Anyone used Ars-Imago monobath ?

Edit My Images
Yes
In the near future I intend to start processing my own Black and White films and thought about using Ars-Imago monobath to start with for ease of use. Have any of you used it and how many films can I process with it ? As it only lasts a couple of weeks I would build a small stock of used film then process in a batch but wondered how many to use. What films have you processed with it ? and what do youthink of the results ?

thanks all

In the near future I intend to start processing my own Black and White films and thought about using Ars-Imago monobath to start with for ease of use. Have any of you used it and how many films can I process with it ? As it only lasts a couple of weeks I would build a small stock of used film then process in a batch but wondered how many to use. What films have you processed with it ? and what do youthink of the results ?

thanks all
I haven't started yet but I have some arriving tomorrow to use with a couple of Agfa Rondinax tanks. These tanks hold about 200-300ml so I should be able to get at least two lots out of this stuff, each lot should last two weeks and do 15 films.

The part A and B make up 600ml which will do 15 films, but the Rondinax halves the amount and so doubles the number of films. I have a Rollei RPX25 and Ilford HP5 in 35mm and Ilford FP4 Plus in 120 waiting to go.

I have been shooting XP2 Super, which uses the C41 process, though I believe you can cross process it. I do also have some found film around which may be worth trying to develop.

I'll probably wait until Sunday before I start. I may have another film to develop by then. The Rondinax has a disadvantage, you have to continuously rotate the reel as only half of the film is submerged, and it appears to be 8 minutes for box speed, followed by the same time being washed.

Oh yes and it says it's better with cubic grain films than T grained ones:

You can achieve the best results with conventional cubic-grain films like Ilford's HP5 and FP4, Kodak Tri-X or Kentmere. It is not recommended to use Monobath with T-Grain films like Ilford Delta or Kodak T-Max.

The part A and B make up 600ml which will do 15 films, but the Rondinax halves the amount and so doubles the number of films. I have a Rollei RPX25 and Ilford HP5 in 35mm and Ilford FP4 Plus in 120 waiting to go.

[...]

The Rondinax has a disadvantage, you have to continuously rotate the reel as only half of the film is submerged, and it appears to be 8 minutes for box speed, followed by the same time being washed.

Two things worth noting... it appears Rollei RPX 25 has a polyester base, as do many other Rollei films. This base can be a lot tougher than the normal acetate and I found the guillotine would not cut it. I had to take the Rondinax under the stairs, open it up and cut the film with scissors!

Also remember to reduce recommended dev times, usually suggested by 15%, to compensate for the continuous rotation (ie to 85% of advertised times for normal tanks).

Thanks to both of you, much appreciated you will have to post some of your photos up once done. I have some Kentmere in both 400 and 100 ASA to put through the camera so should work (fingers crossed!)

Two things worth noting... it appears Rollei RPX 25 has a polyester base, as do many other Rollei films. This base can be a lot tougher than the normal acetate and I found the guillotine would not cut it. I had to take the Rondinax under the stairs, open it up and cut the film with scissors!

Also remember to reduce recommended dev times, usually suggested by 15%, to compensate for the continuous rotation (ie to 85% of advertised times for normal tanks).
Thanks for letting me know about the Rollei. As I don't have a cupboard under my stairs I guess I'll have to get a changing bag.

So 15% would take it to around 6:45-6:50 I reckon.

I came across several exposed films from the 90's. I'd exposed these when I was in my early twenties but obviously never had them processed. They're all colour apart from 3 Orwo NP-22, which I vaguely remember ordering from one of the camera magazines of the time.

I had a look on Dexter's DX code page and the Agfa, Safeway, Tudor and Ilfocolor films are all made by Agfa (surprise). The two Superdrug films are made by Ferrania. The Konica APS film is unopened.

There are 6 of the Superdrug SnapShop films, 4 Tudor, 7 Kodacolor II, 3 Kodacolor VR, 1 Kodacolor VR 120, 1 Kodacolor 127 and 6 various 110 films.

After I have processed the Orwo, I may try cross processing some of the colour film. I am using Ars-Imago Monobath in a Rondinax. Has anyone used this process before.IMG_20180128_110840.jpg

Last edited:
Not wanting to poo poo the job but using a mono bath on anything is not that common, using it to cross process print film is gonna be even more not that common.
I wouldn't say it was doomed to failure, after all, what is "failure", but most of the print film I've seen processed in b/w chems, let alone a mono bath, have been pretty ropey..:)

TBH I'd send the colour stuff off to FilmDev, give them a little heads up just so they know what theyre dealing with. Like Joxby says colour film in b&w chems is generally not a huge success so I'd want to extract as much detail as I could out of it.

There are places that still process 110 but I cant for the life of remember where I sent my last lot, somebody will drop by sometime soon that will be sure to know.

Back