Apache Gunship

a few weeks ago i was driving down the m62 towards Manchester. when one lifted up from behind the bushes on the other side of the motorway i didnt realise that it was barton airfield on the otherside of them
it was hovering above my car then slowly flew down the motorway before moving off to the left
any idea what it was doing at barton

Great shot Lynton. Looks like the lens you had was ideal.

Cheers mate. (y)

Bit that really impresses me about this is that they work out the time of flight for the missile to the target and time the launches between all the apaches accordingly. In principle, the first the enemy would know about the presence of the apaches is when 30+ of their tanks simultaneously explode..

I like the pic - is this with a sigma 50-150? Looks like a wee bit of chromatic aberration in it though. If you have lightroom it'll clean up nicely using the red/cyan correction slider.

Scary beasts arn't they.... I assume some rigourous beta-testisg of the software.... :LOL:

Yep siggy EX 50-150. Yeah I noticed the CA when zooming in - i'll have a play with it sometime....

a few weeks ago i was driving down the m62 towards Manchester. when one lifted up from behind the bushes on the other side of the motorway i didnt realise that it was barton airfield on the otherside of them
it was hovering above my car then slowly flew down the motorway before moving off to the left
any idea what it was doing at barton

nope. Used to get regularly "attacked" by A10 tankbusters on way to uni and back across the fens. The bonuses of a bright yellow car.

At Barton probably toilet stop?
I've heard Barton's closing???

I enjoy photographing old wartime airfields, and I see the Wattisham Apaches regularly in Essex & Suffolk. They must be training very hard. I took this snap at the former RAF Rivenhall in Essex a few weeks ago as it flew slowly over the site of the old control tower. It was lurking in the distance for some 15 or 20 minutes, at one point vanishing below the tree line and I am sure, if I did not know better, ducking under a line of high tension cables before disappearing back in the direction of Wattisham. Sadly only had a wide angle lens on the camera, as I was landscape togging, so just a snap!

DSC_0213_650.jpg

They train for 20 or so minutes once or twice a week at North Weald Airfield. I live a mile or so away, and my house is directly beneath their flightpath as they come and go.

What a beast of a machine. I think it must be great fun flying these things.

What the dome on the top ? Some sort of radar ?

Hi all....

this one was taken over North Weald. They are awesome unlike this shot of it.

Graham.

I was driving through the lake district in the summer and went round a corner to find one of these coming straight at me at tree top height.

Not good for the nerves.

Probably the same day that i was there Rob.

Kev.

i think it must be kev.i think there was a civi heli working so air space was resricted.i was at the bwlch with an old boy called vic and a scot down on holiday

What a beast of a machine. I think it must be great fun flying these things.

What the dome on the top ? Some sort of radar ?

indeed simon, the dome on top is the radar, an apache is only a longbow when it has one of these on

Back