Anyone using the battery grip on the 20D?

dod

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ebenezer McScrooge III
Edit My Images
Yes
If so, just wondering if you find it improves the handling? I've felt from day one that the 20 is just a touch small.

Very much so. The battery grip never comes off my 20D, and I like a weighty, chunky camera anyway. :)

The additional shutter button is very handy in portrait orientation too, particularly using heavy lenses.

I must be a freak of nature.

I have a 350D and while I can see it's small, it's not overly so, and it's not uncomfortable. I would like a battery grip so I have a bit more meat in my hands, but I wouldn't say that's too small.
And after getting my grips round Steve's 20D last night I can certainly tell the difference, and wouldn't ever say that's too small for me.

And I'm 6'4 and have a fair sized pair of shovels. :D

Steve's 20D is to small and requires the addition of the battery grip however there are still some concerns about them being manufactured well and not flexing with the added weight of larger lenses.

Marcel, you are using a small camera with a small lens both in terms of length and weight, add a large lens and use it for an extended period of time and you will change your mind.

Can't get used to you as Marcel :p

It's not TOO small, it's just that it is smaller than the 10D I was used too and I can tell the difference :) Tie that up with the price I saw the grip at from the shop in your thread and it started me thinking :whistling

dod said:
Can't get used to you as Marcel :p

It's not TOO small, it's just that it is smaller than the 10D I was used too and I can tell the difference :) Tie that up with the price I saw the grip at from the shop in your thread and it started me thinking :whistling

If you can check serial numbers then allegedly you can get one of the later versions which look identical but have extra internal strengthening to reduce/stop the flexing and loss of contact. If not then try to ensure that you have one of the latest batches.

Buying the grip from overseas may not be the best idea as changing it could prove tricky.

good point Steve :(

emailed them to see what the story is, I'll let you know :)

No issues with mine I'm happy to say. :icon_cool

where did you buy yours CT?

dod said:
where did you buy yours CT?

7dayshop IIRC, but it might have been Warehouse Express (can't find the receipt at the moment) The grip is very well made and solid IMO. If it has a fault it's that when you tighten up the knurled knob to lock the grip onto the camera, it stops very suddenly and that last turn which you expect to be able to make to tighten it isn't there. In practice you just have to give it some beans and make sure it's tightened as far as it will go. :)

The problems that I have read about are mostly related to the grip flexing and losing contact with the camera, thus the camera switching off.

When the 20D was brought in as a replacement to the 10D the battery grip was redesigned as the 20D is smaller and so the grip had to marry up. Canon moved the retaining screws (not the one that screws from the grip into the camera) closer to the centre of the new grip and this allowed some extra flex that was not apparent in the 10D’s grip.

The screw that attaches the grip to the camera also has been reported to work lose, the problem with that is as CT has stated in that it doesn’t do it slowly, its either tight or lose and gives no warning in between. Obviously that again adds to the flex problem and inevitably the camera and grip losing contact resulting in the camera losing power.

There are also reports of this new grip not giving correct readings for the remaining battery power. These reports are a lot fewer than for the flex problem but there are still enough for it to indicate it to be a real issue and not something that just one batch was suffering from. Obviously all you need to do is carry extra batteries (which most of us do anyway) but why Canon managed to mess up such a simple product that was previously almost perfect is still a mystery.

Ref Canon and the problem..last time I checked Canon UK had not acknowledged the issues yet Canon USA had. They issued an upgrade/modification/repair that basically placed two washers on the inside of the grip to spread the weight and reduce the flexing. I also believe that this modification has now been included at the production stage so getting a latest batch grip should be better if not perfect.

As to the battery problem, I have not managed to get any definitive answer.

Hope that helps?

Thanks.

7 day shop £119 out of stock
warehouse £149 in stock

I can wait ;)

I just got one from Jessops, £149. I thought about 7day but wanted to be able to return to shop if a problem. However, so far so good and does everytrhing it says on the tin (fingers crossed). To me it now seems to make the camera "complete" - as if there was something missing before - the weight, balance and handling is certainly better for me.

regards

stepheno said:
I just got one from Jessops, £149. I thought about 7day but wanted to be able to return to shop if a problem. However, so far so good and does everytrhing it says on the tin (fingers crossed). To me it now seems to make the camera "complete" - as if there was something missing before - the weight, balance and handling is certainly better for me.

regards

That's great news,from that post it looks like it's time for me to look at grips again :)

they're back in stock at 7day,

The good news is Jessops price matched to £132, not that much more than 7day when you take delivery into account. It does feel better :)

Damn, so you have gone and bought one now :(

How are you finding it, any flex?

Literally only got it 30 minutes ago Steve, chucked it on and took a couple of shots just to make sure all was well. I tried flexing it but didn't lose contact so I'm assuming for now it's okay. I'll give it a proper test over the next week, the wife's got the Endurance Championships starting on thursday

Ive had mine a while now, its only twice stopped the camera working and both times the locking nut had worked loose a little ! camera didnt swithc off it just locked up display stayed on etc, all i had to do was drop both batts out, do the nut back up again and put the batts back in ! all fine ! :)

If it's no worse than that I can live with it, I've had lock ups without the grip anyway, usually in very warm environments.

If it is a problem though the reassurance that I can dump it on the counter and make a fuss until it gets sorted out was the clincher.

dod said:
If it's no worse than that I can live with it, I've had lock ups without the grip anyway, usually in very warm environments.

Is all thats happened with mine, and mines been on planes to and from USA on boats dragged round zoos,airshows etc,

dod said:
If it is a problem though the reassurance that I can dump it on the counter and make a fuss until it gets sorted out was the clincher.

Yeah thats an important consideration !

Well, mixed feelings about it, yes it provides a vertical shutter release and it will give more shooting capacity but I really don't find it that comfortable to use. Kind of squarish and cumbersome whereas the camera itself is rounded, makes a nice camera really ugly, the position of the viewfinder just feels wrong with the grip attached.

Hopefully it's just a case of me needing to adjust to it (thousands of other users can't be wrong :p ), never used a grip before, otherwise it's coming off. :(

dod said:
Well, mixed feelings about it, yes it provides a vertical shutter release and it will give more shooting capacity but I really don't find it that comfortable to use. Kind of squarish and cumbersome whereas the camera itself is rounded, makes a nice camera really ugly, the position of the viewfinder just feels wrong with the grip attached.

Hopefully it's just a case of me needing to adjust to it (thousands of other users can't be wrong :p ), never used a grip before, otherwise it's coming off. :(

I hope its just a case of adjusting to it dod for your sake, if you don't adjust and decide to sell, please give me first refusal.

Back