Anyone using a Mac Mini for their photo manipulation?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
Can't afford an iMac yet so may be going for a Mac Mini and wondered if anyone here is using one for their photo's and if it compares well with an equivalent iMac?

Cheers

Andy

Yes I am - and it's a old G4 one - now go buy one (intel that is :)) :D

I have just ordered a 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2Gig ram, Superdrive, 120Gig HD Mac Mini from Apple.........and i can't wait!! :woot::woot::woot: Should be with me in a week's time.

awesome :)

did you remember the keyboard, mouse, monitor and external hd? :)

I have just ordered a 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2Gig ram, Superdrive, 120Gig HD Mac Mini from Apple.........and i can't wait!! :woot::woot::woot: Should be with me in a week's time.

Praise the Lord!
You're gonna be like a dog with two thingies.

awesome :)

did you remember the keyboard, mouse, monitor and external hd? :)

I am getting the Keyboard and mouse in the week as i forgot to order them while ordering the MAC..D'oh! I have a 150Gig external HDD but want to get a bigger one oooh er Mrs!

I already have Samsung 22" 2232BW monitor which is very very good so i will be sorted by the time the Mac gets here. (y)[

It was £537 inc free delivery. I wanted to upgrade to 2Gig of Ram and have the Superdrive (DVD-RW) plus the larger HDD. The cheaper 1.83Ghz model is really good value for money if you just want a std machine. The difference in CPU performance is just 10%. But as a package the 2.0Ghz model suited me.

As you haven't yet pointed out that it's arrived, I guess you have to wait until next week for your new toy?

LOL
Have you not already joined the enlightened side?
Are we going to have to convince you to part with your hard earned aswell?

he won't get it, i'm intercepting the delivery :D

:LOL: It's being delivered to Dorking Police station so we can trace where it's gone i.e you!!

Watching, were always watching!! :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

LOL
Have you not already joined the enlightened side?
Are we going to have to convince you to part with your hard earned aswell?

Oh yeah - I'm enlightened just need an upgrade ;)

:LOL: It's being delivered to Dorking Police station so we can trace where it's gone i.e you!!

Watching, were always watching!! :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

:eek:

Sorry to dredge this up from the depths, but I wanted to ask a similar question.

Just how powerful, for a given value of the word, is a Mac Mini? I'm considering chipping in my all-singing, all-dancing PC for something more streamlined and less expansive and while the specs of the iMac appeal the design doesn't. And there's no way I could afford a Mac Pro nor would I want one.

I'd be needing it to run Lightroom 2, Adobe CS4 Web Premium (Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Flash, Illustrator, Fireworks) and a couple of other pieces of software, but nothing too meaty. Probably just iWork in actual fact.

I think you would be better sticking with your all singing and dancing PC tbh

I think you might very well be right. Looks like I'd need to swap over to the iMac and there's no way I'd want to do that.

I'll stick with my reliable PC for the foreseeable.

I've got an all singing all dancing Intel Mac Mini that I use for HTPC. For that it works beautifully and I've no reason to think it wouldn't perform ok with basic photo editing etc as my PC is only a 2.4 C2D and that zips along just fine and only starts chugging when I'm doing massive pano edits with multiple adjustment layers.

I wouldn't want to do video editing on it but for photo editing I would have thought a MM would be fine?

P.S. I wouldn't swap to one from a faster machine though, as that wouldn't make much sense!

Hmmm. How do you deal with the single internal HD? Do you use the Time Capsule or something along the lines of an external RAID array?

I wouldn't necessarily say my PC is blazingly fast, although it is much quicker than the C2D in the Mini, but I just feel it's wasted on me. I like the simplicity of the Mac Mini and I could still use my current monitor, but I'd be giving up a bit of speed, a fair bit of RAM and lots of HD storage.

I've got an all singing all dancing Intel Mac Mini that I use for HTPC. For that it works beautifully and I've no reason to think it wouldn't perform ok with basic photo editing etc as my PC is only a 2.4 C2D and that zips along just fine and only starts chugging when I'm doing massive pano edits with multiple adjustment layers.

I wouldn't want to do video editing on it but for photo editing I would have thought a MM would be fine?

P.S. I wouldn't swap to one from a faster machine though, as that wouldn't make much sense!

What software do you use as a HTPC? I use boxee which I find very good.

i'd say you should stick with what you have - even although you feel the extra power in your peecee is wasted on you, i get the feeling you'd be disappointed to lose it and certainly notice it.

I think you might have a point there. Always nice to have a fourth and fifth gear if you need them.

I disagree...

Last august i was running a Core 2 duo 2.6ghz with dedicated graphics, 4gb ram, etc etc.

I went out and got the 2ghz mini, upped the ram to 2.5gb, and i have a couple of external drives connected to it.

I have absolutely no problems running:

Photoshop and Bridge CS4 for post processing in camera raw
Premiere and Encore CS4 for Video Editing
Dreamweaver CS4 for Web Design

and a host of other less demanding programs.

I will admit it may take marginally longer to render a large image in photoshop, but not so long as i feel its a problem.

The OS is rock solid, and it has never crashed on me

For the odd piece of windows software i run parallels in the background so i can launch windows programs on my mac desktop.

What you have to remember is windows is so badly written, that a PC needs much more speed than a Mac, because the OS is very resource hungry.

I disagree...

Last august i was running a Core 2 duo 2.6ghz with dedicated graphics, 4gb ram, etc etc.

I went out and got the 2ghz mini, upped the ram to 2.5gb, and i have a couple of external drives connected to it.

I have absolutely no problems running:

Photoshop and Bridge CS4 for post processing in camera raw
Premiere and Encore CS4 for Video Editing
Dreamweaver CS4 for Web Design

and a host of other less demanding programs.

I will admit it may take marginally longer to render a large image in photoshop, but not so long as i feel its a problem.

The OS is rock solid, and it has never crashed on me

For the odd piece of windows software i run parallels in the background so i can launch windows programs on my mac desktop.

What you have to remember is windows is so badly written, that a PC needs much more speed than a Mac, because the OS is very resource hungry.

This is true but he already has the PC that does everything he needs it too so why spend out on the MAC that won't give him any additional benefit and if anything will be marginally slower?

This is true but he already has the PC that does everything he needs it too so why spend out on the MAC that won't give him any additional benefit and if anything will be marginally slower?

The benefit is a stable OS

Marginally slower is as you say "marginal" and therefore probably not even a worry.

The benefit of stability far outweighs and minor drop in performance IMO

but he says his PC is perfectly reliable so there is no need on the reliability basis

Back