Anyone used kenko 1.4x TC?

Edit My Images
Yes
Need to buy a 1.4x TC for my 120-300mm f/2.8 but can't stretch my budget more than £80 at the moment for a TC. Has anyone used the kenko Pro version? How does it compare with the Canon and Sigma equivalents?

I dont know how it compares with the other two, but it works great on my 70-200mm vr.
Both auto focus and vr work fine. If there is any loss of image quality, then I can't see it.
Hope that helps.

Optically, the Kenko PRO is pretty much the equal of the other two. I would however aim for a Sigma one on your Sigma lens. The coatings on Sigma's optics are slightly different and my tests (Sigma T/C on a Canon lens) gave a strange colourcast on the images....I expect the same to be true the other way around too.

Bob

I have a Kenko pro TC and use it with no issues on my 80-200

anyone know if it would work with the 50/1.8 and 135/2.8 soft focus? Looks like very good value for money :)

some info i found

Kenko PRO 300 AF 2x Teleconverter are made with high quality multicoated optical glass supplied by Hoya corporation, the worlds largest manufacturer of optical glass. Kenko PRO 300 AF 2x Teleconverter will match the optical quality of the prime lens (even at the edges, unlike many teleconverters on the market today). The optical design of the elements and light path is wide enough not to cause any vignetting.

Kenko PRO 300 AF 2x Teleconverter is designed specifically to be use with telephoto lenses of 100mm or above, and work best with telephoto lenses of 200mm to 500mm. The Kenko PRO 300 AF 2x Teleconverter can be used with telephoto zoom lenses as well as prime lenses, but, due to their design, Kenko does not recommend them for lenses that have a zoom range that starts under 50 mm.

The Same goes for the 1.4x

I use my Kenko PRO 300 x2 with my Sigma 70-200 and haven't noticed any colour changes etc and it appears to work well with my 50/f1.8.

There are compatability issues between the Kenko & the sigma 120 - 300 f2.8. Kenko are aware of the problem and say that there is no fix.
I think is was Messiah Khan who had to ditch his kenko & buy sigma TC as well.

If that is the Sigma 120-300mm HSM then DO NOT BUY KENKO!!!! (Especially if used with a Nikon camera) I bought the 1.4X and 2X for my Sigma 300mm HSM and D40X (And later D300) and had major problems. The camera would work for a few seconds, then it would crash, flashing up power problems. I emailed the distributor of Kenko asking them if there was a solution. They emailed me back saying it was a know about problem with no solution (nice of them to not to advertise that isn't it). So if I was you, get a Sigma TC (Which is what I replaced mine with and they work perfectly fine.)

:)

anyone know if it would work with the 50/1.8 and 135/2.8 soft focus? Looks like very good value for money :)

Should work with the 135/2.8 but the 50mm might be a bit short (The back element might collide with the TC)

Another possible 'warning' about kenko. I bought a 2x for use with a Sigma 70-200 2.8, was on a nikon d70 at the time. It wouldn't autofocus at all. I had to send it back and get a refund in the end.

Nice coffee though. Oh ho! I thank you.

Thanks everybody for the replies.
Hmmm... So I should wait for a litle longer to get the Sigma.
You might be wondering why my budget is so low. Well, I went over my budget for this lens by soooo much, I really can't afford those £80 either, what with the new tripod and head, the £120 UV filter, the Sigma 2x TC and not to mention the lens itself :p
Thanks again everybody!

Better to cut your cloth accordingly, rather than just chuck it on plastic. ;) :clap:
Anyway, you'll apreciate it more if you have to wait for it! :LOL:

Back