Aperture

Edit My Images
Yes
I use iphoto at present, and love it, however its very limited. I've used photoshop on a PC and know how powerful it is, but I much prefer the intuitive Apple approach. How does Aperture stack up against Elements? I'm not into special effects, but I would like to experiment with HDR.

They are not really competing packages. Why not download trials and try them.

I have been using Aperture since it came out. V.1 had some problems, but the latest version is simplicity itself; typically intuitive, as Apple products should be. I also have Lightroom 2 from Adobe, and Lightzone; I find Lightzone very useful, as it has a totally different way of working. Lightroom offers little over Aperture, (although some prefer it).
I still use Elements sometimes to do things which need layers, like masking, trimming, etc, which these other pieces of software can't do. I haven't used iPhoto for a long time.
As cowasaki says, try the free dowloads to get a feel for the differences; it is woth the time spent.

The interface of Aperture is clean and simple: user friendly. The library system is excellent too, and this is vital for photographers who dump large batches of images onto their computers.

I found I didn't get on too well with Aperture, because I had been used to using Lightroom 1, so Lightroom 2 felt much more intuitive to me. If you are coming from Lightroom though, I can imagine that Aperture will feel very natural, but as said above, try the trials.

Aperture won't let you do HDR on it's own, you'll need a plugin.
Might be worth waiting a month or so before purchasing (if you do decide Aperture is for you) as a new version (Aperture X) is rumored to be hitting the shelves before the end of the year.

I went through this process and i went with lightroom because i liked the fact that i could use it if god forbid if i ever went back to a PC...!!!

I also got annoyed with if you wanted to edit something in PS you had to export it then make the changes and then reimport the file as another file to use it in aperture again, same thing with using noise ninja.

LR allows you to edit it with PS and NN from inside LR and stores the changes in LR so you do not end up with masses of file.

I may of course be wrong in my understanding but that is my experience.

Mac

Aperture won't let you do HDR on it's own, you'll need a plugin.

The Photomatix plugin for aperture is not too expensive, and if there is an upgrade, there will doubtless be discounts available. I have recently bought, and been incredibly impressed by how well this plugin performs with Aperture.

I wouldn't wait for some yet-to-be announced upgrade - get processing!

I was on about an impending Aperture upgrade. No point spending cash on it now, only to have to buy the upgrade in potentially a few days time.

You can get the 30 day free trial, while you wait to see what is happening about the update. Everyone's happy!!!

I also got annoyed with if you wanted to edit something in PS you had to export it then make the changes and then reimport the file as another file to use it in aperture again, same thing with using noise ninja.

That's not strictly true. It does create a duplicate version but then it fires up PS and loads it, when you save and close the image is automatically updated back in Aperture. It's automatic, you don't export/import yourself. If you want to edit it again it uses the same version, it doesn't create another one.

The down side is that it isn't non-destructive and you cannot maintain layers in Aperture, even on the duplicate version.

I've used both Aperture 1.5 and now version 2 and love it !

the other posts describing at as similar to Adobe lightroom are correct, but there a hundreds of add-ins for aperture that give it much more functionality and bring it nearer to elements (well certainly to previous versions, not looked at V8 yet)

If you're used to Adobe then stick with it, but if you're new to this and want something that is a very good allrounder and easy to learn, then I'd absolutely recomend Aperture - BUT it doesn't do HDR (at least not yet...)

I am mid way through my free trial on aperture, and for very light work ie a bit of brightness/ contrast cropping and levels it is great and very quick and easy to use. for the odd dust spot removal also very handy. I wouldnt want to use it too much more than that preffering to use photoshop.

the way in which both iphoto and aperture organise photos is very good but I do prefer aperture, it just feels a litlte better to me.

interesting read

what's the price comparison of aperature and lightroom?

Aperture costs roughly half Lightroom, but for more accurate numbers Google is your friend ;)

Aperture costs roughly half Lightroom, but for more accurate numbers Google is your friend ;)

i don't really know what i need as i want to get into post processing, ins and outs and techniques, but if aperature is similar to lightroom and cost less, then it will be a positive for me ;-)

will google aperature to read up on it. what is the current version to look out for?

Only in the twilight zone, oh you corrected yourself .........

Lightroom is £80 if you are a student :)

There is a free trial, but if you are used to iPhoto you should pick Aperture up fairly quickly.

Back