Anyone use olympus or Panasonic for wildlife

Hi Jeff ( @the black fox ), what were your reasons for going for the Panasonic over an Olympus OMD? Did you try both?

I'm currently mulling over swapping my Nikon stuff for, definitely, a Pana Leica 100-400 lens but am researching bodies. It seems to have come down to the G80 and the Olympus OMD - either mk1 or mk2.

Appreciate your thoughts?

Cheers,
Wez

hi wez
my choice of bodies was purely financial ,the g80 currently comes as a offer with a 12-60mm lens and £100 cashback to ,bringing the price down to £650 u.k main dealer ,either the Olympus omd1-mkii or the Panasonic g9 are around £1400 . plus although pano lenses will work on the Olympus some of the functions are missing so I was told ..the g80 is a fast focussing camera and has been around for a year roughly so the bugs are ironed out , and the all up weight camera and lens is 1.5kg . the focus is not as fast as a canon 1D but definetly as fast as the mid range models ,and like any camera can be difficult in thick woodlands .there are quiet a few little bits and bobs I'm starting to like on it i.e you can change the size of the focus point by pulling it in and out for precise focus .
the omd1-mk1 is o.k but not up to the newer sensor standards . find somewhere to try before you buy if possible

one from yesterday on a leisurely walkabout hand held with new rig ,the ability to go from a ultra close up lens to a super tele is invigorating

yellow tip feeding time by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

hi wez
my choice of bodies was purely financial ,the g80 currently comes as a offer with a 12-60mm lens and £100 cashback to ,bringing the price down to £650 u.k main dealer ,either the Olympus omd1-mkii or the Panasonic g9 are around £1400 . plus although pano lenses will work on the Olympus some of the functions are missing so I was told ..the g80 is a fast focussing camera and has been around for a year roughly so the bugs are ironed out , and the all up weight camera and lens is 1.5kg . the focus is not as fast as a canon 1D but definetly as fast as the mid range models ,and like any camera can be difficult in thick woodlands .there are quiet a few little bits and bobs I'm starting to like on it i.e you can change the size of the focus point by pulling it in and out for precise focus .
the omd1-mk1 is o.k but not up to the newer sensor standards . find somewhere to try before you buy if possible

Thanks Jeff, cracking picture btw (y)

I see what you mean - the price difference between the G80 and the Oly OMD mk 2 is nearly a grand! A massive difference if you're not too sure on mirrorless. Going to have to think a little bit more, I think!

Thanks Jeff, cracking picture btw (y)

I see what you mean - the price difference between the G80 and the Oly OMD mk 2 is nearly a grand! A massive difference if you're not too sure on mirrorless. Going to have to think a little bit more, I think!

Panasonic G9 is the comparison to the OMD E-M-1ii

Back