Anyone used WEX or MPB to trade in?

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
Now I'm using Nikon Z bodies I'm thinking of selling my 105mm 1.4 and getting the Z 85/1.8s instead. Having had issues selling high value stuff on ebay before I'm thinking of trading in. Just wondered what peoples experiences have been using both these companies for trading in. Do they pay what they quote?

Used mbp in the past no issues at all. Recently got a quote for a lens trade in and wex gave a better trade in price.

Used mbp in the past no issues at all. Recently got a quote for a lens trade in and wex gave a better trade in price.
Yes I've had a quote from both and the mpb quote was 60% of the WEX quote so mph don't look competitive.

I’ve only ever sold to MPB as Wex only offer you credit to spend with them; I already had the replacements so went with MPB instead. They’re good, and honest too, more than once I’ve had price upgraded as I had been too harsh in my description. It’s an easy transaction and I wouldn’t hesitate to go to them again

Yes I've had a quote from both and the mpb quote was 60% of the WEX quote so mph don't look competitive.
I also got a better quote off Jessops. Mpb this time around failed miserably.

I've traded with MPB a few times, sold a lens to them just last week and it worked out better than any of the others because they add in free collection [even for Ireland] and if you do want to trade you get free delivery on what you trade in for too. But it is wise to get quotes from all possibles

I also got a better quote off Jessops. Mpb this time around failed miserably.

I never thought to try Jessops you know. I was thinking of dropping into my local LCE but they don't tend to seem very interested at times in there.

I traded in my Canon 60D and a lens to mpb earlier this week and couldn't be happier. Got a reasonable price and they pay and organise collection of the gear.

FWIW I have sold to Camera Jungle and was happy with the offer price and 'experience'.

Have used WEX quite a few times always a good idea to go into one of the store and haggle a bit. Have always offered better than MPB.

FWIW I have sold to Camera Jungle and was happy with the offer price and 'experience'.

Never sold to them, but I've bought from them a few times to date and the gear has always been top quality. Bought my Fuji 16 1.4 and 50F2 from them recently when they had sales and both honestly arrived boxed, like new, the pouch for the 16mm had never been opened, still had the original seal

you will get a lot more if you sell it privately on here

You would, if you're patient, gear isn't shifting like it used to in classified

I recently did a p/x on a camera body at my local LCE , initial phone call told them what I selling and buying ,they gave me a over the phone price that was acceptable ,took it in and that offer was increased by £80 .. in fact more than the camera owed me in real terms ..
. Not always better to deal with online companies sometimes you need the personal touch

I recently did a p/x on a camera body at my local LCE , initial phone call told them what I selling and buying ,they gave me a over the phone price that was acceptable ,took it in and that offer was increased by £80 .. in fact more than the camera owed me in real terms ..
. Not always better to deal with online companies sometimes you need the personal touch

Wish it was that simple over here. The camera stores here are shockingly bad for pricing, the used gear often as expensive as brand new UK. And they offer pennies for trade ins. I've never been in one where I liked the staff either, and many here feel the same. This is the reason that on used Irish trade sites you can , with patience and allowing for a little leeway, make more on your used gear than on here or trading anywhere in the UK. Many people still don't like to buy or sell online, they prefer the personal touch. I've bought on sales from the UK, used for a bit and sold on at profit over here locally many times.

Wish it was that simple over here. The camera stores here are shockingly bad for pricing, the used gear often as expensive as brand new UK. And they offer pennies for trade ins. I've never been in one where I liked the staff either, and many here feel the same. This is the reason that on used Irish trade sites you can , with patience and allowing for a little leeway, make more on your used gear than on here or trading anywhere in the UK. Many people still don't like to buy or sell online, they prefer the personal touch. I've bought on sales from the UK, used for a bit and sold on at profit over here locally many times.

Is it ever worth hopping on a plane and buying in mainland UK?

I've used MPB many times. Very easy to deal with and you get your quote straight away for standard items. Simple process to get the stuff to them as well. WEX are equally easy to deal with.

