aperture 3 bugs list

heres some from me

every now and again it screws up rendering an image
IMG_0859.jpg

watermarks dont scale properly
mcl.jpg

imports RAW using aperture 3 settings, and then tells you some of the raws need reprocessing because they were rendered in aperture 2 (even though you never imported them to aperture 2 ever)

renders some thumbnails and previews as a completely distorted image

cant find watermarks previously used in aperture 2

crashes a lot

list the bugs you find in craperture 3 here

I started downloading the 30 day trial to run over my copy A2.

It was a huge download (as you might expect for such a huge piece of software) so, whilst it was churning away I started reading a few reviews of it. people were making so many negative comments about it and they had so many tales of it screwing their library that I stopped the download and I've decided to either wait a while or to migrate to Lightroom 3.

So this is the list you can't be bothered to report to Apple but you'll happily slag them off and post your findings here?

So this is the list you can't be bothered to report to Apple but you'll happily slag them off and post your findings here?

when the list is finished i might send it to them with the request for a refund

I'm not sure why you keep taking this so personally. Its shoddy software and its the third time they have tried to get it right, why be so defensive?

I'm not taking it personally at all. I just think it's pretty pathetic for people to bitch and moan without letting the subject in question know. If Apple don't get bug reports they can't fix them. You seem to be taking this as some personal quest to go after Apple because you failed to do your own due diligence checks to make sure it was suitable for your needs.

its simple.. i dont like forking out money for things that arent fit for purpose.

and they should have plenty of bug reports. I press the report button every time the piece of junk crashes.

its simple.. i dont like forking out money for things that arent fit for purpose.

Then why did you not use the rial to evaluate it? And why did you not back up your Aperture library so you could go back to Ap2 without an issue?

I backed up my library, then installed the trial and imported my A2 library. I've since received my full copy but didn't need it to try it out. I've had a couple of crashes, the watermarks haven't worked properly since, but that's about it so far. However I still have the fallback of A2 which I am running along side. Any important work can still be done in A2 and then imported into A3 should I wish. Yep there's a couple of problems with A3, but it doesn't stop me getting the job done in the software I've been using for the last couple of years.

Pete

people have been having witchhunts with microsoft software for years, if apple make a pup, why not have at that?

People spend way to long worshipping at the alter of turtlenecks, me included (iphone.imac) but if something is substandard then why not let people know. Shout about it and it will get fixed, accept and it wont.

And who says the witchhunts on Microsoft were right?

There's no worship going on, I just think it's wrong that Gary seems so angry at Apple because he made a mistake adopting something too early. Apple didn't hold a gun to his head and force him to upgrade.

And who says the witchhunts on Microsoft were right?

There's no worship going on, I just think it's wrong that Gary seems so angry at Apple because he made a mistake adopting something too early. Apple didn't hold a gun to his head and force him to upgrade.

Let me guess, you are riding around on a horse waiting for cars to go through their development phase.

Let me guess, you are riding around on a horse waiting for cars to go through their development phase.

Nope, but then I didn't go out and buy the first electric car available because the manufacturer told me it was better for my needs either.

early adoptors for hifi gear put up with duff stuff, but software should be sold working properly or at least with very very few bugs. beta testing is there for a reason. Yes Gary is a plum for buying without trying, but you dont try to see if there are bugs, you try to see if you like it!

Well, I'm, a massive fan so far, despite the bugs. So much so that I've now ditched Lightroom and gone back to Aperture (Now I'm hoping the final LR3 release doesn't make me switch yet again!).

Bugs
Takes FAR too long to export to desktop.
Has a tendency to lock up resulting in a force quit for no particular reason
Export to MobileMe fails if you have two files with the same name
Not a bug as such but to not be able to put a simple text watermark on when exporting is a huge pain.

I can live with these though, Lightroom was just as bad if not worse for hanging and having to force quit. My main reason for using LR were the adjustment brushes, although Aperture's dodge brush doesn't clean up a white background evenly, the rest of the new tools are excellent. It will be interesting to see what the final release of LR gives us in a few weeks.

early adoptors for hifi gear put up with duff stuff, but software should be sold working properly or at least with very very few bugs.

Why is Hifi different to software in that respect? Why is it acceptable to buy a hifi that doesn't work properly but not software? :shrug:

Why is Hifi different to software in that respect? Why is it acceptable to buy a hifi that doesn't work properly but not software? :shrug:

dvd and bluray early adopters and hifi have always had expensive stuff thats cutting edge but nearly always flawed, either in lack of features or in operational speed, but there are always people who buy with no problem at all for the collectors aspect as well as bragging rights.

