Anyway of saving this?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, at a wedding yesterday and my d700 with my sigma 70-200 f2.8 took a nose dive from a tripod.

Camera is fine but the lens and lens hood took the damage. IMG_20210910_161757.jpg
IMG_20210910_161810.jpgIMG_20210910_161742.jpg

I've reattached the ribbon, and it's still shoots. Photos look good, everything works okay but with the broken plastic there it's obvious not staying attached.

anyone had similar and had it fixed?

Can't get in touch with the insurance until Monday. Camera repair shops are closed until Monday. I've another wedding Thursday. 10+ years and never had an accident like this before

Ouch! Sigma are pretty good - I'm sure they'll be able to fix it very easily for you. I'd expect a bill of a couple of hundred quid at least. A lot cheaper than a new lens either way. :)

I feel your pain.

I don't know how much these cost on the used market but it might be worth having a look to compare to any repair price, but I suppose getting your lens repaired could have an advantage compared to the unknown quantity that a used lens may be.

Hope you get it sorted, one way or another.

As @woof woof says, compare the cost of repair with the cost of second hand replacement.
However a repair will come complete with a guarantee, and can be sent back for adjustment if not satisfactory in any way.

Yeah id prefer a repair purely because I've had it since new and it's mint. Gets used 6 or 7 times a year, 3 to 5 of which will be weddings.

I bought the camera in 2010 for just under 700. Still have all the receipts etc. Second hand prices from a shop seen to be around the 500 mark.

If I could gets the replacement plastic my father in law could repair it as he repairs clocks and watches so had all the tools needed to work on lenses. It's just impossible to find the parts so will have to go off I think.

Last edited:
When I have dropped the odd Pentax lens the mount repair/replacement has been surprisingly inexpensive <£100. Worth checking Sigma out, hope you get it fixed.

Well, I heard back from Sigma the same day, just advised that the lens is no longer supported due to it's age.

Just waiting to hear from the insurance.

I could likely repair it myself, the ribbon just attaches normally and the 2 parts could likely be glued together and held with black duct tape.

I'd be worried about weight on the joint though, so could potentially make a metal bracket to hold both parts together and clamp it under the ring to attach it to a tripod.

You could do that but would you trust it? What if you were just going to take a picture you really wanted to take and it let you down?

Or, it could be brought back to life and work for years.

You'll have to have a serious think.

You could do that but would you trust it? What if you were just going to take a picture you really wanted to take and it let you down?

Or, it could be brought back to life and work for years.

You'll have to have a serious think.

From a professional point of view I'll be replacing with new, just have to absorb the extra £500 difference between what the insurance is likely to pay out vs the newer Sigma 70-200 2.8 that's out.

For a personal hobbyist walking around lens, it likely wouldn't bother me too much.

Perhaps you could contact 21cameraparts as they list lots of bits and pieces !

thanks, I'll have a look as it's just the body that needs replacing, the lens itself is fine and still takes good photos

I'd go for it then. If you can do a good repair you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you've saved it from the bin.

Back