Anyone used a EOS 30v / Elan 7ne ?

TheBigYin

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
I've been offered a 30v body for what appears to be a reasonable price (i.e. less than they go for on average on fleabay :)) The person who's offering it is a customer of mine, so there's even scope for a little barter in there - knock something off the next invoice, rather than hand over ££'s. I've had a quick look online at the manual, and specifications, and it seems a decent enough bit of kit, a bit like my EOS-3 but with less sophisticated metering and AF (actually very much like the EOS-450's :LOL:), but with a onboard pop-up flash. Just wondered if anyone had used one, and had anything to offer - known problems etc ?

The guy's happy for me to borrow it for a week or so, run a couple of films and make sure it all works, so I'll probably get hold of it anyway sometime this week. Who know's it might just be a handy second body to the EOS-3 :shrug:

Only used the Elan IIe BY, which was a very nice camera... if the 7e is anything like it then it'll be OK, I noticed a 55/IIe on the bay a while ago which is the one with the panorama mode... does the 7e have this?

Not as far as I'm aware of Arthur, shame, as a pano. mode would be cool by me, might assuage xPan envy for a while :)

you do know mark that many compact af cameras have a pano mode. Let me have your addy, I'll send you one. Its basically a mask though - nothing like an X pan

Yes, I know that Ujjwal, I even have a pan adapter for the Minoltas! Not many slr's have the facility as standard though.

you do know mark that many compact af cameras have a pano mode. Let me have your addy, I'll send you one. Its basically a mask though - nothing like an X pan

Ah - if it just masks off the top and bottom of frame, that's a no-go can't see the point in wasting good film real-estate - especially on 35mm. I can simply shoot for a pano. and crop in the virtual darkroom - as you know, I'm no Henri Cartier-Bresson type "must print full frame" purist :shrug:

I vaguely remember one of my mates having a APS camera that did the in-camera cropping trick and the prints were fine, at happy-snap sizes, but scaled awfully. As I don't really tend to print anything less than 10x8's (or 8" on the narrow edge for pano's) there's just not enough film to scan without a flatbed scanner.

I guess we lose sight of the fact that when these things were conceived, most people did not develop their own pics... and the Ricoh pan option does use a wider lens in this mode (which makes for some excellent pics if you select pan mode (i.e. silly-wide lens) and disable the masks :D)

I guess we lose sight of the fact that when these things were conceived, most people did not develop their own pics... and the Ricoh pan option does use a wider lens in this mode (which makes for some excellent pics if you select pan mode (i.e. silly-wide lens) and disable the masks :D)

But the ricoh with the mask disabled is simply a wide angle lens.

Yup - true. Very Lomo-esque it is too since it is not a full frame lens.

Well - I've had a look at it, and it's in great condition - as far as I can tell, everything works - meter reads pretty much same as the EOS-3 and 450D, AF is fast and snappy, at least with the 28-105USM on, I'll give it a try with some of the L glass later. First impressions are - well - it's a EOS... It's not up to the standard of the 3, I never expected it would be, but it's a bit smaller, quite a bit lighter, yet still feels solid enough. The built-in flash could come in handy (now I've actually started using flash on the 450D and worked out how it can be useful - I know, I know...) and he's happy for me to keep hold of it and run a couple of films through it - just wants it to go to a good home I reckon. Only downside is.... It smells! It's been stored in it's original box, in a bedroom drawer, and I think the blokes wife uses those godawful scented drawer liners. Still - that's nothing that airing it out will not put right - and I reckon for £25 off his next bill, i'll have a spare body for the collection :)

And after a better mess around with it, I can cheerfully say, as long as it doesn't eat the film I'm gonna put in there tomorrow, it'll be staying chez Yin :) It seems to have lost the worst of the old ladys knicker drawer smell, after a day on the windowsill, and i've tested everything I can without a film in it. It's fairly recent too - made June 2005 according to the date codes :eek:

I promised myself I wasn't gonna buy any more cameras for a while - it's about time I got hold of my own set of glass for the ones i've got, rather than the "long term loaners" i'm using, but as a direct replacement for the loaners is coming in at over 2K, it's not going to happen overnight.

It don't matter how you rationalise it Mark - get over to the new toy thread!

It don't matter how you rationalise it Mark - get over to the new toy thread!

Oh - it's staying - I'll grab some shots of it over the space of today and post 'em up in new toys.

I just really need to get myself a set of EF glass before my mate decides to re-posess that peli-case of L's... :(

Back