via wifi so that it can be used as a portable display device with access to thousands and thousands of photos?

Any issues with the ipad displaying large RAW files from the 5Dii? Is it simply a matter of getting the camera connection kit, plug in the camera, upload the RAWs and away you go?

At the moment the iPad is realistically limited to providing a backup and quick preview / filtering (ie deleting) photos before you get back to your main computer. Note that if you shoot RAW it will also back those up, at full quality, and allow you to sync those to your computer when you connect it - just like from the memory card.

If you edit a photo on your iPad, it is resized down to ~2k pixels on the long edge and saves back as a new jpg, in a different folder, with none of the camera's meta data, and without any recognisable filename to allow you to associate it with the original. Fine for quick snapshots for Facebook or whatever, but not something i'd want to do with decent photos.

I would hope that there will eventually / soon be some sort of app that syncs to Aperture / Lightroom. I can see it being incredibly useful if i could do my filtering, keywording, and rating/tagging etc my photos on my iPad before i get back to my computer. When i get back, it could then sync and all the new photos would merge seamlessly into Aperture / Lightroom (obviously each would need a bespoke iPad app and support from the main application too). I could also foresee the ability to do things like crop, rotate, and maybe even the basic exposure/contrast/etc type corrections on the iPad - it would probably have to work on a jpeg copy, but since those things can all be described in metadata those could sync and apply to the RAW in the main library once synced with your computer. Now obviously i have no idea if anyone is working on any of this functionality, but seems like an obvious enhancement to me, given the current very limited utility of the Camera Connection Kit beyond backup and "Facebook photos". Here's hoping!

David

Perhaps in YOUR opinion.

But seeing as the ipad is not even a laptop, and doesn't even try to be a laptop, I wonder how much of your opinion is actually based on fact?

Well lets justify the £700 price tag shall we:

A beautiful closed app system so unless its on the app store you aren't going to get that program you wanted.

Lack of a basic camera (despite promised) to I dunno save some weight or maybe so that people will have to buy the next model if they want to do some of the basic things most devices are capable of like video conferencing.

The web experience is by far just retarded compared to similar devices or products in the same price range, I mean I don't know about you but I like to actually be able to see flash media content when I browse the web.

Aspect ratio is inferior.

It's basically a large iPod Touch.

It will be obsolete soon anyway as the next generation comes out with the features they didnt deliver with the current generation but promised. Doesn't matter though the Apple fanboys will still skupper another £500.

As a handheld device it is still heavy. Try using it as an E-reader.

The claim of 10 hours battery life is not only pathetic but untrue.

64GB of space for £700 with no expandable memory, yep true bargain that.

And why is it that the iPad haters seem to think that one can only own an iPad or a laptop? Do these same people only own one tool.Those of us with some sense own both. If I'm going to be working away from home then I'll take my laptop. If, while I'm away from home, all I want to do is emails, web surfing, showing people my pictures, watching videos or TV, playing games, listening to music etc. then I'll save weight and space by taking my iPad.

Sensible people use the right tool for the right job.

Whilst we are on the subject for a right tool for the right job,

Smartphone, netbook, TV all of which are by far the more appropriate tools for your list above than an iPad. You would be better off with a macbook air if your devotion is so blind towards Apple products, at least it addresses most the failure of the iPad.

zsq2js.jpg

Back