Critique Aphids

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Well I've managed to cross one thing off my wish list this year, which is to capture an aphid giving birth (I've managed it twice in fact). Im not overly happy with the lighting i these, but at least I've got some shots and now know what to look out for. I had to shoot one handed, and these were on my wife's rose bush, so I couldn't cut a bit off to position better. Hopefully I'll find some on another plant that she's not bothered about and I can get some better ones:

Attack of the Clones! by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

A New Hope by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

In another area of the garden I also sw a couple of hoverfly larvae catching wandering aphids. Really fascinating to watch, even if it is a bit gruesome:

Revenge of the....Hoverfly Larva! by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

Here's a couple of other aphid species showing some of the diversity in the garden:

The Phantom Menace by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

Black Aphid by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

Apologies if I haven't commented on your posted images recently. I'm trying to keep up with all the new ones, but I'm struggling a bit (especially with all the time I need to spend processing my images). I'll hopefully be able to catch up with everyone soon.

Last edited:
Was gonna say I love the Aphids and something on my wish list.

But that larvae is just a simple stunner. It's just a perfect shot in my eyes. Love the colours.

Excellent shots Tim. Aphids dropping little aphids :)

Tim very hard to offer any comment as I've said it all before so it's - ditto - you take truly superb shots & always maintain a very high standard (y)

For me & my layman's eye number 2 is special :)

Wonderful stuff Tim, if you are lucky and have ants farming the aphids you can sometimes find wasp ant mimics doing their thing. ;)

Amazing Tim especially the second one :)
Well spotted and perfect timing

Ps i know what you mean about lack of time, at the moment Im out every spare moment as all the insects seem to emerge at the same time and theres not time to visit all of the sites to see them all
I catch up on here when Im on my break at work!

Back