Anyone using a 7D with 100-400 and 2x II Extender Combo??

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Would be interested to know what experience you have with image quality using the Canon 7D with the 100-400 L Zoom fitted with an EF 2x II Extender as opposed to cropping the image to the same size. If you could post a couple of sample images you will have my eternal thanks (no cash equivalent!)

Also, have you got around the autofocus issue (masking the two pins)? Or do you use Live View and manual focus (perhaps with a LCD Loupe)?

Thanks

Andy

Sorry cant answer your question Andy, but when i saw your profile picture, i just have to say you look like Harold who used to be in Neighbours, but a little younger! ;)

article-0-026CCDFC00000578-580_468x594.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry cant answer your question Andy, but when i saw your profile picture, i just have to say you look like Harold who used to be in Neighbours, but a little younger! ;)

Well at least I look a bit younger than him!! I usually get told I look like Mel Smith - unfortunately not enough to be able to make any money out of it!

Now, back to the photography .... ;)

Would be interest to see what people think as I have the same kit and have thought about a converter

I had a 100-400, and I own a 7D. I threw on a 1.4x that my friend owned just to see what it was like. It was okay I guess. Lost autofocus, IQ was reduced by quite a bit, I wouldn't recommend it lets put it that way.

I use 7D & 100-400, no issues good combo but IQ not what I get from a 70-200. Using the 1.4 TC MkIII with the 100-400 I loose all AF and Min f stop is getting smaller on the long side meaning shutter speeds are reduced even at high ISO. In perfect conditions it may be possible to get some still reasonable pix but for me after testing a few times I would not go to any critical shoot using this combo. I know you were after the 2X TC experience but as know one else has chimed in yet I thought I would offer you what I could. The 2X TC will not perform as well as the 1.4 from several pro reviews and conversations I've read/had.

http://tleclair.zenfolio.com/p108111470/SPAMb8f55#SPAMb8f55
at the above link you can see an image taken using the 1.4 +100-400 - EXIF says 510mm

Last edited:
I think I may have tried it on my 40D, just for a laugh.

The 2x TC will convert your 100-400 from a rather nice f4-f5.6 lens to a near-unusable 200-800 f8-f11.

I am using the 550D with the 100-400 and the Kenko 1.4x DGX and retain AF on all points.
When I use it with the 60D and 7D I only retain AF on peripheral points.

In all cases quality is very good when stopped down to f9 and better than shooting at 400mm f5.6 and cropping.

Obviously mileage will vary depending on the sharpness of your 100-400 and quality of the TC.

My 100-400 is VERY sharp even open wide (as sharp as the 400mm f5.6 I had before).

Would not suggest the 2x though to be honest. You will surely lose AF and have to stop to f14 to retain sharpness which in UK weather is practically impossible.

Thanks All for comments, kind of confirmed what I think I already knew. Oh well ....

Better keep saving for that 600mm L Series :crying:

Andy

I think I may have tried it on my 40D, just for a laugh.

The 2x TC will convert your 100-400 from a rather nice f4-f5.6 lens to a near-unusable 200-800 f8-f11.

Crumbs - Mr Hollis and agree on something. :eek:

(That's because he is telling the truth this time. ;))

This bussiness of taping contacts concerns me a little. It would suprise me If Canon had disabled AF above F5.6 just to be difficult.

It is not unusaual for electronic systems to beat themselves to death when asked to function outside their limits. It may be that this is why the camera firmware limits AF to F5.6 or larger.

I second what the others say - I don't have the x2, but the Kenko x1.4 on the 7D, I don't loose AF (although it is no-where near as good) but I do loose IQ and light, butter than cropping but not by a massive amount - that said here are a couple of examples:

Back