Anyone use Plusnet for broad and ?

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm about to dump my internet provider (Virgin Media) as latley after 12 years they have become really bad and have tried to up the price to to an unrealistic level. I have thought about going with Plusnet has anyone any experience with them ?

I have used them for last 18 months for Bb and phone, and have been happy. Had a a couple of days of intermittent dns issues roughly in January but no other issues.

I use my own router, on an adsl service.

I've had them for 12 months since we moved house.

Use their router without problem, speed is always good. The only downtime was a couple of weeks ago when OpenReach had to investigate as the whole area was blacked out for about 6 hours so not a lot PlusNet could do to be honest!

Mind you I never had any trouble with TalkTalk and they have a poor reputation. I think the for most people, most of the time, it just works. The only time you can really tell companies apart is the rare occassion that something goes wrong

I have been with them for a few years, no problems. I do use my own router and at the mo we only have normal adsl down our street, waiting for BT to update the exchange and cables.

If you do go to plus net don’t forget about cash back sites to get some money back.

Yes use plusnet, swapped from BT as it was cheaper (although owned by BT!)

Use it for the usual surfing, smart TV, movies, music streaming, gaming (xbox) etc etc.

Rarely goes down (use the basic plusnet router). Never had any problems so not had a cause to call customer services.

Happy with them, so not looking to change atm.

I recently moved to them from BT. Service is unlimited fibre, but it doesn't seem to be any better and occasionally worse. I had to give up watching BT Sport last night as the picture kept breaking up, but hopefully a one-off.

I was with them a few years ago. Great service and good forum support.

I was with them for a while after they bought out my isp of the time. It was a while ago and I don't remember any major issues other than they had no real control over BT when faults occurred.

I have been with Plusnet since April of this year, and whilst they do provide me with the line speed that they said I would get I find their customer service staff to be utterly incompetent. To be honest you would get more sense from a lobotomised amoeba.
And this is one of the reasons why they are cheap, they don't employ competent people in customer facing roles, they employ people to read scripts they don't understand rather than people that understand networks, routing and IP.

I'm about to dump my internet provider (Virgin Media) as latley after 12 years they have become really bad and have tried to up the price to to an unrealistic level. I have thought about going with Plusnet has anyone any experience with them ?
Ring Virgin Media, and you’ll get a better deal

I've been with Talk Talk since AOL days for phone and broadband and like someone said in here, it works. There was a time when my broadband speed was creeping down and was getting 10 mbps which I felt wasn't very good for "fast" broadband. So, I left a message on their facebook page as well as their own forum and within two weeks they got an engineer to look inside my house. He traced it to a corroded BT junction box on the inside of my window and not only he sorted that out, he put in a new up to date phone jack and now I'm getting 45 mbps solid . . . and I never got charged for the visit even though technically the fault was inside my house.

EDIT: I just did a speed test and not only it's still a solid 46 mbps download, I've achieved a record breaking (for my house) 19 mbps upload, normally it's around 10.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone much appreciated, Virgin has recently gone from £30 to £45 and there customer service is diabolical sometime taking an hour or more to get through (I have no phone line so this is done on my mobile using more than months talk time) only to be greeted by a foreign voice that makes it a real struggle to communicate with. I will of course as Phil suggested try to haggle it down first ( If I can get through) but I do doubt that they will come down to the £25 from £45 that they are charging at the moment.

Thanks again for all your help

Ring Virgin Media, and you’ll get a better deal
This.

I kicked off at them on their live chat and got a decent wedge knocked off a month. No need to call.

Personally I love the speeds nobody else can provide. Reliability around here is very good (of course milage will vary with any isp depending on area) and service has been good on the few occasions I've needed them.

I'd be very reluctant to return to a bt backed service now.

Last edited:
I would have used the live chat but unfortunately it has been inop for a while some thing that they are kicking off about on there forum.

5 mins on the phone got me £20 a month off my bill.

Yes we use them. They have been very good. Internet reliable. Call centre responsive and helpful. Customer support is based in the UK, so communication is easy. I think they got a good write up from Which at some point.

Been with them for 2yrs and last week decided to go with BT.
Service has been fine, but if you do need to call them, they ALWAYS have the 'call times longer than normal ' message and it takes at least 15-20min to get through. I've always found the person on the other end friendly and in most cases competent.
Move to BT was on the back of pn putting charges up and when I called, they were unable to meet or beat the BT rate.
Considering it is the same thing with a different face on it, I opted to change. Let's see if this adds to my list of "feqin stupid things I've done".....

Last edited:
All providers will have many good and bad points. I went with plusnet a few years ago but as they didn’t bother telling me they were not going to turn up on the day they were supposed to I cancelled before it went live. They just didn’t care.

