Aperture blades going crazy in shutter priority. Anyone else had this?

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All, My Nikon af-p 70-300mm 4.5-5.6E is experiencing a weird fault where the aperture goes crazy (opening and closing really fast) when in shutter priority. It’s definitely a problem with the lens as it doesn’t happen with other lenses. It only happens in shutter priority mode and is worse in live view. I thought maybe it could be a problem with the metering communication between lens and camera.... but don’t really know much about it. I don’t really use shutter priority much but I’d like to know what the problem is as it’s my most expensive lens!! Thanks

I have no idea tbh but taking a stab in the dark, could it possibly be dirty contacts on the lens causing mal communication with the body?

Does it do it in manual if you stop down to say F11? What does it do if you press depth of field preview?
I'm wondering if it's there most of the time but shows up more in AV as thats setting the shuuter speed. Just a guess.
Out of couriousity in AV or program (if you have it) do you get an error message with flash? I had a lens with a dicky aperture and that only really showed up with flash giving an error, cant remember what now.

Does it do it in manual if you stop down to say F11? What does it do if you press depth of field preview?
I'm wondering if it's there most of the time but shows up more in AV as thats setting the shuuter speed. Just a guess.
Out of couriousity in AV or program (if you have it) do you get an error message with flash? I had a lens with a dicky aperture and that only really showed up with flash giving an error, cant remember what now.

It’s fine in manual regardless of the f-stop (there’s no depth of field preview).

It’s only in shutter priority or full auto - I.e. settings where the camera is attempting to automatically set the aperture and only in live view...

No error messages.

The camera is simply constantly adjusting the aperture to get to the correct exposure in shutter priority mode. I guess it’s one of the new features that E lenses have, that way the lens doesn’t have to stop down for each shutter release. On non-E lenses all metering is done wide open and only stopped down just before the shutter is opened. Fuji cameras used to do this too (look up Fuji aperture chatter).

That’s a reassuring explanation. Must just be that it looks weird in live view. I guess I’ve never had it on shutter priority before so not noticed it!

Are you running the latest firmware for your camera? If your firmware version is 1.00, then AF-P lenses aren't properly supported. Version 1.01 (released in January 2016) was the first to support AF-P. The current version is 1.02.

Back