Aperture 2 export hiccups..

Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone having any issues with Aperture 2 Trial?

Yesterday I went for a drive with the Suzuki Swift Owners Club (great fun) and took a few photos, more snaps than anything else because we didnt stop for long anywhere to get anything better, but i got home and quickly uploaded them into Aperture and "poorly" processed a few and exported them as "50% jpegs" and uploaded... whilst making the thread with them in I noticed a couple had weird, well, problems...

These are all kinda big 1mb'ish

Notice the odd line in the blown sky...
Image 1 Export 1
Image 2 Export 1

Pulled the Exposure and recovery slides a little leftwards and re-exported to give...
Image 1 Export 2
Image 2 Export 2

Some weird crop/scale/resizing happened here...
Image 3 Export 1
Image 4 Export 1
Image 5 Export 1

Changed NOTHING, just re-exported and bang...
Image 3 Export 2
Image 4 Export 2
Image 5 Export 2

Has anyone got any ideas whats happened here, i know these are poor photos, but, ignoring that fact why the hiccups, its seriously put me off buying Aperture 2 just yet. Also I did 27 as a batch export job, and 22 have no similar issues, so i dont think its like i pressed the wrong button somewhere along the line or they would all have been equally odd.

Suppose i should add more info, all the IMG*** shots were taken RAW on a Canon 5D+24-70f2.8, the KX7G**** shot (The Robin) was taken with a 1dmkII+1.4xTC+300f2.8IS. They were processed using Aperture 2.0 Trial on my Macpro 8x 2.8ghz /2gbRam / 8800GT

I have to say that's a bit odd. I've processed about 300 shots from a shoot on Saturday, and exported 130 or so from those and didn't have any problems that I know of. Will go back and check them though.

Pete

Thats what im afraid of really... ive looked at the Official Apple Aperture forums (where the Whiners Hang out) and folk seem to be complaining about speed and Loupe Corruption but no-one seems to have the same issue as im getting... :confused:

I will have a play and see if i can re-create the fault reliably so i can then maybe upload a RAW file for you to have a play with, that could rule out a corrupt installation at least.

Well I just had a quick look and can't see any problems with any of the files I've exported. Have you opened the RAW file in anything else to check the files?

Yup, checked them in Aperture 1.5 and Lightroom and they seem fine... Also loaded them with CS3 and again no issues.

Ok dokey, can i ask someone to try this for me...

Download this (12mb)

Import into Aperture 2 and then set the erm.. Settings to this...
Aperture2set.tiff

Then export it and see if you too get the ODD sky artifact, if you do then i can bug-report it too Apple...
Please be aware ive pushed the settings to max to try and emphasize the issue, im not in a habit of using those kind of settings. ;) But even so nothing ive done should create such a weird output anyway.

Just tried it Darryn. Yup I get the same problem on exporting the images. I've tried a few combinations of export and all the same. I haven't seen this with any of my files, but then I'm using a D3 and I suspect they really tested the conversion of those nef's to death due to the backlash over no support in 1.5. But it looks like a bug processing Canon RAW files to me :(

Pete

Im using 10.5.2 which i think is Leopard...

As for the other issue with the weird cropping, ive not been able to recreate that, which is a wory, at least its like a 50% crop and rescale so its quite easy to spot... Ive just had a thought, i was using the ApertureToFTPPro plugin to export straight to my website when i had those initial shots, so prehaps the plugin isnt fully compatible with Aperture 2 just yet... maybe... Scratch that idea, the ApertureToFTP pro stats its compatible with 1.5 or newer...

I just have the vanilla Aperture2 with no plugins etc so it couldn't be that anyway mate.

Im fairly happy now, ive found This thread on the Aperture forums, which is someone else who is having the exact same issue. :)

I just hope Apple pull there finger out and put out a fix.

I'm still running tiger OS, so thought I may get a different result to you. To begin with I did. I had no banding, but I only exported 800x800 size. At full size the same problem. I'm a bit concerned as I normally just made adjustments to my photos then FTP the versions to my agency each night. I never check them, I just assume what I saw on the screen is what they will get.

Aperture 2.1 seems to have resolved some export problems. But I've noticed, that if you export an image with metadata at 300dpi (jpg), it will export at 72dpi. Without metadata, the dpi, is the same as you specify.

Back