Aperture for apple macbook pro

Name
Justin
Edit My Images
No
I would like some feedback on Apple Aperture please.

Im not a pro and prob not even a beginner lol but looking for something to just improve some images, ive also seen photoshop elements 9 but really dont know.

Im going to do the apple free trial later to have a play.

Lastly is there a set editing function that you always do to every shot before final changes and adjustments ?

thanks

Can't help with Aperture, but you may also to try Lightroom, which I use on my MacBook Pro without any problems.

Personally I don't like Aperture much, I think it's let down by its file management which is over complicated and slightly bizarre.
Features wise LR and Aperture are very similar, but LR has a better, clearer layout, and much simpler file management.
Im sure Aperture makes more sense once you sit down and get to grips with it, but I use Photoshop and im not really bothered about learning Aperture fully.
Given the choice of the two, I would have Lightroom over Aperture.

Download the trial nad have a play. Make sure you get version 3.1 though as it was a bit rubbish prior to this.

Aperture will automatically apply a certain amount of sharpening, contrast & saturation boost etc... to any RAW files you import. Once you know exactly what you want, you can tweak the settings for this.
Then you can go through and just tweak the images that need a bit extra.
Generally, my workflow now simply consists of straightening, cropping, exposure adjustment and any WB correction needed.

Not sure what the comment above about file management is about though. I keep everything in a Aperture managed library, so just create a new project in that, import the files into it and job done. It's not exactly rocket science :shrug:

Everyone I know who has tried Aperture, have ended up using Lightroom as they didn't like Aperture.

I think you won't really know what you are going to get out of these until you are Pro and start to need the functions, I use Aperture but I know I probably only use 1% of what it can or is meant to do.

If you want something to catalogue and pp some images then that could be one choice if you want something mainly for PP then that could be another.

Maybe iPhoto is enough for your cataloguing needs now and something like PS Elements for PP?

Pretty much all have trials so just give them a shot and see.

Even something like the free Picasa might be an option depending on where you are now and where you are going ;) http://picasa.google.com/mac/

Sorry to disagree with a couple of the other posters but I love Aperture and, having tried Lightroom, wouldn't consider a move that way.

Regarding the file management on Aperture, that's actually one of the things I really like about Aperture. I don't find it over complicated and I can find any images within seconds.

I use Aperture, but did use Lightroom.

It is a very different looking program but they both do the same job really.

I changed when I moved to a Macbook Pro, it integrates very well with the rest of the apple products like iweb etc.

I've installed 3.1 but i've not used it yet

Noob, first post, hello etc. I use Aperture and I like it. It was a natural progression from iPhoto for me. I tried lightroom and didn't get on with it. I missed some of the brushes that Aperture has. I guess it's a case of whatever you're used to?

Back