When I recently got rid of all my Nikon stuff, I got a quote from Jessops as they had a 20% bonus on trades. Even without the 20% they offered more than the other two. They also price match on trades if their prices fall short. I used them as I could trade in at a real shop rather than boxing and parcelling all the Nikon stuff up.

They just give you low offers. Like if a lens is worth 950 they will offer you like 800 and you will see them advertise it next week for 1050

Used both. MPB used to give good quotes but recently they have been rather bad.
Wex quotes were still rather decent last time I checked.

I also sell to Peter Walnes who is a sole trader and pays by bank transfer i.e. cash. His offers are generally the best I get.

Last edited:
Is it ever worth hopping on a plane and buying in mainland UK?

It actually could be if you were buying a lot of gear - Ryanair cheap flight, Air B+B - get to travel a bit and use the purchased gear on the go. I'm sure there's people do just that often.

It all goes smoothly through WEX if you can give an accurate description, they will organise a courier usually Parcelforce to pick items up.
As pointed out they usually give you a credit note rather than cash but the amount offered is typically a bit higher.
If you are changing systems this might not be a bad way to go.

It actually could be if you were buying a lot of gear - Ryanair cheap flight, Air B+B - get to travel a bit and use the purchased gear on the go. I'm sure there's people do just that often.

Thought it might be, suppose it also depends on the € to £ rate too

They just give you low offers. Like if a lens is worth 950 they will offer you like 800 and you will see them advertise it next week for 1050
They are a business. Businesses are supposed to make money. They guarantee the equipment they sell. Do you?

Just checked prices on a lens and Wex are higher than MPB. I’ve noticed MPB are not as generous as previous.

As said they are a business. Have you never traded in a vehicle?

As said they are a business. Have you never traded in a vehicle?

Hell no, I used make £1000+ profit per car I sold that I used to buy in auctions.

And FYI garages make more money than that per car so don't go thinking im a swindler lol.

They are a business. Businesses are supposed to make money. They guarantee the equipment they sell. Do you?

Good luck with your dealings with MPB, I think they suck and nothing will ever change my mind

Sold with MPB but never Wex. Wex wanted to give me much less than MPB for an RX100M5 so never used Wex again. Plus if you want cash then MPB is your only bet. Ive found MPBs prices to be roughly what they'd sell for on Ebay minus the fees and postage.

I've got a trade in with wex going at the moment. Good quick coms over email and they picked the items up on the date I gave them. Body they offered £40 more than mpb and lens was £30 more. Yes its a credit note with them but at least it will get spent in camera gear rather than swallowed up by bills.

Sounds about right to me, profit on that is £200 as £50 is VAT

A £200 margin on £800 isn't great when you consider they warrant the items they sell and a repair could be 2x that

I went to buy a car at auction once, unless you have an account with them the buyers fees made it the same money as buying private , never been since , I especially liked the catalogue sold to me on yellow paper as a non account holder rather than white so I was identified as a mug to be bid up by the trade , it went straight in the bin

I've used both, although at the time WEX only offered trade in and not cash, not sure if this is still the same? MPB service was excellent.

Sounds about right to me, profit on that is £200 as £50 is VAT

A £200 margin on £800 isn't great when you consider they warrant the items they sell and a repair could be 2x that

It'll be sold under the second hand margin scheme so the VAT should be about £33 with those numbers but otherwise I think you're bang on, they're not making much on that (21% margin?) and have to cover it with a warranty, little reward for a small/moderate risk.

It'd be absolutely pointless for them to buy it for more, anyone questioning their numbers has to consider they also save you time and trouble by not dealing with customers directly.

I have used MPB before, but they declined to buy my Canon lens as it was (unknown to me) a grey import.

I had a very good experience with my local LCE branch last year when I swapped from Canon to Fuji - I walked in with a big bag of Canon kit and walked out shortly after with a smaller back of Fuji kit and some cash in my pocket.

Back