Anyone use Plusnet Broadband ?

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been using Sky unlimited broadband for a while and I am thinking of getting fiber. Sky is around £12 extra more a month on top of what I pay but Plusnet is only around £4 extra so we are thinking of going with Plusnet

Just want to check what they are like as a company before signing up for 18 months

Is the connection good, good service, etc

In my 5yr experience, excellent company to deal with and broadband stable and fast, though not had their fibre service. If you ever need it, support is first class.
Only left last year as Sky had a deal plusnet could not beat, so may go back when this contract ends.

PS don't forget to check out Quidco for cashback: http://www.quidco.com/plusnet/

Last edited:
My partner has them as her ISP in her shop (ADSL). They appear OK, and have UK call centres who can actually deal with semi-technical questions! In the time we've been with them, they have been reliable APART from:

• I wanted a static IP. This worked until the modem disconnected/reconnected then the shop couldn't access the internet and it couldn't access the shop. I suspected a routing issue at their end which was never found.
  • We had a days outage about 6 weeks ago when they did some maintenance and it "went wrong". I needed to reboot router/modem.

Ping times and network loss (I monitor this on my connection) seem fine.

At home, I'm with Clara.Net and would be happier recommending them, but they are more than 2x the price.... You pays your money and you makes your choice...

Thanks, my connection with sky broadband has not been to bad BUT we have had may times when we have lost both broadband and telephone together and we live in a mobile black spot so no communication with the outside word at all - not even 999 which was terrible (and we have a disabled son)

In fact the first week we connected with them it went off about 5 times.

I was with Plusnet some years ago, and had a good experience, both good connection and support (only changed when we moved home and they couldn't supply at the new address). No idea what they are like now.

Thanks - well to be honest I was surprised they could do fiber were I live as we are in the sticks a bit but the site says so and so did the women I talked to

I've had broadband via PlusNet for quite some years and rate them very good for dealing with issues that occasionally occur.

I find them great...customer service based in this country. They also offer half price BT sport which isn't well advertised.

I'm very close to eleven years with Plus. I've had a few problems but nothing major. Support was poor for a while just before BT bought them but that was down to expanding too fast. I've just upgraded to FTTC and am getting 45Mbps and 4.5MBps downloads. I pay £1 per month to have my domain hosted there and also get 250MB web space but that's not available any more.

I had used PlusNet for 10 years without a hiccough. When it came to them installing fibre at my new place it was an absolute nightmare of poor customer service, poor communication and shocking organisation. It took over 12 weeks before I finally had a connection and that included three wasted engineer visits. I still went with them, however, because when it comes to the product it is stable and as cheap as chips. The nightmare start has long since been forgotten.

Have them at home 3yrs and work 18mths as well all fibre and all OK the call centre is close to me (Sheffield) so dont have any problem understanding them and never had any issues

I had used PlusNet for 10 years without a hiccough. When it came to them installing fibre at my new place it was an absolute nightmare of poor customer service, poor communication and shocking organisation. It took over 12 weeks before I finally had a connection and that included three wasted engineer visits. I still went with them, however, because when it comes to the product it is stable and as cheap as chips. The nightmare start has long since been forgotten.

That sounds bad but luckily it seems to be a one off from what everyone else has said so still sounding good

I went from Plusnet to BT, even though they are meant to be the same suppliers I would go back and will be, as soon as my new contract runs out.

Sent from my iPhone using Talk Photography Forums

I went from Plusnet to BT, even though they are meant to be the same suppliers I would go back and will be, as soon as my new contract runs out.

Sent from my iPhone using Talk Photography Forums

So you preferred Plusnet to BT ? - why ?

One other reason for me switching from Sky apart from Sky not being able to touch the price was the reliability of my sky connection. We have had so many times this year were we have lost broadband and telephone its just not funny. Hoping Plusnet will be better

I never had a problem with my plusnet internet connection (adsl) or their service but I keep loosing connection to my BT broadband. BT also completely messed up the new subscription, they even cancelled it twice! All this just before Christmas, with numerous long telephone calls, mainly on hold or being transferred, trying to get it resolved. The problem ended up getting escalated to a UK customer service team, as the normal call centre was unable to explain what was happening.

My main reason for changing was I wanted to go fibre, for faster uploads, and thought with a BT account I can use all the BT hotspots, plus the price was only a little bit more and they was offering vouchers for next and Sainsburys. Hopefully they will still turn up.

Ahhh right... well I went to Plusnet also for the fiber and Sky would have cost me £5 a month than Plusnet plus for the first six months its only around £3.

When its at full price (after 6 months offer) I will only be paying Plusnet around £3 more a month for fiber - with sky I was getting speeds of 2Meg with standard broadband with the fiber they said I should get around 35 so I will see a BIG difference :)

I also have been a long term PN customer. Yet to go fibre primarily need to justify the cost difference between my ADSL service and fibre!