Software is different as some folk use it as a tool, you dont expect it to have bugs when its on retail release. Open source software often goes gold with less bugs than retail

dvd and bluray early adopters and hifi have always had expensive stuff thats cutting edge but nearly always flawed, either in lack of features or in operational speed, but there are always people who buy with no problem at all for the collectors aspect as well as bragging rights.

Software is different as some folk use it as a tool, you dont expect it to have bugs when its on retail release. Open source software often goes gold with less bugs than retail

I have to argree. The whole point of beta testing is to find and hopefully fix any bugs, if your going to get joe public to fork out his hard earned, you should have have a properly working product, if I'm going to be testing something I'm dammed if I'm going to pay for the privilage of trying to fix it first.

This is the joy of living life at the bleeding edge, it's always going to contain bugs. This has been true for pretty much every piece of software released.
People raved about how stable Windows XP was compared to Vista, but XP was on it's second service pack when that came out and wasn't that much better in the beginning.

The complexity of modern software is huge and testing everything, even with massive beta programs (which I appreciate Apple don't have due to their secrecy obsession), just isn't possible. Consider the number of combinations of mac hardware, OS versions, cameras, software installations etc... You just can't replicate all of those in the lab.

I've looked at the trial of Aperture 3 and decided it wasn't good enough. I'm back on 2.1.4 now and will probably stay there until the second or third update before looking at switching again.

The problem which is bugging me is that I can't get decent prints out of Aperture 3; they are far,far too dark. The same pics are just fine via Lightroom, and via Aperture 2 on my MacBook, but with Ap 3 I can't do anything useful. I've cancelled black point comp, and increased brightness from the "more options' extra window in the print driver, but to no useful effect.
I have told Apple, and they are 'referring it"!

i can understand some windoze apps not working well as the spread of hardware compatibility must be very complex, but apple is much more closed, im surprised theyve let buggy stuff come out.

I received Aperture 3 this afternoon and had a play with some basic editing, Importing and Exporting and creating folders and also that cool map pin thingy. Really enjoyed my afternoon/Evening with it, Found the Importing and Exporting super fast compared to my old windows laptop and Elements7. Bit dismayed to read so many negatives but for what i'm doing it seems bloody great. Really enjoying the Imac experience too.

3.0.1 is out now, with a whole list of things they claim it fixes.

3.0.1 is out now, with a whole list of things they claim it fixes.

Should call it aperture 4 now lol

fixes:

Products Affected
Aperture 3.x
Resolution
For more information about the application, please visit www.apple.com/aperture .

Aperture 3.0.1 Release Notes
This update improves overall stability and addresses a number of issues in Aperture 3, including:

Upgrading libraries from earlier versions of Aperture
Importing libraries from iPhoto
Importing photos directly from a camera
Memory usage when processing heavily-retouched photos
Face recognition processing
Adding undetected faces using the Add Missing Face button
*Printing pages containing multiple images
*Printing photos and contact sheets with borders and metadata
Editing photos using an external editor
Display of images with Definition and Straighten adjustments applied
Zooming photos in the Viewer and in the Loupe using keyboard shortcuts
Accessing Aperture libraries on a network volume
Selecting and moving pins on the Places map
Adding and editing custom locations using the Manage My Places window
Switching between masters when working with RAW+JPEG pairs

Installation options

Automatic Software Update

Choose Software Update from the Apple () menu to check for the latest Apple software.
Standalone Installer

Apple Downloads*offers a standalone installer that you can use instead, if you wish.

Installation

Fixes an issue that could cause Aperture to quit unexpectedly when entering the product serial number on a 64-bit system.
Faces

Fixes an issue that could cause additional face recognition processing to run after adjusting newly-imported photos.
Addresses an issue that sometimes prevented faces added using the Add Missing Face button to appear in the Faces view.

Places

Reduces excessive scrolling in Browser filmstrip when selecting and moving pins on the Places map.
Fixes an issue that prevented users from adding a new place in the Manage My Places window.
Corrects text in the Manage My Places window.
Fixes an issue that caused Full Keyboard Access options to work incorrectly in the Manage My Places window when tabbing through fields.
Corrects an issue that sometimes caused the Show Labels option for maps in Satellite view to become inaccessible in the Project Info window.

Image Adjustments

Addresses an issue that prevented the Viewer from refreshing after using an External Editor.
Restores the “Edit a Copy with” command to contextual menus.
Fixes an issue that could cause the Adjustment Presets window to become disabled after creating multiple Adjustment Preset groups in succession.
Rendering of Straighten adjustment on images is now correctly displayed on the preview.
Fixes an issue that caused versions to be incorrectly named when created.
Addresses an issue that caused layered TIFFs to be flattened unnecessarily when exported again to an external editor.

