Apeture. Is it as good as it looks?

I don't think it was ever meant to replace Photoshop.

But, for Lightroom, it offers a good challenge.

I used to use Lightroom, and decided to switch. I am not too happy with it so far, and I may be selling my copy to move back to Lightroom.

I hated it but then that was back when I couldnt get used to the idea of the extra step needed to add your pictures to a gallery.
But now I use Lightroom so I might have liked it.

I don't think it was ever meant to replace Photoshop.

But, for Lightroom, it offers a good challenge.

I used to use Lightroom, and decided to switch. I am not too happy with it so far, and I may be selling my copy to move back to Lightroom.

Well, I cant use PS to save my life but I can use the basics which apeture seems to cover!

I have had Aperture since I got the mac and at first i was not sure if it would be lightroom for me or Aperture, but I stuck with Aperture and will not be moving away from it.

I like the workflow within the program the printing and export options, and most of all the DAM capabilities of the software.

I have quite a few plugins as well and it is shaping up to be a great program, plus it is cheaper than Lightroom.

But saying all that it is a personal choice I made and not everyone will agree,

Nigel

If it's the basic features of Photoshop you were referring to, then yes it would replace it.

It's a good digital asset management (DMA) application, and competes well with Lightroom. However, it is one of those things that you either click with it or not.

As much as I love just about anything that comes from Apple, I just couldn't get to like this. I am sure it is not the fault of the application, as much as it is me attached to the "logical" way in which Lightroom worked. Also, I am finding hard to "unlearn" the way Lightroom does things, and, so I am finding it frustrating to use Aperture.

I have had Aperture since I got the mac and at first i was not sure if it would be lightroom for me or Aperture, but I stuck with Aperture and will not be moving away from it.

I like the workflow within the program the printing and export options, and most of all the DAM capabilities of the software.

I have quite a few plugins as well and it is shaping up to be a great program, plus it is cheaper than Lightroom.

But saying all that it is a personal choice I made and not everyone will agree,

Nigel

I don't doubt what you say one single bit, I am sure it gives Lightroom one good run for the money, especially since it is a lot cheaper too (about 1/2 the price).

Think I will download the trail and give it a whirl.

That's the logical thing to do; and I did that, got the trial version to test-drive it.

The funny thing is that with the trial, I tend to only use the very basic stuff and made my mind that it was good. Once I bought it, I started to push my limits and use it extensively, only then I realised that I wasn't able to like it :(

If you do test it, be sure to give it a good run; and then give Lightroom a good run too. Then decide on which of the two to get.

Could Aperture compete with Lightroom, well in the credit crunch era your damn right it can

Adobe Lightroom £211.69
Apple Aperture £126.01

Or is this just another sign of Adobes rip off pricing policy.

I tried it and find it convenient for fast pp but I hate his cataloguing system
So I've kept the couple NX/Elements6.0 which fits better to my habits. NX as raw converter, and Elements 6.0 for pp (I think that the full version of photoshop is unnecessary and if I need more elaborated tool I can use The Gimp).

Could Aperture compete with Lightroom, well in the credit crunch era your damn right it can

Adobe Lightroom £211.69
Apple Aperture £126.01

Or is this just another sign of Adobes rip off pricing policy.

.... or, a sign of Apple's competitive pricing strategy ;)

I tried a comparison between Aperture, including when we got the iMac and LR Mac, 30 day trial, and took the same file, did the closest I could manage to the same edits (hard given the sliders are all called different things) and I have to say I preferred the results of Aperture.

I tried both (LR2 and Aperture 2 that is) and much preferred Lightroom, but had been using LR 1 so was more used to the interface. I expect that had I been using iPhoto previously it would have been the other way round.

Matt - I thought you had tried Lightroom, how did you get on with it?

Back