Been with bt since I left sky (have worked for both in the past) both have been fine and bt I get 77mb or so.

Move to BT was on the back of pn putting charges up and when I called, they were unable to meet or beat the BT rate.
Considering it is the same thing with a different face on it, I opted to change. Let's see if this adds to my list of "feqin stupid things I've done".....

Funnily enough my move to PN was the inverse, BT not prepared to meet PN price, despite advertising the same price to new customers....

the thing to watch with BT is the price will increase automatically back to standard rate at the end of minimum contract whereas PN has rolled on at same rate.

Hi

What router are you using worth PlusNet ?

Thank you

Plusnet HNT3, which seems awfully like the BT Home Hub 5 in a white case.

Thank you, I have the same one but it keeps rebooting every few day.

Looking for a cheap alternative to try before buying a proper one.

I recently switched from BT to Plusnet and when I spoke to their agent on a technical query the said it's basically the same thing.

However, my new router seems to suffer from wireless congestion, which the HH5 didn't so I might switch back to the BT device.

TP-link TD-w9970 here which was a cheap one from Argos or amazon.

Use it for router and WiFi, within a flat without any issues. They seem to last around 4 years.

@Nawty if you can get into the admin panel it would be worth seeing if you can change the channel (from memory there are 12 channels and most routers default to channel 6).

TP-link TD-w9970 here which was a cheap one from Argos or amazon.

Use it for router and WiFi, within a flat without any issues. They seem to last around 4 years.

@Nawty if you can get into the admin panel it would be worth seeing if you can change the channel (from memory there are 12 channels and most routers default to channel 6).

Thanks, it's on my list of things to do but isn't quite annoying enough yet to make me do it...

I'm on Plusnet FTTC. Use their router as a modem, connected to BT WholeHome wireless mesh network.

No issues at all.

I'm with Plusnet and still on old crappy ADSL as BT refuses to upgrade my cabinet to fibre.
No problems with Plusnet.

Was with them for ADSL a couple of years but they keep creeping the price up.
When it got to £35/month (for 4mb ADSL!) enough was enough and as we had renewed power with SSE found they can do the same deal for just £19.
That's for three years though no actual contract if we left.

Then the fun part was plusnet continuing to send bills for part of the service and trying to take payment by Direct Debit.
When contacted they agreed their service was fully ended and advised to cancel the direct debit.
Bills for random amounts and threatening emails about direct debit not allowed and cutting us off (lol) continued.
Their final demand was for £0.99, four months after they had nothing to do with our service and stated the same both on phone and by email.
They decided to block the email address their end so no further demands for random amounts could be sent out.

I'm amazed by pure luck we can get 4mb actually, there is no plan for fibre and we have no mobile signal at all let alone data.
This is a significant village only about 10 miles from industrial Teesside but we may as well be in darkest Africa.
Scrub that they will have 3G most likely.

Last edited:
I switched to Plusnet Fibre after my BT bill doubled overnight to £58, I don't use BT TV (the thing isn't even plugged in) and we don't have a landline plugged in either so this was ridiculous

As always when a big price change happens I phoned BT and asked if they could reduce it and they couldn't, not by much anyway. So I told them I was switching to Plusnet which is super easy, you just sign up and they do the rest.

You then get loads of emails from BT saying sorry to see you go, please stay etc which you ignore. They then called and said they could match the £26 from Plusnet and it would be easier for me as I wouldn't have to change anything. I told them to stick it, too late now.

Plusnet were very good, I have a couple of SIM cards with them and have been impressed with the service and they are ranked as one of the better providers and am happy with the service this time.

However, despite being supposedly the same thing the Plusnet router was getting issues with the wifi (as mentioned above - Plusnet did send me some instructions to fix it but it would have required putting the password in everything again, which I couldn't face) so I changed back to the BT HomeHub (you just change the username and password) and all seems dandy, naturally everything remembers the old SSID and password. The HH does seem a little heavier than the Plusnet router so I wonder if there are bigger aerials inside?

I was with Plusnet years ago with their 2mb ADSL service.
I'm going to move back to them in a couple of weeks when my BT contract ends as I will save myself £20 per month for FTTC and line rental plus a fixed price with no increase.
I also considered Zen as they were really good as well but they are as expensive as BT.

I have used Plusnet for several years now. I pay for 10Mb and get 12. I have only had occasion to use their customer service the once - they were excellent. They arranged for BT to come and sort their line out at no cost to me. I have changed their router for a better one to get Wifi throughout the house - ours is a long thin house and the kitchen is a long way from the router.

I use Plusnet and have for about 9 years. Decent service plus I get cheaper deals on Plusnet mobile sim only.

Back