Printing

Corrects an issue in the Print dialog that caused metadata to overlay the image preview.
Fixes an issue that caused borders to display incorrectly in the Print dialog.
Addresses a print preset issue that could cause an incorrect number of images to print on contact sheet pages.
Improves stability when printing multiple copies of a photo on a single page.
Watermarks now positioned correctly when images are printed using the "Crop to Fill" option.

Import

Fixes issues that could cause the application to quit unexpectedly when importing an iPhoto library.
Externally-edited images from iPhoto are now correctly imported during an iPhoto import.
Addresses an issue that caused Aperture to miscalculate the amount of hard drive space needed to import an iPhoto library.
Fixes an issue that caused existing images on a camera or memory card to be downloaded during a tethering session.
On Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard, importing directly from a camera now displays the correct number of images to be imported.

Export

Now correctly prevents CMYK* profiles from being selectable when performing a JPEG export.

Audio Attachments

Renaming master now correctly works with audio attachments.
Audio attachments now remain linked to photos that are edited using an external editor.

Apple TV compatibility

Addresses an issue that improves the reliability of syncing updated albums with AppleTV.
Slideshows exported from Aperture now sync to and playback correctly on AppleTV.

RAW+JPEG

Viewer now correctly updates when switching between RAW+JPEG pairs.
Addresses an issue that reduced the effectiveness of face detection on RAW+JPEG images.

Search

Fixes an issue that caused the Stack pick's only option to be ignored on queries of multiple albums.

General

Addresses issues that could cause the application to stop responding when upgrading libraries from earlier versions of Aperture.
Addresses an issue that prevented offline master images from upgrading correctly.
Fixes an issue that could cause Aperture to quit unexpectedly during a library rebuild.
Fixes an issue that caused incorrect tooltip text to be displayed when using Audio Adjustments in a slideshow.
Fixes an issue that caused the activity window to display the wrong number of versions being emptied from the Aperture Trash.
Fixes an issue that sometimes caused Aperture to ignore ‘Do not show this message again” options.
Video transport controls are now properly hidden or displayed when switching between Viewer-only and Browser-only modes.
Improves stability when ordering prints from Apple.
Addresses an issue that could cause the application to quit unexpectedly when entering Full Screen mode.
Fixes an issue with scrolling in All Projects view.
Loupe now updates correctly when using "Command +" or "Command -" to change zoom level.
Addresses an issue that could prevent photos from an Aperture library from appearing in the iLife Media Browser.
Fixes an issue that could cause Aperture to miscalculate the amount of hard drive space needed for a Vault.
A note on upgrading your Aperture library

If you are upgrading your Aperture library from an earlier version of Aperture, here are some guidelines to assist you in a successful move to Aperture 3:

Before upgrading, it is recommended (though not required) that you perform a rebuild your Aperture library. To rebuild an Aperture library, hold down the Option and Command keys while opening your library in Aperture 1.5 or 2, then click the Rebuild Now button.
Aperture temporarily uses extra space on your hard drive during the upgrade process. This is for the purpose of backing up critical library info and insuring the integrity of your data during upgrade. If you don't have adequate space on your hard drive to accommodate the upgrade, Aperture will display a warning dialog. You may need to move your library to a different hard drive with more space in order to upgrade it, and then move it back to the original drive when the upgrade is complete. Any space used by Aperture during the upgrade is released and made available to you again once the upgrade has finished.
Keep in mind that fully upgrading a very large library is a one-time process that can take a long time; the process may take many hours or even overnight, depending on the size of the library. Once the initial database upgrade is complete, you can begin working with your Aperture library. However, post-upgrade processing will continue in the background for some time, as face detection and preview generation are performed. (A progress indicator and the word "Processing" will appear in the status line of the Viewer or Browser to indicate these operations are underway.) While you can work with Aperture while these operations are performed, you may experience temporary slow-downs. Optimal performance will return when all post-upgrade processing is complete.

Nothing here is making me want to rush an order out for A3 and I'm still undecided whether to move to Lightroom 3. I'm hoping the Focus show will enable me to view demos of both.

When LR3 is released, you will be able to download demos of both and see how they work with your images/computer.

Nothing here is making me want to rush an order out for A3 and I'm still undecided whether to move to Lightroom 3. I'm hoping the Focus show will enable me to view demos of both.

It's still way more usable than Aperture 2 was (being so slow and all!) and I haven't experienced the weird rendering thing that Gary gets and the watermark thing is VERY easy to overcome. Admittedly it should work how they say it does and I've got no doubt that it will shortly.

The only bug that I've experienced is random hanging but the update solved that problem and now it's very stable, and fast.

Back