You mention that your Sky connection was poor.......do I surmise correctly you were getting the service via the phone line? If so do bear in mind that if your problems were on the copper from the exchange to the house the problem may persist but if so I would think PN would be more pro active in sorting you out compared to Sky. But if the issue was down to Sky system further back beyond the exchange then you should be good to go :)

When I am back on the PC I will post a link to the very active PN Community forum where the PN staff do look in and respond to customer questions.

I am positive my sky connection was poor because of something they did or did not do at the exchange. I used to be with another less well known IPS and over 4 years I had NO problems at all and think I was disconnected maybe once.

I signed up to sky and right from day one I had LOADS of connection problems and not just the broadband but also the phone would go off - it was appalling and with no 999 service in an area that has no mobile signal and I have a disabled son was no acceptable

Not sure what you are paying for your broadband but for me the fiber from plusnet will only cost me around £3 extra than I was paying at Sky for normal broadband and that's without the 6 months offer making it even cheaper

Last edited:
I have plusnet and BT fibre lines and both work really well and both suck when you want support over the phone (long queues). I was able to get a static IP for work for my Plusnet line and it is cheaper. It also has a lower ping in general for me but only by 5-10ms which in reality is un-noticeable.

I would quite happily get plusnet as long as it is an unlimited package.

Hi John

As promised here is the PN link http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/board,3.0.html

My ADSL costs £9.99 but the last time they quoted me for Fibre, as long standing customer, it was £15.99 if I took their phone service as well! NB all the great offers are as is the case with so many "products" aimed at new customers only :(

I have plusnet and BT fibre lines and both work really well and both suck when you want support over the phone (long queues). I was able to get a static IP for work for my Plusnet line and it is cheaper. It also has a lower ping in general for me but only by 5-10ms which in reality is un-noticeable.

I would quite happily get plusnet as long as it is an unlimited package.

Yeah it is unlimited package I made sure of that like I had on sky

Hi John

As promised here is the PN link http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/board,3.0.html

My ADSL costs £9.99 but the last time they quoted me for Fibre, as long standing customer, it was £15.99 if I took their phone service as well! NB all the great offers are as is the case with so many "products" aimed at new customers only :(

Yeah sometimes new customers get better offers like with Sky but all I know is for me its a LOT cheaper for 6 months then after the offer period its only around £3 more for fiber than normal broadband with sky

OK thought I would update this in case anyone in the future needed to know.

Got our plusnet installation on the day they said. It was all done quickly and easily and I went from 1.7 Meg to 37 Meg. Its been a few weeks now and all is quick and stable so very happy

OK thought I would update this in case anyone in the future needed to know.

Got our plusnet installation on the day they said. It was all done quickly and easily and I went from 1.7 Meg to 37 Meg. Its been a few weeks now and all is quick and stable so very happy

Sounds like a huge improvement, wish I could get fibre, how long were you without broadband during the switchover John?

I never thought I could get fiber we live out in the sticks and I only looked into it because my father in law got it. I was very surprised it was available for us. We waited about 3 weeks for the changeover but never was without broadband in that time. It just switched from my old ISP to plusnet on the same day

That's good to hear! I'm ditching talktalk but will get grief from the teenagers if there's no broadband for more than a day or so. Also a heads up: Quidco £70 cashback if you switch to plusnet broadband, £100 for switching to fibre.

I wish I had known about quidco
That £100 would have been nice. I did loose broadband for few hours between sky knocking us off and plusnet connecting us

Late to the party, but I really like plusnet as a company/their customer service.

My broadband is pretty basic so no impressive speeds unfortunately, will definitely go fibre in future

Late to the party, but I really like plusnet as a company/their customer service.

My broadband is pretty basic so no impressive speeds unfortunately, will definitely go fibre in future

Yeah if you can then go with fiber - I went from 1.7meg to around 37 and its great - but of course it does not help if the server at the other end is slow :rolleyes:

That's good to hear! I'm ditching talktalk but will get grief from the teenagers if there's no broadband for more than a day or so. Also a heads up: Quidco £70 cashback if you switch to plusnet broadband, £100 for switching to fibre.

Do you know if that Quidco payback is just for ISP switchers or does it include PN customers moving from ADSL to fibre???

I've been with Plusnet approaching 2 years now. I have the fibre product and according to Speedtest tonight, get speeds of 74.23MB/s down and 19.25MB/s up. Customer service and uptime is excellent.

It looks like it's only new customers.....

Darn :( though PN are IMO a good ISP and their CSC and other support folk are very helpful they do not do enough to encourage long term customers to upgrade..... I have been with them since 2003 and last time asked for a deal it was limited!

(y)OK that does it - I'm switching, can cope with a day offline, but any more I would be lynched, cheers John.

(y)OK that does it - I'm switching, can cope with a day offline, but any more I would be lynched, cheers John.

No it was only a short time but plusnet told me not to tell my previous ISP (sky) about switching straight away as they sometimes can disconnect you to soon. So I left it with plusnet and they sorted it... I lost my sky broadband on the morning of the switch and was with plusnet by the afternoon

Hi John,

How is the plus net bb/company? Thinking of switching this year from talktalk, don't have fiber in our area so it will be standard BB and phone .

Thanks

Kev

Back