Anything I should take to Australia

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

Going to Australia next week, and I wondered if there was any sorts of filters or anything which would improve the shots which I should purchase first for my camera.

Shooting with a 450d, with the 17-85 (no filters) and the 55-250 (UV filter on at the moment).

I dont know anything about them, but wondered if the bright sunlight might make shooting more tricky,

Thanks in advance,

Dave,
Think about getting a polarizing filter as the glare on the coasts can be pretty strong. The polarizer will also help you keep the fabulous blue skies.
Don't forget it is winter there and last weekend Canberra was minus 8 on the Saturday.

David

dont tell me that.....!!!! I was looking at reasonably forecasts yesterday - heading from Brisbane to Cairns then down to Sydney so hoping its not too cold.

Any particular polarising one you would recommend?

Circular polarising filters in the right diameter for your lenses, good ones. But you don't need to spend a fortune. Some nd filters might be a good idea too.

As for the weather brissie might be a bit hit and miss this time f year, sydney might be a bit grim but should be ok and cairns is literally a sub tropical climate so that should be fine all year round. In fact winter might be a good time to go unless you like temps of over 100 degrees and humidit of 90%+ every day.

Make the most of being in Cairns, it's a pretty unique area where you can be taking in some street portraiture, shots of snowboarders in the mountains, kangaroos skipping through the rainforest and sharks swimming by as the sun sets over the great barrier reef. All in the same day.

And then wind up your night knocking back a few schooners of VB in The Courthouse Cairns, a fine watering hole that i can highly recommend ;)

And don't forget to pack your drinking legs.

Although i guess you might be out for a different experience than those i had in Aus.

I went to Sydney and Melbourne, there is a lot of landscape and architectual interest. The weather when I was there was terrible, but I have heard they are having quite a 'warm' winter (25degrees and sunny in Sydney the other day).

I went there with just a Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 and I wish I had something a little wider.
Definitely take a circular polariser, and maybe a monopod / tripod for some long exposure night shots.

Have fun

dont tell me that.....!!!! I was looking at reasonably forecasts yesterday - heading from Brisbane to Cairns then down to Sydney so hoping its not too cold.

Any particular polarising one you would recommend?

Brisbane to Cairns should be better, but it was getting cold in sydney when I was there in May.

Personally I wouldn't bother with any filters.

Weather-wise Melbourne will be about the same as us in February i'd think. So it won't be anything too special but it won't necessarily be grim either. Lots of nice architecture and interesting buildings in Melbourne, some interesting street art and statues etc too.

Sydney should be better and warmer than Melbourne but again there's no guarantees. There's all the obvious stuff in Sydney and lots off the beaten track too. If the weather is ok then i'd more than recommend doing the walk over the coathanger (Sydney Harbour Bridge).

Cairns should be warm all year around, even this time of year it'll be mid-twenties to low thirties most days. In and around Cairns there's about every kind of ecosystem you could ask for, coast. ocean, mountains and rainforest all within an hour or so of Cairns itself. Very touristy but the skyrail ride over the Kuranda Rainforest is well worth doing.

Enjoy your journey, and i would definitely take a circular polariser if nothing else.

thanks for all the responses, I will be getting myself a circular polariser as this seems pretty popular advice. Fly on Monday, and hope to come back with some nice shots!

Back