Apple 20 inch Cinema monitor

Edit My Images
Yes
Looking for an external monitor to link up to my Macbook and came across one of these at the weekend... Does anyone have any thoughts/experience of using one? The output looked good from what I saw and I liked the fact that it didnt have the glossy screen of the new screens Apple are currently knocking out...

All thoughts appreciated

The 20" Apple Cinema display is very nice, sharp, smaller pixel spacing and the same resolution as many 22" displays helps it display a sharp colour accurate image. It's a shame Apple discontinued them. I looked for a good used one at a realistic price without success before buying my current Dell E-IPS display for my Powermac G5.

Try PC world, they have a few old stock 20" screens on the shelf in store. The Liverpool branch had 2 recently.

Try PC world, they have a few old stock 20" screens on the shelf in store. The Liverpool branch had 2 recently.

This is exactly where I found one... 'down south' though!

Was after peoples opinions as I know it's a fairly old model now and has been discontinued by Apple...

Well lets put the cat amongst the pidgeons...

4 of us use them at work linked with G5 machines and not one of us likes them. IMO the viewing angle is good but then we come to the nitty gritty, overpriced, poor refresh rate when moving images around in PS and the thing that gets me the most, the lack of being able to calibrate it.

I'm not trying to put you off but have a good look before you decide, try and see some of your photos on it.

Stu

can't comment on the 20" ones but I use a 23" cinema display for all my editing and its 'awesome'. highly recommended

Well lets put the cat amongst the pidgeons...

4 of us use them at work linked with G5 machines and not one of us likes them. IMO the viewing angle is good but then we come to the nitty gritty, overpriced, poor refresh rate when moving images around in PS and the thing that gets me the most, the lack of being able to calibrate it.

I'm not trying to put you off but have a good look before you decide, try and see some of your photos on it.

Stu

Critical feedback... like it! Any alternatives you'd recommend Stu, so I can compare?

I suppose it depends on what you want to spend, working in a repro studio colour is critical and we still use Lacie Crt's, I suppose if I were buting for work then it would have to be one of the Eizo range.

At home I use a calibrated Viewsonic 2025 and it blows the Apple away, trouble is they have long been discontinued. You could look at the wide gamut HP and Dell models but they both have issues.

Never easy getting a decent monitor is it! all I can say is try and see one before you decide, we can all give our opinions but actually seeing one is still the best way IMO.

Stu

We use Samsung 22" & 24" at work, beautiful things- very cheap compared to the cinema displays as well. http://www.ebuyer.com/product/150970

I have one of those as my secondary display, it's a TN panel but I used to use it as my main display plugged into my MB Pro until I got this 24" iMac.

Calibrates OK, although it's not as sharp as the iMac display.

Back