Aperture 2 or Adobe Lightroom?

Name
George
Edit My Images
Yes
I had never heard of Lightroom before here...

I used to use iPhoto, then moved up to Aperture but is it better to use Lightroom or Aperture? What do you all use?

(I searched for an answer, but all seemed to relate back to Aperture 1)

It has been discussed a few times, I use Lightroom 2, but then I used Lightroom 1 before that and preferred the workflow. When Lightroom 2 came out I tried the free 30 day trials of both Lightroom 2 and Aperture 2 and preferred Lightroom.

However, if you're coming from an iPhoto/Aperture background you will probably get on with Aperture better. Download the Lightroom 30 day trial from the Adobe website.

Are you finding Aperture is restricting you in any way? Both will produce similar quality images it is just the workflow that is slightly different.

Well, I have Photoshop CS4 that I use for proper editing, and I assumed that Lightroom would integrate better with this.

Plus I don't like how Aperture hides the files in databases when you want to view them from a Windows PC...

Down to your personal preference to be honest, download a trial and see what you like.

I personally use Lightroom 2 on my Mac, prefer the integration with CS4.

I downloaded LR2 and I am impressed with it actually, although I am used to the keyboard shortcuts of Aperture, Lightroom just seems more stable and flows much better.

What is its organisational skills like for photos?

Personally, I thought Aperture to be pretty awful. Failed to see how Apple could release something like that.

I started with Lightroom 1; when it no longer supported my newer cameras I moved to Aperture. Kept it for a very short while before I sold it and moved on to Lightroom 2. Been very happy with it, always have.

But this is my personal taste; on the flip-side of all what I've said, Aperture is loved by many.

So, as has been said in earlier posts; why not just download both and give them a try. Both have 30 day trial.

I recommend watching these videos on the Adobe website to learn all the basics for Lightroom 2. It definitely helped me out :)

I still can't decide, each has their own advantages. Lightroom is a bit fiddly for me as an organisational tool and for me Aperture blows it away in this respect. However, for editing without the use of Photoshop, I think Lightroom has the edge, plus the presets in LR are excellent, yet Aperture has none. I don't like the clone tool in LR, yet find it extremely easy and effective in Aperture, plus Aperture allows you to view the photo in a large format, whereas LR and their 'full screen' is anything but.

At the moment I use Lightroom as I just feel that the final product is a tad better than what I get from Aperture.

Well, I have Photoshop CS4 that I use for proper editing, and I assumed that Lightroom would integrate better with this.

Plus I don't like how Aperture hides the files in databases when you want to view them from a Windows PC...

Adobe intend that Photoshop and Lightroom be used together. Or so they say. I use Lightroom for 99% of my work and Photoshop for additional editing. It really depends what you want to do and how you intend to use it. Lightroom is an electronic darkroom and enhances your photos (as well as cataloging them) whereas Photoshop is a graphics manipulation program.

Sorry to crash the thread but seeing how you all seem to know your beans... is there a way of getting Lightroom to import to named folders rather than just dated ones?

Yes. If you go to "import" and select a folder with photos in it - you then click on "import all photos in selected folder" on the bottom right of the splash screen. Is this what you mean?

edit: actually - ignore me, that's not what you meant.

My suggestion would be to select the folder you want them to go into in the copy/move to selection, then in the organise section choose organise into one folder.

Back