Anyone using a laptop for a DAW?

hashcake

Gone to pot!
Name
Darran, Daz or ****
Edit My Images
Yes
Mods: Sorry I wasn't sure if I should have posted this in the out of focus section as it has nothing to do with photography so please move if need be.

I'm thinking about changing from a desktop to a laptop to use as a DAW.
My Steinberg UR22 mkii is fussy with USB ports and it won't run on a USB 3 on my desktop but luckily I have a few USB 2 ports but this might be a problem with a new laptop with only USB 3 ports.
My desktop is an Intel i5-4430 3ghz (not sure which generation it is) with 16GB ram and Cubase Elements along with quite a lot of VSTis runs really well.
There are sellers on ebay who sell refurbished laptops and most will fit 16GB ram as opposed to most manufacturers still only supplying 8GB ram with new laptops.
My reasoning is that a slightly older laptop will have at least 1x USB 2 port.
I would need to use an external hard drive for my VSTis and sample libraries as it's approaching 1TB.

I know various artists use a software based DAW for recording and live performances but they are more than likely using Pro Tools on a top spec Apple laptop.

I use a Dell xps9530. It's a good laptop, but I always want more storage (1tb SSD, 2tb HDD) and it sometimes struggles with thermal load. Does have a USB 2 port though. [emoji6] I bought it for work, otherwise I'd have had a desktop.

I'm not sure if this would work but have you tried using USB2 cables (assuming you are using USB3 cables)?

I am using the USB 2 cable that was supplied with my UR22 mk2

Back