Anyone use Flir for wildlife tracking?

Edit My Images
Yes
My mate has a Flir One for sale and I was considering buying it as it's pretty cheap. You connect it to your phone and use the phone screen to see the thermal. You can make out an object to about 100+ft, albeit it's a little more blob like, but you can get the general shape and size.

Just wondering if anyone has used this device or something similar to help find animals? I thought it seemed like a more unobtrusive way to look for wildlife.

My mate has a Flir One for sale and I was considering buying it as it's pretty cheap. You connect it to your phone and use the phone screen to see the thermal. You can make out an object to about 100+ft, albeit it's a little more blob like, but you can get the general shape and size.

Just wondering if anyone has used this device or something similar to help find animals? I thought it seemed like a more unobtrusive way to look for wildlife.
Looks like an interesting device.

When I hear a Tawny Owl in the nearby trees I have often wondered what a thermal imaging camera would show as to it and other potentially roosting birds there?

Well I ended up buying it. I'll collect it later.in the week and give it a test and post the results.

Keep us posted please, very interesting.

Will do, Dale. I've planned to try and get some audio tomorrow with the intention of getting a squirrel eating so it'll hopefully come in handy looking for them. Plus I'll hopefully find the fox cubs I've been looking for.

I'll upload a video so you can see what it's like once I've got the footage, I'm quite excited to try it out.

Last edited:
I have a thermal monocular that I have used quite a lot for looking for wildlife. Birds are not easy to spot in trees as the leaves and the feathers are very good at blocking the heat signature. Mammals are much easier to spot. I often use that instead of my binoculars.

Back